• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Barclays One Pulse oyster useless from tomorrow UPDATE now OK

Status
Not open for further replies.

FGWman

Thanks to radamfi for posting the twitter link below. It seems I was wrong and my One Pulse card will still work.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

richw

Veteran Member
So will it use it as a credit card to take payment or the oyster card element.
Assuming it is programmed to know which to take.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I've had the same email about contactless cards. I think this needs to be clarified as richw says. It seems a bit strange to intorduce a product which is then rendered useless by something that is meant to be an enhancement for customers!

Nym

Established Member
It has always been the case that a contactless card will look like an oyster card and vice versa, I was under the impression that the OnePulse did not have any contactless tech in it...?

jopsuk

Veteran Member
It is/was advertised as being able to be used for contactless payments for goods.

transmanche

Established Member
It seems a bit strange to intorduce a product which is then rendered useless by something that is meant to be an enhancement for customers!
It hasn't been available to new customers for a while - a couple of years I think. I assume that as cards get renewed, they'll just be a standard PayWave Barclaycard - and just not feature the Oyster element.

The OnePulse concept has been overtaken by events. TBH, it was poorly implemented anyway - with no link between the two parts (Oyster account and Barclaycard account). It didn't even have auto top-up automatically enabled!

And very poor customer service from Barclaycard not to keep you updated.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Thanks for that. It seems I was wrong. Thought they could have let me know rather than sending me an email telling me you can't present an oyster card and contactless card at the same time !

You can't do that at present in any case. If the device on which you are touches detects multiple cards it will give a failed validation.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
It hasn't been available to new customers for a while - a couple of years I think. I assume that as cards get renewed, they'll just be a standard PayWave Barclaycard - and just not feature the Oyster element.

The OnePulse concept has been overtaken by events. TBH, it was poorly implemented anyway - with no link between the two parts (Oyster account and Barclaycard account). It didn't even have auto top-up automatically enabled!

And very poor customer service from Barclaycard not to keep you updated.

My knowledge in this area is rather limited, thanks for the info, but I am glad clarification seems to have been issued!

Barn

Established Member
I wonder what checks an inspector can make on a bank card. What's the equivalent of the handheld oyster reader?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
When an inspector boards a bus and collects his inspector's ticket from the bus driver's ticket machine, it will have details of the debit/credit cards which have been used to touch in on that machine.

A machine is currently in development and will be ready in time for the rollout to the Underground (as obviously this solution would not work on the Underground!)

londonbridge

Established Member
When an inspector boards a bus and collects his inspector's ticket from the bus driver's ticket machine, it will have details of the debit/credit cards which have been used to touch in on that machine.

Was wondering and was gonna ask this,so you're saying the inspector would ask to check the card number against the list he has? I guess that's the only way they could do it and maintain the customers privacy as you can't really have RPI's scanning your debit/credit card and seeing where else it was used to make purchases.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Was wondering and was gonna ask this,so you're saying the inspector would ask to check the card number against the list he has? I guess that's the only way they could do it and maintain the customers privacy as you can't really have RPI's scanning your debit/credit card and seeing where else it was used to make purchases.

The debit card wouldn't have that information on it anyway.

When a machine comes in that scans cards it will simply cross-reference the number with a central system confirming where the card has been touched in and/or out.

Status
Not open for further replies.