• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bari / Brindisi to Lyon

Ian99

I'm in Greece at the moment and need to be in Lyon for Saturday 18 May to get the Sunday morning train to Lille and then Eurostar back to London. I've got interrail reservations for that bit (although the Lyon - Lille part could be cancelled without charge).

I'll get the boat to Bari or Brindisi and will stop once or twice overnight before the Saturday night in Lyon.

Any thoughts on a route I should take please, using trains reasonable with the interrail pass?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Iskra

Established Member
I'm in Greece at the moment and need to be in Lyon for Saturday 18 May to get the Sunday morning train to Lille and then Eurostar back to London. I've got interrail reservations for that bit (although the Lyon - Lille part could be cancelled without charge).

I'll get the boat to Bari or Brindisi and will stop once or twice overnight before the Saturday night in Lyon.

Any thoughts on a route I should take please, using trains reasonable with the interrail pass?
Get the train to Taranto, then get one of the 2 daily Diesel hauled loco services along the lengthy Ionian Coast line to Reggio Calabria, then a faster or sleeper train of your choosing from there up the West Coast. The diesel loco’s may be withdrawn soon, so it could be a last opportunity to do this route loco-hauled.

Last edited:

Ian99

Thanks for your thoughts. I'm more into routes and places to stop than the particular type of train but that route sounds good.

It looks like the closest to Lyon that I can get to from Reggio Calabria is Turin.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the getting from Turin to Lyon bit?

D6130

Established Member
Thanks for your thoughts. I'm more into routes and places to stop than the particular type of train but that route sounds good.

It looks like the closest to Lyon that I can get to from Reggio Calabria is Turin.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the getting from Turin to Lyon bit?
Unfortunately the direct line from Torino to Lyon is still closed as a result of the massive landslide near Modane last August. The Trenitalia Frecciarossa services are cancelled UFN. However a limited SNCF TGV service Is still running, with replacement buses between Oulx and St Jean du Maurienne. If you wish to travel all the way by train, I would suggest that you forget Torino and go up the West Coast to Genova - a fascinating city in its own right - and then along the riviera to Ventimiglia, Nice and Marseille, before heading up the Rhone Valley to Lyon.
Get the train to Taranto, then get one of the 2 daily Diesel hauled loco services along the lengthy Ionian Coast line to Reggio Calabria, then a faster or sleeper train of your choosing from there up the West Coast. The diesel loco’s may be withdrawn soon, so it could be a last opportunity to do this route loco-hauled.
Recent YouTube videos would seem to suggest that the new hybrid units have already taken over. :frown:

dutchflyer

Established Member
Currently myself on day36 of a 2-month such pass and sitting in strike-hit UK now. And booked myself Lyon-LIlle on the morning TGV 1 week later as you.
You did not say if it is a pass with ltd nr of traveldays or not-but the best value for money is of course in Swiss-compared to the sky-high normal fares there-plus an excellent train system with splendid views.
You are aware of the blocked direct line into FR/Lyon from Italy-along MOdane? So this also means you either have to pass Swiss-Rhone valley or the longer plan B along the FR Riviera-Marseille etc-which would not be my choice.
I also noted that prices for HTLs in LYon on a SAT-night were quite high, so search or perhaps think of an alternate place close by as St. Etienne

Iskra

Established Member
Unfortunately the direct line from Torino to Lyon is still closed as a result of the massive landslide near Modane last August. The Trenitalia Frecciarossa services are cancelled UFN. However a limited SNCF TGV service Is still running, with replacement buses between Oulx and St Jean du Maurienne. If you wish to travel all the way by train, I would suggest that you forget Torino and go up the West Coast to Genova - a fascinating city in its own right - and then along the riviera to Ventimiglia, Nice and Marseille, before heading up the Rhone Valley to Lyon.

Recent YouTube videos would seem to suggest that the new hybrid units have already taken over. :frown:
I hope not, I have an IC reservation in early June :(

Ian99

Many thanks everyone. Reference the hotel prices in Lyon, I see that I could stay in Chambery and still make a reasonable connection in Lyon before Lille & London.

At the moment, early June shows the first each way ex Taranto & Reggio as loco hauled, and the second each way as planned a unit (I also have a reservation foe early June!)

D6130

Established Member
At the moment, early June shows the first each way ex Taranto & Reggio as loco hauled, and the second each way as planned a unit (I also have a reservation foe early June!)
Perhaps you and @Iskra might have a "meeting other forum members unexpectedly" moment on the train from Taranto.... just like you and I very nearly did a couple of years ago on the Siena-Chiusi school train!
Many thanks everyone. Reference the hotel prices in Lyon, I see that I could stay in Chambery and still make a reasonable connection in Lyon before Lille & London.
....in which case you will have to take the RRB from Oulx!

For Italian journey planning - and a fair bit of real time running information - I can recommend the 'Train Times, Italy' app. Unfortunately the guy who developed it has now sold out to the Trainline....but it's still very useful and has regular updates, including for strikes, landslides, etc.

Ian99

Has anyone here done the bus substitution necessary from Turin to Chambery? How long is it?

Also am I reading it correctly that there is a similar bus requirement from Geneva to Lyon at Bellegarde?

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
If routeing via Milan you can go Milan-Simplon-Brig-Geneva and then a TER on to Lyon.
Chambery has some decently-priced hotels close to the station and is a nice overnight stop.
(This route won't work June 9-Sept 10 because of engineering work at Stresa with replacement bus Milan-Domodossola).

D6130

Established Member
Has anyone here done the bus substitution necessary from Turin to Chambery? How long is it?
No.... we've managed to avoid it by going via Ventimiglia or Genève. However, there is currently a TGV from Milano Porta Garibaldi at 14 10 (Torino Porta Susa 15 40) which arrives in Chambéry at 20 15.... including the coach connection.

nwales58

For scenery I would zig-zag Taranto-Salerno-Rome-Pescara or Ancona, if you like green hills and mountains. Doable with regional and Intercity, or a fast Frecce Naples-rome.

Milan-Domodossola-Brig avoids interrail supplements for the shortish bit in Italy.

D6130

Established Member
Perhaps! I’m travelling on 4 June….?
I’m the 5th of June, so close, but not quite!
I shall still be in Italy then....but taking my wife to Pisa on the 4th, for a morning flight back to Manchester on the 5th. I shall then be in Italy for another three weeks after that.... hopefully doing a bit of D445 bashing in Tuscany while they last.

Back to the topic:
For scenery I would zig-zag Taranto-Salerno-Rome-Pescara or Ancona, if you like green hills and mountains. Doable with regional and Intercity, or a fast Frecce Naples-rome.
While the Taranto-Potenza-Salerno and Roma-Sulmona-Pescara Lines are undoubtedly incredibly scenic, they are also incredibly slow....even on an InterCity. Would I be correct in thinking that you will be travelling arriving in Bari from Greece on the Thursday morning?

D6130: If it tallies with you being available, my plan is as follows, give me a shout:

3 Naples - Taranto
4 Taranto - Reggio - Villa S Giovanni - Catania
5 Catania
6 Catania - Rome
7 Rome
8 Rome - Gorizia Centrale

D6130

Established Member
D6130: If it tallies with you being available, my plan is as follows, give me a shout:

3 Naples - Taranto
5 Catania
6 Catania - Rome
7 Rome

3 Naples - Taranto
5 Catania
6 Catania - Rome
7 Rome
Unfortunately on those dates I am already committed to Tuscany trips with a GBRf driver friend.

Veteran Member
The timings on the SNCF website allow for the RRB but don't actually mention its existence. It adds about an hour to the normal journey.
Also am I reading it correctly that there is a similar bus requirement from Geneva to Lyon at Bellegarde?
It affects 18-20 May at Amberieu.

Unfortunately the very scenic alternative Martigny-Chamonix-St Gervais brings you to another RRB down to La Roche S/Foron.

To avoid RRBs you might be better off taking the Ventimiglia route.

Ian99

Thanks again for your input - there are some useful pointers therein.

My draft plan at the moment is:

Thursday - Depart Greece, arrive evening in Brindisi and stay overnight or stay on a different ferry overnight to Bari

Friday - To Bologna from Brindisi or Bari

Saturday - Bologna 0930 - Milan 1050 - Milan 1105 - Brig 1316 - Brig 1357 - Geneva 1631 - Geneva 1642 - Chambery 1817 (consider Domodossola stop and different timings to avoid reservation fees)

Sunday - Chambery 0844 - Lyon 1010 - Lyon 1100 - Lille 1424 - Lille 1630 - London

I can, if need be, leave Greece a day early and insert an extra overnight Italian stop....

urbophile

Established Member
If you wish to travel all the way by train, I would suggest that you forget Torino and go up the West Coast to Genova - a fascinating city in its own right - and then along the riviera to Ventimiglia, Nice and Marseille, before heading up the Rhone Valley to Lyon.
I'm doing that journey in the opposite direction from Marseille to Genova this Friday. Yes the latter is well worth an overnight stop: fans of history, baroque architecture and quirky urban transport systems would enjoy a day touring the city. However there are very few through trains along that coast. Trenitalia run Intercity (branding clearly borrowed from BR) between Genova and Ventimiglia, but then it's usually another train to Nice and yet another to Marseille. Genova-Milano-Génève-Lyon or Milano-Bern-Paris also involve changes but are slightly quicker.