• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Barnsley to Pontefract Tanshelf via Leeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

davart

I wonder if anyone can confirm whether it is a valid route to travel via Leeds on a Peak Anytime return from BNY to POT but change at Leeds.

I normally change at Wakefield Kirkgate or Castleford and Pontefract Monkhill.

I need to pop to Leeds on Friday so wondered if this is permitted.

I've asked a couple of conductors and ticket office staff but cannot get a definitive answer.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

robbeech

Established Member
I’m not convinced it is. I can’t get journey planners to give an itinerary and the journey would require a double back through Wakefield Kirkgate.
I’m not aware of any trains running north from Barnsley that don’t call at Kirkgate.
It’s also cheaper than a Leeds return so not going to be favoured by the tocs.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
I’m not convinced it is. I can’t get journey planners to give an itinerary and the journey would require a double back through Wakefield Kirkgate.
I’m not aware of any trains running north from Barnsley that don’t call at Kirkgate.
It’s also cheaper than a Leeds return so not going to be favoured by the tocs.

He wouldn't be doubling back through Wakefield if he goes from Barnsley to Leeds on a fast train then gets a Leeds to Pontefract stopper via Castleford. Admittedly he would be doubling back between Leeds and Methley Junction so maybe a Barnsley to Leeds return and a Castleford to Pontefract return would wenable him to make his journey?

robbeech

Established Member
<nonsense deleted>
That combination of tickets ought to work quite well and would avoid the lengthy trip in and out of Leeds on the unwanted part of the journey.

I think I’m right in deciphering that Maps AD + JL don’t include that bit of line between Leeds and Pontefract that way.

Last edited:

davart

I saw the AD and JL on the routeing Yellow Pages but to be perfectly honest, I couldn't see a reference for the abbreviations!

Buying another ticket is fine. Just wondered whether I could incorporate it into my usual journey.

It's not possible to buy a Barnsley to Pontefract Tanshelf ticket either. Have to get BNY to Pontefract Monkhill/Baghill.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I wonder if anyone can confirm whether it is a valid route to travel via Leeds on a Peak Anytime return from BNY to POT but change at Leeds.

I normally change at Wakefield Kirkgate or Castleford and Pontefract Monkhill.

I need to pop to Leeds on Friday so wondered if this is permitted.
As there is no BNY-POT fare, I have looked at BNY-PFM (Monkhill).

I concur with others; I can confirm it is not traceable via Leeds.
I've asked a couple of conductors and ticket office staff but cannot get a definitive answer.
This isn't surprising.

To obtain a definitive answer requires access to a routeing engine that is highly accurate and reliable, and diagnostic information about why the route is or isn't permitted.

Or alternatively a tedious manual lookup, which not many people have the relevant training or experience to do.

Therefore, this forum is the best place to obtain a definitive answer, though in some cases a definitive answer may not be possible because it might be open to interpretation.

Status
Not open for further replies.