• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Barton on Humber line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Failed Unit

Established Member
Few questions about this route now it is 156 operated if anyone can help.

1. Are the passengers happier?
2. Is the 156 the only cleared traction for the route. I know both 158s and 170s have used the route in the past but many years ago. I assume they will take over as the 156s are due to leave EMR.
3. Why are they still doing an ECS to swap the unit? The original plan was to swap the set in service so the 1743 Leicester to Cleethorpes would go to Barton, the 2200 Cleethorpes - Nottingham would be from the Barton line. I guess that now that service is normally as 170 it isn’t possible. But some days they have made the early morning / late night ECS between Cleethorpes and Lincoln a 4 car ECS.

thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

class 9

As Freightliner Drivers are operating the service, they've only been trained on 156s as far as I know, so no 158/170.

Failed Unit

Established Member
As Freightliner Drivers are operating the service, they've only been trained on 156s as far as I know, so no 158/170.
That will explain why the branch was shown a 158 as a result of the unit swap for the afternoon services when I looked in the morning but a 156 arrived instead. Thanks for that.

Crossover

Established Member
2. Is the 156 the only cleared traction for the route. I know both 158s and 170s have used the route in the past but many years ago. I assume they will take over as the 156s are due to leave EMR.

Technically, the 185 will still be cleared, though no longer used

Is this a short term thing until EMR drivers are trained up?

class 9

Technically, the 185 will still be cleared, though no longer used

Is this a short term thing until EMR drivers are trained up?
12 months initially

Last edited:

Grimsby town

Few questions about this route now it is 156 operated if anyone can help.

1. Are the passengers happier?
3. Why are they still doing an ECS to swap the unit? The original plan was to swap the set in service so the 1743 Leicester to Cleethorpes would go to Barton, the 2200 Cleethorpes - Nottingham would be from the Barton line. I guess that now that service is normally as 170 it isn’t possible. But some days they have made the early morning / late night ECS between Cleethorpes and Lincoln a 4 car ECS.

thanks in advance.

I saw a couple of Barton services while back in Grimsby recently. Both services had a couple of people on. The line has been in decline for the past few years because of how unreliable it had become. Hopefully the reliability will be better with 156s as that will be the key to winning passengers back.

Aaron1

Unfortunately the line is on its last legs and could only be a matter of time before route is cut completely as I can't imagine they make a profit on it, the bus from Grimsby to Barton and from Barton to Grimsby is both cheaper and quicker than the train, yes of course I appreciate the train calls at other stops which are not well served by a bus route.

If the route is cut then that is a disaster for Barton station and other places along the route but how long can EMR be expected to run an unprofitable route.

geoffk

Established Member
If the route is cut then that is a disaster for Barton station and other places along the route but how long can EMR be expected to run an unprofitable route.
Doesn't every TOC apart from Avanti and LNER run unprofitable routes? I wonder how many of Northern's routes are profitable.

Last edited:

Grimsby town

Unfortunately the line is on its last legs and could only be a matter of time before route is cut completely as I can't imagine they make a profit on it, the bus from Grimsby to Barton and from Barton to Grimsby is both cheaper and quicker than the train, yes of course I appreciate the train calls at other stops which are not well served by a bus route.

The bus is definitely around 15 minutes slower than train. I know there was a proposal to remove stops to speed up the service slightly a few years back. This was rejected by the friends of the Barton line which caused it to be dropped. Its maybe something that could be looked into again to improve the attractiveness of the service for through passengers.

A rail operator bus service from Barton to Hull connecting with every service would encourage more usage by Grimsby to Hull passengers.

Sometimes I wonder why the money couldn't be found to build a tunnel from Hull to New Holland when some reopenings that would cost a similar amount are being considered but link far smaller places. I doubt there is government willingness though.

I think'll take more than just 156s to win passengers back though.

Status
Not open for further replies.