• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Basingstoke to London Routes

Status
Not open for further replies.

IainH

I'm trying to work out what routes a Basingstoke to London Terminals Route Any Permitted season is valid by, with a particular interest in South London. I’m not expert at all with the routing guide, but here goes.

Basingstoke is a routing point, and all the London terminals referred to below are in the London Terminals group routing point.

The permitted maps are:-

LE - gives the direct route via Woking to London Terminals, the obvious terminal being Waterloo.

PZ - which gives the route via Reading to Paddington.

PZ+WX - which gives via Reading then Ascot - Hounslow/Richmond - Clapham Jct - London.

So far so good.

BU + WX

I think this allows Basingstoke - Weybridge - Virginia Water - London via the touch point at Weybridge, which seems OK. This would also allow changing at Woking for Virginia Water on the days when the service runs that way.

BU also gives Basingstoke - Wimbledon - Streatham then Nunhead, Herne Hill and Peckham Rye, but these three end points are not then directly linked to London Terminals. So this I think makes them irrelevant.

Looking at the WX map at the London end, the map just draws a line from Clapham Junction to the London terminals routing group, not to specific stations.

So I think it is accepted that this allows Clapham Junction to Victoria, and also to Waterloo, and by changing at Waterloo to Charing Cross, London Bridge, and by changing there again Cannon St and Blackfriars/City Thameslink.

However it would seem reasonable, given that no detail is given on the map between Clapham Junction and the London routing group, that you could change at Clapham Junction and travel via Denmark Hill to Blackfriars. A variation would also be Clapham Junction to London Bridge via Peckham Rye. National Rail supports the first, but with two tickets, and will allow the latter.

A further routing that would make sense would be changing at Wimbledon to go via Tooting direct to Blackfriars. If you start a journey at Wimbledon it is definitely a permitted route, as a direct service, but coming from a distance and changing it appears not to be using the journey planners.

In all these examples the mileages are slightly higher than going via Waterloo. Clapham Junction - Blackfriars via Denmark Hill is 7.5 miles, 6 miles via Waterloo/London Bridge so within the 3 mile tolerance. Clapham Junction to London Bridge via Peckham Rye is 8.25 miles, 5 miles via Waterloo. So outside the 3 mile tolerance but within the booking engine 5 mile tolerance. Wimbledon to Blackfriars via Tooting adds 4 miles.

As both origin and destination are routing points, fare check is irrelevant.

I cannot find any relevant easements or negative easements that apply to these journeys.

So my question is, are these routes valid with a season? They all appear not to be circuitous but are mildly longer by distance.

Basingstoke -> Clapham Junction -> Peckham Rye -> London Bridge

Basingstoke ->Clapham Junction -> Denmark Hill -> Blackfriars

Basingstoke -> Wimbledon ->Tooting -> Blackfriars

Finally given the lack of detail on the map between Clapham Junction and the London routing group, what prevents travel to Euston via Willesden Junction changing at Clapham Junction? This is a rail only route to that particular London terminal.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

greatkingrat

Established Member
You can take any route from Clapham Junction to a London terminal as long as you don't pass through another routeing point. Denmark Hill (and Willesden Junction) are both routeing points so you can't travel via either of them unless they are specifically shown on the map.

IainH

Thanks for that. But is the requirement not to pass through another routing point over-ridden by the 3 or 5 mile rule? Also is there a map showing all routing points? As in this case it is not straightforward to see if you are passing through one.

greatkingrat

Established Member
They are two separate rules. Denmark Hill is not a mapped route, but that doesn't stop it potentially being valid under the shortest route rules.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If you'd like me to check the validity of a particular route, I am happy to do so, if you please provide an itinerary which follows the route in question?

If you use www.fastjp.com you can specify up to 3 via and up to 3 avoid locations (via can include changing/calling at; avoid can include not changing/calling at), you can paste the URL into this thread.

JB_B

Established Member

As far as I can see, all of these routes are comfortably within the 3 mile limit.

The first and third are ~1.5 and ~2.5 miles longer than the shortest route from Basingstoke to Blackfriars.

The second is ~2.5 miles longer than the shortest route from Basingstoke to London Bridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.