• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Basque Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

Train jaune

Recently had a trip to the Basque Country in Spain staying between Bilboa and St Sebastian. Took the opportunity to ride the Eskotren to both cities on a couple of days out. Metre gauge railway with new trains and an obviously large amount of money has been thrown at the system. In addition to the new CAF trains the infastructure is impressive too with new built stations, some built over in towns to create "underground" stations. All very impressive, just wonder who paid for it all and was it in fact you and me via EU contributions. As an aside I finished my trip driving to Santander and even more money has been showered on the motorway.

Attachments

• DSCN0197.jpg
    DSCN0197.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 49
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Yes it's an interesting setup.
I did Hendaye to San Sebastian on Euskotren, and then Renfe on to Madrid a couple of years ago.
You'll be pleased to know that they are extending the AVE line from Burgos to form the "Basque Y" to Bilbao and San Sebastian, though much of it will be single track.
And I believe they are extending dual gauge track from Irun to the start of the (standard gauge) AVE line, to allow through freight to run from France to Madrid.
Shedloads of money indeed, for a very small number of daily trains.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Barcelona is very similar - practically every railway within the city limits put underground and a variety of national, regional, Metro and tram lines on a total of three different track gauges. Most are under an (almost) unified fare tariff. Madrid is similar but a bit simpler. I believe the Spanish claim to deliver metros at lower cost than nearly anyone else, and the newer ones certainly seem the equal of anywhere else in quality.

duesselmartin

Established Member
Of course many southern and eastern European projects are EU cohesion fund financed. Just as Irish projects were in the 1990s. Do they always make economic sense? Probably not, but its often important to the communty on non-economic terms

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Can highly recommend a trip the other side of the border to the French Basque region. A couple of excellent tourist lines including the Petit train de la Rhune & the outstanding Le Petit train d'Artouste- a ride up there with the most spectacular in the world & a chance to hand feed friendly marmots from the train.

rf_ioliver

Of course many southern and eastern European projects are EU cohesion fund financed. Just as Irish projects were in the 1990s. Do they always make economic sense? Probably not, but its often important to the communty on non-economic terms

And the UK gets some of this money too!

The point being in that by distributing wealth it "lifts" all areas economically.

Getting back on topic, Bilbao is a fantastic city (and the trains too)

t.

Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.