• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bathgate - Drumgelloch contracts

Status
Not open for further replies.

I read today that 3 £100M contracts have been awarded for the Bathgate - Drumgelloch line. New stations are to be built at Armadale, Caldercruix and Drumgelloch. I'm guessing that the contracts are for:-
1) Laying down new line and (possibly) doubling the single line sections (e.g. at Uphall),
2) OHLE installation from Haymarket to Drumgelloch, and
3) New stations.
The article quite clearly stated that a new station is to be built at Drumgelloch. There's one there already. Are they going to have 2 seperate rail systems (similar to that at Ormskirk), is Drumgelloch station to be rebuilt, or is the article a load of hairy spherical objects? I think it was The Metro where I saw it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

me123

Established Member
From The Airdrie-Bathgate Website.

NETWORK RAIL AWARDS £100m RAIL LINK CONTRACTS

Tuesday April 28, 2009

Network Rail has awarded three contracts worth a combined £100m as major construction work begins on the new Airdrie-Bathgate Rail Link.

• Carillion has been awarded an £80m contract to build new stations at Caldercruix, Armadale and Drumgelloch and a range of other new structures and earthworks. The company will also carry out ground treatment and filling operations.

• BAM Nuttall will deliver the new station at Bathgate, the new platform at Airdrie and a range of bridge works and earthworks in a £14m contract.

• C Spencer has been awarded a £6m contract to build the new light maintenance depot in Bathgate.

The three companies will begin work this spring and all works will be completed by autumn 2010 ahead of the reopening of the railway in December 2010.

Funded by Transport Scotland, the £300m rail link will provide an additional passenger route through the central belt between Edinburgh and Glasgow, with four trains each hour in each direction.

The electrified railway will also connect communities not currently served by rail to the country’s two main cities and improve access to employment, education, health and leisure opportunities as well as promoting a sustainable alternative to the car.

Ron McAulay, Network Rail director Scotland, said: “Strategically and economically, the Airdrie-Bathgate Rail Project is vital for the continuing development of Scotland’s public transport network, providing enhanced accessibility and mobility to a growing population in the Central Belt and creating an additional rail link between the country’s two largest cities.

“The awarding of these contracts marks a major step in the delivery of this project and we look forward to working with Carillion, BAM Nuttall and C Spencer to create a first-class route and facilities for the travelling public.”

Transport Minister Stewart Stevenson said: “These contracts will be a real boost to the construction industry and will deliver major rail improvements for Scotland. I am delighted to see the progress today - a key element of our transport investment programme.

“We’ll see new stations, new platforms, maintenance depots and structural work - all part of a total investment of £300 million to deliver the new Airdrie-Bathgate Rail link.”

Drumgelloch is to be relocated 550 metres to the East of the existing station. I'm under the impression that the old station will close to allow the work to take place, then the new station will open with the line

The other two stations are at Caldercruix and Armadale. There's may also be one at Blackridge, which will open later, and perhaps one at Plains if there's demand. Stations between Airdrie and Bathgate will only be served half-hourly.

Caldercruix, according to the Airdrie and Coatbridge Advertiser, may throw a spanner in the works. Local residents don't like the idea of a station because it will "act as a hub for anti-social behaviour". Interesting; I was under the impression that Caldercruix was a hub for anti-social behaviour. I hope it doesn't delay the project, though. It may cause a delay anyway because of the relocation, but it would be annoying for a handful of people to use this argument to stop others getting the benefit.

OK, thanks for that. I shouldn't believe what they print in the papers, particularly The Metro! It's only good for the Sudoku puzzle anyway!

Status
Not open for further replies.