• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Batley Bump

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D6130

Established Member
Yes....although not as bad as it used to be. Slightly OT - but on a similar topic on the nearby Calderdale line - the sideways lurch on the Up line at the underbridge at the West end of Bankhouse Tunnel has returned. It's a difficult one, engineering wise, because there's a transition from curved to straight rail about a third of the way along a straight timber waybeam.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Is there still rough riding over the subway at Batley station where the bump is ?
As Batley is my home station, I rarely experience this particular quirk... the sideways jerk at Mirfield on the platform 2 line I'm much more familiar with. Always quite entertaining to see which people in the "ballroom" don't grab onto something in anticipation!

Spartacus

Established Member
It's not one that can really be remedied without rebuilding the subway, eliminating it, or seriously reducing the linespeed though Batley.

When the 185s were introduced the combination of their 'seaworthy' ride and the Batley bump could have a quite seriously impact on some passengers, which could be quite fun to watch as long as nobody got hurt. There was an almost as serious bump at Batley box around the same time that caught out some who were aware of the one at Batley station.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
It's not one that can really be remedied without rebuilding the subway, eliminating it, or seriously reducing the linespeed though Batley.

When the 185s were introduced the combination of their 'seaworthy' ride and the Batley bump could have a quite seriously impact on some passengers, which could be quite fun to watch as long as nobody got hurt. There was an almost as serious bump at Batley box around the same time that caught out some who were aware of the one at Batley station.
I'm not sure what stage the plans are at, but the subway at Batley will almost certainly be replaced with an accessible footbridge as part of the Trans-Pennine upgrade. Hopefully there's room in the budget to sort out the bump, rather than just filling the subway in.

Halish Railway

Established Member
I'm not sure what stage the plans are at, but the subway at Batley will almost certainly be replaced with an accessible footbridge as part of the Trans-Pennine upgrade. Hopefully there's room in the budget to sort out the bump, rather than just filling the subway in.
As well as the ballast, sleepers and track due to them being life-expired and the raised linespeed requiring a higher cant.

There was a graph of the intended linespeeds being shown in a presentation that showed the linespeed through Batley being raised to about 90mph, although plans may have changed since then.

tpjm

"Batley Bump" has to be eliminated in order to deliver the TRU line speeds. Similarly, the new proposed fast lines and associated track work on the slows may see the end of the TPE company speed restriction over Heaton Lodge Junction.

Starmill

Veteran Member
the new proposed fast lines and associated track work on the slows may see the end of the TPE company speed restriction over Heaton Lodge Junction.
Would be fairly worrying if it didn't after the amount of money being spent on that area.

mike57

Established Member
There was a similar 'lurch' eastbound at the entrance to the Standedge tunnel which seems to have lessened but not disappeared over recent years. I can remember on one occasion the drinks trolley got toppled, fortunately the surrounding carriage structure means it was just leaning at an angle with stuff on the floor, and no harm occured, but trolley sales person was quite shocked, they were new I think, as I would see regulars take 'refuge' around this point.

geoffk

Established Member
I used to go through Batley fairly often but nearly always on a train which stopped there, so I wasn't aware of the bump. What I mostly remember is the lurch at Heaton Lodge westbound on to the Huddersfield line. Batley Bump and Harrington Hump could be the names of beers!

Established Member
The Up is where its worst.
You're right. You know, I still mix them up on L&Y routes... it's so much easier working on a north south route. But, Up to Manchester (L&Y's Hunts Bank Office)...?! :lol:

tpjm

“Marsden Flick” is my affectionate term for the crossover east of Marsden station. The tail end of a 185 can be interesting if you have a driver in a hurry - most will wait until the rest of the train is over the points before taking power for an earlier speed increase, but not all!

SteveM70

Established Member
But, Up to Manchester (L&Y's Hunts Bank Office)...?!

It took me a while to remember which was up and which was down when I moved up here, until someone pointed out the name of the railway and the order of the counties in it gave a clue. I suppose Lancashire have to come first at something :lol:

david_g

It took me a while to remember which was up and which was down when I moved up here, until someone pointed out the name of the railway and the order of the counties in it gave a clue. I suppose Lancashire have to come first at something :lol:
L&Y at Batley? Wash your mouth out with soap, it's the Premier Line. :D

Fokx

There was a similar 'lurch' eastbound at the entrance to the Standedge tunnel which seems to have lessened but not disappeared over recent years. I can remember on one occasion the drinks trolley got toppled, fortunately the surrounding carriage structure means it was just leaning at an angle with stuff on the floor, and no harm occured, but trolley sales person was quite shocked, they were new I think, as I would see regulars take 'refuge' around this point.

If it’s the lurch heading into Stanedge Eastbound on the down line just after Diggle Jn signal box and passing loop it’s definitely still there.

I found that out the hard way when I was flung into the electrical cupboard (opposite the standard toilet) mid-ticket check and ended up with a very mild concussion a few months back :lol:

Crossover

Established Member
"Batley Bump" has to be eliminated in order to deliver the TRU line speeds. Similarly, the new proposed fast lines and associated track work on the slows may see the end of the TPE company speed restriction over Heaton Lodge Junction.

Is that the one coming from Deighton towards Mirfield at the turnout from what was the Leeds New Line? If so, I had thought the lurch had been improved of late, but didn't realise it was via a company mandated speed restriction!

mike57

Established Member
If it’s the lurch heading into Stanedge Eastbound on the down line just after Diggle Jn signal box and passing loop it’s definitely still there.

I found that out the hard way when I was flung into the electrical cupboard (opposite the standard toilet) mid-ticket check and ended up with a very mild concussion a few months back :lol:
Yes thats the one. The day the refreshment trolley got toppled the driver was driving harder than usual, we were a bit late and whilst I dont think (and to make it clear I am not suggesting) he was exceeding line speed he was braking later and harder and accelerating harder, obviously to try and make up a bit of time. I think it may have been the combination of lurch and braking, plus it was a 185 which seem to suffer more than some other units.

Status
Not open for further replies.