• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Battersea Park

Status
Not open for further replies.

autotank

Passing through today I noticed the junction has been removed to allow platform 3 to be extended. Does anyone know what the final track layout will be - presumably with only one Overground train a day using the line from Wandsworth Road platform 1 will be closed?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Southern Dvr

Platform 1 is now devoid of track. I'm not sure but I suspect the line from Wandsworth Road to Battersea will be now be singled. I'm somewhat surprised that they haven't left two platforms at Battersea for when they can't get to Clapham Jnc.

Chris125

Established Member
I'm somewhat surprised that they haven't left two platforms at Battersea for when they can't get to Clapham Jnc.

They only need one platform to turn back the Overground service at Clapham so a similar arrangement at Battersea Park should suffice.

Chris

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
The pointwork was already such that platform 1 was no good for reversing back towards Wandsworth Road without a double shunt, I think?

Singling the whole stretch would probably cost more than just leaving the current pointwork and signalling as it is, as well as giving that little bit less flexibility (LOROL like units passing each other just before a terminus to maximise turnaround). I'd suggest we won't see that, certainly not until the whole lot needs resignalling.

ushawk

Established Member
Platform 1 is now devoid of track. I'm not sure but I suspect the line from Wandsworth Road to Battersea will be now be singled. I'm somewhat surprised that they haven't left two platforms at Battersea for when they can't get to Clapham Jnc.

There is an alternative line from Victoria to Clapham Jct, cant remember the names of the route though.

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
There is an alternative line from Victoria to Clapham Jct, cant remember the names of the route though.

It's the Battersea Reversible route, round the front of Stewart's Lane, but platforms 1 and 2 were never for getting from Victoria to Clapham Junction, the post you are quoting is referring to the Overground.

Southern Dvr

The pointwork was already such that platform 1 was no good for reversing back towards Wandsworth Road without a double shunt, I think?

Singling the whole stretch would probably cost more than just leaving the current pointwork and signalling as it is, as well as giving that little bit less flexibility (LOROL like units passing each other just before a terminus to maximise turnaround). I'd suggest we won't see that, certainly not until the whole lot needs resignalling.

Thing is (from what I could see pulling in yesterday) the point work at the country end has gone. The signals are all switched out, as you'd expect.

The alternative route (currently only signed by Victoria & Selhurst) from Victoria to Clapham is via Stewarts Lane & Pouparts Jn. There is also the route from Victoria to Wandsworth Road via The Cabbage Patch.

Last edited:

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Ah OK, if it's already gone then out of the window goes my spiel.

Overground haven't been running either of their two trains a day up that way this week, and they aren't this week either (I remember seeing that in the TfL forward looking track closures document and feeling slightly bemused), so I'd guess we don't have the finished product yet.

Whereas before the country end crossover would have needed points at both ends, with no track in platform 1 and no bidirectional working only one set of points is now needed, but they are still very much needed somewhere as else the Overground doesn't have anywhere to go back right line. It'll be interesting to hear how this turns out.

Cabbage Patch is a new one on me :), is that the Stewarts Lane/Southeastern route that goes under the Waterloo lines?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.