• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Battery powered trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

7ftBroad

Just seen a Tom Scott YouTube on Solar powered train, in Australia. 1949 train 1 diesel taken off one left on for back up. The train has solar panels and a battery. The station has solar panels and battery storage. So much electric is produced some is sent onto grid. My thought is with all land by lines could this be given over solar panels. Underfloor induction charging at stations. Battery packs to hold solar panel at stations with two way link to national
Grid. This could cut down on the need for more lines and a big saving on fuel. I know we don't get the sunshine of oz put this could be trailed on branch lines like Golden Valley. Stop over at Swindon would be ideal to top up battery. Kimble, Stroud, Stonehouse Glouster and Cheltenham topping up battery.

Would love to think what others think

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Chris125

Established Member
Would love to think what others think

Totally impractical I'm afraid, very little of the lineside would be suitable for solar panels - it's mostly narrow with very poor access for installation and maintenance, faces all directions, has trains passing by throwing up dirt and dust, often sloped, and usually overlooked by tall walls/fences/vegetation.

bastien

I can think of several BIG stretches of South facing embankment & cutting straight off the top of my head. And if dirt and dust are a problem, how come they put them next to motorways?

a_c_skinner

Established Member
Slopes are good, they help face the sun. Railways have two slopes (one each side obviously) so large parts will be reasonably well placed. OTOH dirt and maintainence are an issue, I've no idea how often that is needed.
Judging by the linesides I see biomass would be a better plan. :)

I cannot see inductive charging being practical in the near future looking at the time some even moderately novel ideas take to come to fruition. Even straightforward last mile(s) battery (Windermere??) seems to lack impetus.

Status
Not open for further replies.