• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Battlefield and Embsay and Bolton lines??

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRS37412

What locos are on the Battlefield railway and the Embsay and Bolton railway please??
Thank you so much in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
What locos are on the Battlefield railway and the Embsay and Bolton railway please??
Thank you so much in advance.
Have you tried their websites?

From what I can make out

Battlefield appears to have diesels 20087, 33053 and steam locomotive 7822 operational, the latter on hire, but I think there are other locomotives out of service.

From Facebook postings, it looks Embsay has a few diesels 03078, 08773, 20110 and 37294 operational, together with steam locomotives Beatrice and Cumbria, but again I think other locomotives are on site out of service.

Both railways tend to operate one train services given the nature of the lines, so it would take a long time to get haulage from everything they have.

41E

I’m afraid I can’t directly answer your question as I don’t have an up to date copy of it, but there’s a book called Britain’s Heritage Railways available from Platform 5 Publishing that provides stock lists for all standard gauge heritage railways in Britain. Hope that helps!

D Williams

Battlefield has hired in steam engines for a long time. Currently 7822 is there. I visited last year and enquired about the Peckett " Sir Gomer" ( ex Mountain Ash colliery) which was put on the market a couple of years ago. A volunteer told me there is now a vague plan to raise some cash and fix it. I don't think they have any other steam engines, certainly not in working order if the rest of the place is anything to go by.

railfan99

Established Member
How is patronage on these two railways?

On a forthcoming Eurail, I am planning to significantly increase coverage of preserved lines but have omitted these as one can't do every line in three or four overseas trips. The longer the better, with neither especially lengthy.

Embsay and Bolton's September operations for its preserved autocar look tempting, though.

D Williams

I doubt you would have any trouble finding a seat at the Battlefield Line but getting there isn't easy unless you have a car. Which of the UK heritage railways have you already visited?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I doubt you would have any trouble finding a seat at the Battlefield Line but getting there isn't easy unless you have a car.
There is a bus service to Market Bosworth from Leicester, although it is then a short walk to the station from the centre of Market Bosworth. Alternatively, there are less frequent bus services from Atherstone to Shackerstone.

For what it is worth, there is a bus from Skipton to Embsay, or it is just about walkable.

midland1

7822 is not at the Battlefield line it was unable to come back after going away after Christmas, its on their website.

Magdalia

Established Member
I doubt you would have any trouble finding a seat at the Battlefield Line but getting there isn't easy unless you have a car.
My only visit to the Battlefield Line was a long time ago. I took my bicycle on a class 350 from Euston and cycled from Nuneaton to Shenton.

For what it is worth, there is a bus from Skipton to Embsay, or it is just about walkable.

And I have done that walk. It is about 2 miles and quite hilly.

But in both cases I was much younger and fitter than I am now!

alexl92

Established Member
Locos in service at Embsay are Austerity loco Cumbria, Hunslet 16” Beatrice and Bagnall 18” no. 401. The Bagnall is on loan as part of a swap with Embsay resident Hudswell Clarke Illingworth/Nightingale/Seacole so later in the year you may find they have swapped back. Embsay also usually hire in a loco over summer too - last year it was meant to be GWR 813 but after it failed, they hired 52322 from Andy Booth instead.

Barclay No.22 is also apparently back in service I believe but haven’t seen it out on services yet and I think it’s unlikely to be used on anything other than vintage trains.

The diesels currently in service are a class 37, an 08 which doesn’t generally see passenger service, and an 03 which does occasionally. There is also the railcar mentioned already. They recently acquired a 20 but I don’t believe it’s in service yet.

Im sure you’ve done your research but be aware that whilst it’s a gorgeous little line with a lot of character, I’d say you could only really spend half a day there unless you fancy doing multiple round trips. It is however worth combining with a walk around Bolton Abbey.

Falcon1200

Established Member
Having never visited Embsay, and as they have a rather nice Class 37 (294), I was pleased to discover that they are within possible walking distance of Skipton, making a trip by train feasible. I was even more pleased to see that they have a Rail Ale Day at the end of August with a connecting bus from Skipton; Only when I went to enter the dates in my diary did I notice that this was in 2022! But I have subscribed to their news updates and hopefully something similar will happen this year.

xotGD

Established Member
Having never visited Embsay, and as they have a rather nice Class 37 (294), I was pleased to discover that they are within possible walking distance of Skipton, making a trip by train feasible. I was even more pleased to see that they have a Rail Ale Day at the end of August with a connecting bus from Skipton; Only when I went to enter the dates in my diary did I notice that this was in 2022! But I have subscribed to their news updates and hopefully something similar will happen this year.
The time I went for the 37 it was on load 2 and the whole day was a total stagger with barely a trace of thrash. Red pen, yes. But minimal entertainment.

alexl92

Established Member
Locos in service at Embsay are Austerity loco Cumbria, Hunslet 16” Beatrice and Bagnall 18” no. 401. The Bagnall is on loan as part of a swap with Embsay resident Hudswell Clarke Illingworth/Nightingale/Seacole so later in the year you may find they have swapped back. Embsay also usually hire in a loco over summer too - last year it was meant to be GWR 813 but after it failed, they hired 52322 from Andy Booth instead.

Barclay No.22 is also apparently back in service I believe but haven’t seen it out on services yet and I think it’s unlikely to be used on anything other than vintage trains.

The diesels currently in service are a class 37, an 08 which doesn’t generally see passenger service, and an 03 which does occasionally. There is also the railcar mentioned already. They recently acquired a 20 but I don’t believe it’s in service yet.

Im sure you’ve done your research but be aware that whilst it’s a gorgeous little line with a lot of character, I’d say you could only really spend half a day there unless you fancy doing multiple round trips. It is however worth combining with a walk around Bolton Abbey.
The 20 apparently made its first runs today.

The time I went for the 37 it was on load 2 and the whole day was a total stagger with barely a trace of thrash. Red pen, yes. But minimal entertainment.
Their standard train is roughly 5 mk1 coaches now. Probably still not enough to really test the 37 but certainly better than load 2.

E759

How is patronage on these two railways?

On a forthcoming Eurail, I am planning to significantly increase coverage of preserved lines but have omitted these as one can't do every line in three or four overseas trips. The longer the better, with neither especially lengthy.

Embsay and Bolton's September operations for its preserved autocar look tempting, though.
Worth visiting E&BAR for the NER autocar alone in my opinion. Only NER autocar with a wifi router in the electronics bay as far as I am aware! Combine with a visit to Skipton castle and boat trip on the canal or if you like a long walk, the Priory. Some lovely carriages and worth upgrading to First Class.

railfan99

Established Member
Worth visiting E&BAR for the NER autocar alone in my opinion. Only NER autocar with a wifi router in the electronics bay as far as I am aware! Combine with a visit to Skipton castle and boat trip on the canal or if you like a long walk, the Priory.

Yes, I changed my mind: many thanks and will hopefully stay two nights at Skipton, doing KWVR on a Sunday. E&BAR operates on Monday, when it is the autocar. Annoyingly the two nicest looking pub/hotels claim to be 'booked out' on the days I'm there: annoying, but perhaps they want Friday to Sunday bookings not Saturday to Monday.

I am very surprised it runs on Mondays but perhaps the occasional road coach group books. Goodness knows who else would be able to visit on a working day like that apart from retired people.

E759

Yes, I changed my mind: many thanks and will hopefully stay two nights at Skipton, doing KWVR on a Sunday. E&BAR operates on Monday, when it is the autocar. Annoyingly the two nicest looking pub/hotels claim to be 'booked out' on the days I'm there: annoying, but perhaps they want Friday to Sunday bookings not Saturday to Monday.

I am very surprised it runs on Mondays but perhaps the occasional road coach group books. Goodness knows who else would be able to visit on a working day like that apart from retired people.
Rough figures but UK steam railway visitors is something like this: 51% retired, 48% families and 1% enthusiasts. Figures change inside and outside of school holidays. Gala weekends skew the figures totally so can give the false impression that steam railways are visited mainly by enthusiasts.

E&BAR do indeed have coach parties visiting. My first ride on the autocar was alongside a coach party. On a week day!

I usually take a taxi from Skipton station and walk back. But get a card from the driver and give them a call when you are ready to return if you prefer.

InkyScrolls

Embsay and Bolton railway
It's the Embsay & Bolton Abbey Railway. Definitely worth visiting for the scenery if nothing else. Excellent catering as well! And if you like industrial locos (which I do!) then it's a gem. Half an hour walk from Skipton railway station to Embsay, gently uphill most of the way. Their prices tend to be pretty reasonable as well. On two-train days, if you've done one round trip and fancy something a bit different, I suggest alighting at Holywell Halt (request stop so be sure to ask the guard before leaving Embsay) and catching the other train on its way back from Bolton Abbey. A lovely little station but not really anywhere to go from it directly other than back to Embsay.

There is a bus service to Market Bosworth from Leicester, although it is then a short walk to the station from the centre of Market Bosworth. Alternatively, there are less frequent bus services from Atherstone to Shackerstone.

Last time I went to E+BSR the bus service from Skipton to Embsay was a bit patchy, so I walked it in about 50 mins IIRC its somewhat uphill on the way out
If your'e doing it by bus Bolton Abbey Station is easier to get to. Reasonable Service from Ilkley including Sundays. About a 10 min walk from bus stop again IIRC

Veteran Member
Last time I went to E+BSR the bus service from Skipton to Embsay was a bit patchy, so I walked it in about 50 mins IIRC its somewhat uphill on the way out
If your'e doing it by bus Bolton Abbey Station is easier to get to. Reasonable Service from Ilkley including Sundays. About a 10 min walk from bus stop again IIRC
The bus services have changed yet again :(
Bolton Abbey Station - SO from Skipton and Harrogate on the 59
Bolton Bridge (easy walk) - daily except Tu and Th from Ilkley
Embsay - daily except Saturday (!) from Skipton Bus Station, Sunday from Ilkley.

Embsay - daily except Saturday (!) from Skipton Bus Station, Sunday from Ilkley.
Thanks for this update
Its been about 6 years since I went there last.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
It looks like there are intensive days of running planned for the Embsay line on Sunday 7 / Monday 8 May with a Mixed Traction Gala planned to celebrate the 25th anniversary of trains running to Bolton Abbey.
https://www.embsayboltonabbeyrailway.org.uk/events/mixed-traction-gala-weekend-ba25
May 2023 marks the 25th anniversary of trains running through to Bolton Abbey, thus creating our railway as we know it today. Although passenger services started running through to Bolton Abbey in October 1997, the extension of the line was formally opened, together with Bolton Abbey station, on 1 May 1998, with the late Sir William McAlpine officiating.

To mark the occasion, and to celebrate our railway as it is now and how far we have come over those twenty-five years, and to look forward to the next 25 years, we will be holding a special Mixed Traction Gala Weekend on Sunday 7 & Bank Holiday Monday 8 May.

The timetable features:
– Two steam locomotives in use (chosen from Cumbria, No 401 and Beatrice);
– The public debut of our Class 20, No D8110.
– Class 37 No 37294 also in use.
– the Main train, made up of the ‘blood & custard’ Mark 1 coaches;
– a vintage train made up of the three 6-wheelers, Queen Victoria saloon, and the L&Y Directors’ saloon;
– a goods train made up of the ballast hoppers and grampus wagons + the LMS Oyster brake van.

It is an intensive three-train timetable, with trains departing every 30 minutes from both Embsay and Bolton Abbey. Trains will pass at Stoneacre loop and Embsay.

On the Sunday trains will continue into the evening to allow the Diesel fraternity a chance to accumulate ‘mileage’ behind the ‘37’ and ‘20’ (a ‘mini-Beerex’).

In addition, there will be a special evening dining train for YDR members on Saturday 6 May.

It is also Coronation weekend – and so the stations will be suitably decorated with bunting.

Ken H

On Moderation
Ooh. I would check with transdev that the 59 will stop at the rail station.

D Williams

"15/03/2023

Due to unforeseen circumstances, the steam engine lined up to operate the start of this season will now not be joining us as planned. As a result, all services will be either diesel locomotive hauled, or heritage diesel railcar.

In the meantime, we are working hard to source an alternative steam locomotive to join us for our 2023 season."

The above is on the Battlefield Line News page. The downside of not having any working steam locos in their fleet although they seem to do well enough with diesel services.

alexl92

Established Member
Anyone know which loco the Battlefield Line had lined up? Not the Manor that was supposed to be at the WSR gala, was it?

Regarding Embsay, does anyone know when 401 and Illingworth return to their respective homes?

Iskra

Established Member

The 20 is coming back into service, and operating with two steam loco's and a 37 for their upcoming Mixed Traction weekend over the Coronation bank holiday weekend. It would seem an optimal time to visit for those that can, with 4 loco's available compared to the usual 1. And who doesn't like 37's and 20's :D Vintage carriages will also make up one coaching set, including the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway Director's Saloon :)

Edit: @JonathanH beat me to it!

alexl92

Established Member
Anyone know which loco the Battlefield Line had lined up? Not the Manor that was supposed to be at the WSR gala, was it?

Regarding Embsay, does anyone know when 401 and Illingworth return to their respective homes?
I am told 401 is staying at Embsay til late summer. Makes sense but I can’t help but be a little disappointed that they aren’t bringing in something else a bit more interesting for the summer season (although they do often hire in a 4th steam in summer loco so we’ll see)

railfan99

Established Member
Did the Battlefield Line find a steam loco for the summer? I can't see reference to one on their website.

This won't answer your question, but it's a quote from the latest issue of 'The Platform', the West Somerset Railway's occasional newsletter that appeared in my inbox overnight:

"Manor No. 7822 'Foxcote Manor' has been moved to Tyseley for work, and when this is complete in the near future will go to The Battlefield Line for running in, following which it will return to the WSR."

Status
Not open for further replies.