• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

BBC article regarding the use of Welsh language by TfW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sheff1

Established Member
I can't see how Cross Country, Avanti and Great Western aren't similarly obliged to comply with these requirements/laws, at least for services originating/terminating or traversing through Wales.

I suspect the answer is that they are, and it's been such a niche issue with a relatively toothless government agency to enforce that they've simply not bothered.

Read the Welsh Language Act and all will be revealed.

Chew Chew

Is it though? I don't hear the English that reside in Gibraltar complaining about Spanish signs when they cross the border into Spain.

What exactly is the difference?

Precisely.

Another country, another language. Why won't people respect that?

Searle

Established Member
Is it though? I don't hear the English that reside in Gibraltar complaining about Spanish signs when they cross the border into Spain.

Wales is part of the United Kingdom and Gibraltar isn't a part of Spain :lol:

Chris M

I also don't hear very many complaints from those people about multi-lingual signs including English in France, Spain, Germany, Italy, ...

Chew Chew

Wales is part of the United Kingdom and Gibraltar isn't a part of Spain :lol:

Gibraltar is separate to Spain, Wales is separate to England.

You're arguing against yourself here and proving their argument.

cactustwirly

Established Member
Surely the signs are the wrong way round, the English should be at the top in the darker bold font, as that's the language understood by the vast majority of passengers passing through busy stations like Cardiff. The Welsh should be in the smaller grey font at the bottom.

Looks like some foreign bilingual sign, that you'd find at a Trenitalia station, rather than a British sign where English is the main language.
Even in Sud-Tirol where the inhabitants mostly speak German, Italian is still the main language on all the signs, with the German in the smaller font.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
...the language understood by the vast majority of passengers ...
You would have thought it would work that way.

Anyway we are drifting off topic so I don't think there is anything to be gained by continuing this discussion; if anyone has something to add that hasn't been said before, that is on topic, please do contact us using the usual channels.

Status
Not open for further replies.