• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

BBC lose rights to show another sport live

Status
Not open for further replies.

phil8715

I won't have Sky as I refuse to line Murdochs pockets. However there is a lot of crap on the BBC. I believe they've blown the budget on a new Saturday night show called The Voice starring Tom Jones & Jessie J among others.

If this rubbish wasn't on then they might be able to put a decent bid together for the rights to show live Premier League and Championship football. This year the BDO World Darts Championship was mostly on ESPN. The BBC only showed 2/3 days live and just highlights of the rest of tournament.

I'm a big snooker fan and I fear the World championship will go exactly the same way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jon0844

Veteran Member
I really don't think they've paid that much to get the rights to The Voice. Certainly not enough to have otherwise got the Premier League and Championship Football!

And I think the show will be quite good (not that I'm necessarily going to watch it) and even if I won't watch it, plenty of people will and I don't happily pay the licence fee to get it all spent only on what I want. It seems like The Voice may be better for the artists, just as Fame Academy was without all the hype/fakery of the ITV shows. Sadly, the latter shows are more popular and Fame Academy flopped, but what does the X Factor do for the music industry?

I pay the fee because I want a channel(s) that is free to do what it wants, and not be influenced by advertisers that can potentially influence what things are shown, or even the content of such shows. Advertisers who can threaten to pull their ads if you dared to do a consumer show that exposed bad business practices, for example.

I do hate EastEnders though, and wish they'd axe it - but that's more because I don't like the way it glorifies all that's bad in society today.

SS4

Established Member
I pay because I want a channel(s) that is free to do what it wants, and not be influenced by advertisers that can potentially influence what things are shown, or even the content of such shows. Advertisers who can threaten to pull their ads if you dared to do a consumer show that exposed bad business practices, for example.

Seconded. I also think the BBC acts as a vital counterbalance by stopping commercial channels from having even more ads and dropping quality further.

phil8715

I really don't think they've paid that much to get the rights to The Voice. Certainly not enough to have otherwise got the Premier League and Championship Football!

And I think the show will be quite good (not that I'm necessarily going to watch it) and even if I won't watch it, plenty of people will and I don't happily pay the licence fee to get it all spent only on what I want. It seems like The Voice may be better for the artists, just as Fame Academy was without all the hype/fakery of the ITV shows. Sadly, the latter shows are more popular and Fame Academy flopped, but what does the X Factor do for the music industry?

I pay the fee because I want a channel(s) that is free to do what it wants, and not be influenced by advertisers that can potentially influence what things are shown, or even the content of such shows. Advertisers who can threaten to pull their ads if you dared to do a consumer show that exposed bad business practices, for example.

I do hate EastEnders though, and wish they'd axe it - but that's more because I don't like the way it glorifies all that's bad in society today.

True but I don't think Tom Jones will be doing it for free, I bet his fee alone cost more than the cost of making the programme itself.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I have no idea how much he's being paid, or any of the others. I am sure the BBC is duty bound to publish this information though.

If anyone thinks the money is being wasted by buying the rights to this show, it's hard to then argue that the BBC should be paying loads more for Premier League football. And I say that as someone who would watch the football!

I think we get the US version of The Voice shown in the UK, so there's always a good chance the BBC will be able to recover some of the money by letting foreign stations show The (UK) Voice, via BBC Worldwide. The BBC rakes in loads of money from shows like Top Gear, which all helps.

Oswyntail

Established Member
"Bid for more football" is about as sensible a demand as "Pendolinos on the Ilkley line" - complete waste of money. There are plenty of programme providers that are willing to pay ridiculous amounts to show the sport, and it would cripple the BBC to compete with them. The main attraction of football programming is providing advertising slots in live games, which is of no use to the BBC. The money saved from not competing would provide better content for more people. It really should be a no-brainer. And yet....

SS4

Established Member
"Bid for more football" is about as sensible a demand as "Pendolinos on the Ilkley line" - complete waste of money. There are plenty of programme providers that are willing to pay ridiculous amounts to show the sport, and it would cripple the BBC to compete with them. The main attraction of football programming is providing advertising slots in live games, which is of no use to the BBC. The money saved from not competing would provide better content for more people. It really should be a no-brainer. And yet....

Football is popular. Overpriced certainly but still popular and I'd hazard a guess at saying it's one of the highest watched shows when it's on. The only reason the BBC would be crippled is because of an awfully unfair playing field to being with which gives other providers an advantage.
Personally I'd rather see some of their top class documentaries (in HD) than sport but what else would the BBC spend their money on? The high decibel Eastenders? Spinoffs of Strictly? More "Comedy"? Horizon is no longer about factual science and instead social mumbo-jumbo which would make Newton turn in his grave.

As you said before losing sport would raise demand for the licence fee to be reduced. That being said the problem is easy to identify yet much more difficult to solve as we've seen

Last edited:

LE Greys

Established Member
Football is popular. Overpriced certainly but still popular and I'd hazard a guess at saying it's one of the highest watched shows when it's own. The only reason the BBC would be crippled is because of an awfully unfair playing field to being with which gives other providers an advantage.
Personally I'd rather see some of their top class documentaries (in HD) than sport but what else would the BBC spend their money on? The high decibel Eastenders? Spinoffs of Strictly? More "Comedy"? Horizon is no longer about factual science and instead social mumbo-jumbo which would make Newton turn in his grave.

As you said before losing sport would raise demand for the licence fee to be reduced. That being said the problem is easy to identify yet much more difficult to solve as we've seen

Agreed here. There are still a few decent documentaries made, recent ones about railways in fiction and the interpretation of fossils throughout history spring to mind, plus anything involving David Attenborough. Still, they are getting rarer and the first two were shown only on BBC4. A lot of the rest, the Brian Cox series for a start, seem to have wandered from the point somewhat and become more about the presenter than the subject. Maybe we've just outgrown television.

My ideal sport would be international cricket with the option of Test Match Special commentary on Red Button (to save me turning on my radio), but we can't have everything.

phil8715

There's not been many programmes about trains or railways. Portilo's Great British Rail Journeys is a great programme as is the Tube, I remember Rail Watch from the early 90's, that's really about it.

There seems to be a media witch hunt that anybody who has an interest in railways is an anorak wearing, greasy haired sado who is socially inept.

andrew bell

Evidently the BBC needs some sport if it's to call itself the nation's broadcaster although what could they replace the sport with if it goes?
On the radio the BBC is head and shoulders above everyone else when it comes to covering sport and I for one (although I'm bound to be a minority) wouldn't mind the BBC losing TV rights if it gained secure radio rights. I noticed a couple of seasons ago that Five Live no longer broadcast the Saturday Evening game from the premiership, more often than not talksport have it.

I think the reason why Five Live doesn't have the Saturday evening & Sunday lunchtime premier league kick offs is due to broadcasting rights, they was allowed to go for all, but only 3 out of 5 was available (Sat lunchtime, Sun 4pm and Mon nights was what they decided to bid most for, and got)

Bungle73

On Moderation
There's not been many programmes about trains or railways. Portilo's Great British Rail Journeys is a great programme as is the Tube, I remember Rail Watch from the early 90's, that's really about it.

There seems to be a media witch hunt that anybody who has an interest in railways is an anorak wearing, greasy haired sado who is socially inept.

What about "Trains with Pete Waterman"? It's currently doing the rounds on Discovery History.

Bungle73

On Moderation
What that ever on terrestrial tv? And if so when was it on?

I don't think so. It's a Discovery made programme.

Although having said that I've just read that it was a Channel 4 co-production so it might have been. I don't recall seeing it on terrestrial TV though.

According to IMDb it was made in 2004.

phil8715

I don't think so. It's a Discovery made programme.

Although having said that I've just read that it was a Channel 4 co-production so it might have been. I don't recall seeing it on terrestrial TV though.

According to IMDb it was made in 2004.

My posting about programmes about trains was aimed at free to air, not pay tv such as Sky and Virgin Media.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
There was a programme on the railways of Bombay/Mumbai the other day, that was quite interesting. The way they board trains seems quite scary to me, H&S would have a heart attack!

Status
Not open for further replies.