• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

BBC News - Train drivers overwhelmingly middle-aged white men

Status
Not open for further replies.

ComUtoR

Established Member
As a newbie I would expect to start at the bottom (even with prior experience in my home country) and work my way up. May be my values are outdated in these times? But I make no apology for that.

Yeah, so true. Everyone should start at the bottom.

Tick box hiring is incredibly patronising. My wife, who is blind, has said on multiple occasions 'I want to get a job because it was agreed I was the best candidate, not to make up a quota'.

How do you know it was because of a quota ? Are there quota systems in place anywhere ? What if that quota is reached ? Can we then continue employing straight and white ? Is it because a brown skinned person got the job that it was purely because they wanted to tick a box ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TUC

Established Member
The BBC's fundamental problem on this issue is that they are so London-centric that, if a group of people in either an industry or a TV show don't look like the make-up of London they think there must be discrimination happening. Actually, it's London which is unrepresentative of the UK.

Teaching, especially secondary level, used to be a very male profession, relatively sexist too. The male teacher union (which later became NASUWT) kicked up a big fuss when female teachers became more and more numerous, lobbying for quite a while that boys shouldn't be taught by female teachers. But despite all that, ultimately women won out and now the overwhelmingly majority of teachers. Many other "old boys club " professions are also mostly female now. Once the legal barriers are removed, things tend to level out.

Are train drivers uniquely sexist , or are just some things get more of an intrest to men than they are to women? The tech sector has desperately been trying to attract women for ages for little avail.

HullRailMan

Are people hired to tick boxes or are they hired because the talent pool just got increased and was more competitive that being of a certain ethnicity was no longer advantageous ?

Doubtful. Pretty sure they would be happy to get the job and break that glass ceiling
Yes, they are. Not railway related, but I was once involved in a recruitment selection panel where candidates were scored out of 100 and ranked. The decision was then made from on high that non-white candidates would each receive an extra 10 points in an attempt to “increase diversity”. I walked out at that point, as did a number of other colleagues. People that scored higher and demonstrated a greater ability to do the job were removed from the process because of the colour of their skin.

Of course it’s patronising - if you gave me a job purely because I’m gay, I would be incredibly offended. I would much rather be judged on merit alongside everyone else.

ComUtoR

Established Member
Actually, it's London which is unrepresentative of the UK.

What about Bradford ?

Yes, they are. Not railway related, but I was once involved in a recruitment selection panel where candidates were scored out of 100 and ranked. The decision was then made from on high that non-white candidates would each receive an extra 10 points in an attempt to “increase diversity”

Which is totally illegal. You need to whistle blow that.

Of course it’s patronising - if you gave me a job purely because I’m gay, I would be incredibly offended. I would much rather be judged on merit alongside everyone else.

I'd be happy I'd got the job and sod anyone else. If you feel that you got a job purely because you were gay; feel free to turn it down.

HullRailMan

The BBC's fundamental problem on this issue is that they are so London-centric that, if a group of people in either an industry or a TV show don't look like the make-up of London they think there must be discrimination happening. Actually, it's London which is unrepresentative of the UK.
Agreed. And, ironically, the BBC is unable to handle diversity of opinion. Most of the broadcast media is staffed by white middle class liberals who operate in an echo chamber.

Big Jumby 74

Thanks heavens. That is so true (having worked there in London , not for Beeb, for over 4 decades)...! :rolleyes:

Edited for clarity

Established Member
Mick Whelan has said he wants ASLEF to have less white men, I don’t think it’s a bad thing.

That’s a very loaded way of putting it, though, which could be taken to mean there’s something wrong with white men. Better surely just to state that there’s a desire to increase diversity.

HullRailMan

What about Bradford ?

Which is totally illegal. You need to whistle blow that.

I'd be happy I'd got the job and sod anyone else. If you feel that you got a job purely because you were gay; feel free to turn it down.
So called ‘positive action’ is actively encouraged in many industries - see all-women shortlists, for example.

So, one minute you’re saying minorities should celebrate breaking through a glass ceiling if they are recruited based on a characteristic, and then saying you should walk away and give up the job if you feel that’s unfair. How about just recruiting based on talent and ability?

northwichcat

Veteran Member
There are quite a lot of industries were one gender, demographic dominates. Most marketing departments i have been involved/worked for with tend to be 80+% staffed by youngish females. It only seems to be an issue when its white males though.

There does seem to be more push on getting women into roles traditionally held by men, than the other way around. When did you last hear about a lack of male teachers in primary schools or a lack of men working with pre-school children?

I would actually say it's not just marketing departments are mainly female, there's actually discrimination against males. In the current day young female marketeers are much more likely to be asked to appear in an Instagram video or TikTok than their male colleagues. In some cases that means female workers are top of the list for business trips. I know of one case where a male marketeer was told by a manager on joining that he'd be doing a similar one to someone who will be joining in a couple of weeks (who turned out to be female and attractive). The male marketeer has been on 3 trips abroad with the business in 3 years - to Portugal, Spain and Greece. Doesn't sound bad until you hear his female colleague has been on 6 which included staying in a premium ski resort in France and a trip to Mauritius.

northwichcat

Veteran Member

True. If you go near Bank underground station at peak times it's not representative of London's population - too many white men in suits. In some towns you could walk the whole town for hours and count less than 5 people from ethnic minorities.

ComUtoR

Established Member
So called ‘positive discrimination’ is actively encouraged in many industries -

Legal

see all-women shortlists, for example.

Not legal

So, one minute you’re saying minorities should celebrate breaking through a glass ceiling if they are recruited based on a characteristic,

Somebody has to take that first step. I would happily take a role that I had applied for. Irrespective of why I was recruited. Sometimes it is important to break that glass ceiling. Sadly. Getting there is only the tip of the iceberg.

and then saying you should walk away and give up the job if you feel that’s unfair.

If YOU felt you had the job because you had a protected characteristic. I would support YOUR decision to refuse. The likelihood of that happening is small. Principles are easily bought and fighting the good fight will often be the better decision. Being part of something is better than trying to smash the door down. Feel free to let them win. I'm just not convinced that people will actively give up a job offer because they felt they got the job from a tick box.

How about just recruiting based on talent and ability?

On which I agree. As has been said. Getting then in the door in the first place is important. Just because a BAME person got the job instead of you doesn't mean it was a tick box.

Not legal

Happy to rewind on that point.

MotCO

Established Member
whereas a more generic and less diverse workplace leads to issues of group-think and more resistant to change.
Does it? Where positive discrimination is allowed, won't the workforce start to reflect the characteristics of that discrimination, and end up with like-minded people, ie. group-thnk, when what you are looking for is diverse opinion. Always assuming that staff are allowed to express diverse opinions without fear of being cancelled, overlooked for promotion etc. Where I used to work, my views were probably not reflective of most staff's, but to speak out to the contrary would have been career limiting.

One thing I have also found strange is that national teams - e.g. football, cricket, rugby etc - are not selected on the basis of being representative of different protected characteristics, but the best people for the job, i.e. who is most likely to win the game. So why should businesses not do likewise? Companies are in the business of winning, but they also have social responsibilities, but if they are not successful and fall by the wayside, then social responsibilities will count for nothing.

ComUtoR

Established Member
I assume @HullRailMan is thinking of politicians, in which case there is a piece of legislation to explicitly allow it. The Sex Discrimination (Election Candidates) Act 2002.

I was just reading that.

Positive action is what generally happens. This is important as it encourages applications and improves diversity. When it comes to actual employment it, should and does, come down to the better candidate. I believe there is president where it is legal to offer employment to the candidate that suits your specific requirement IF each candidate is already equal. It's important to state that this isn't the norm. Positive action is more commonplace and is why people see quotas and virtue signalling. It is still important and the 'Straight White Male' still has the advantage. Competition for roles has increased and whilst some feel marginalised, others feel empowered.

Those pride flags on the side of trains has made people less fearful and feel inclusive. This should be supported and, if anything, celebrated. Imagine feeling marginalised for your entire life and then someone calls out the BBC for reporting a simple statistic and being too 'woke'

Established Member
I do think though, who cares? As long as people are not discriminatory when hiring, and make sure that people are getting hired based on their suitability for the job alone, with no prejudices, then it shouldn't matter. It only matters if hiring middle-aged white men has been deliberately tactical.

What I don't agree with is the mass hiring of people from minority groups JUST to make a company look diverse, which we're seeing a lot of in broadcasting lately actually. Now I can't speak for women or people of ethnic diversity, but if I were hired specifically because I have ADHD and my other half is a dude (and these are both diversity factors that BBC and other organisations ask you on applications), rather than because I'm a good journalist, I'd be fuming. It's borderline insulting to be cherry-picked for things like that. I'd rather be hired for my suitability for the role.

And similarly, I would want Southern to hire me if they thought I'd be a loyal and committed member of the team, and a good driver, not because I'm 21, bisexual and hyperactive. Come to think of it, I did safety announcements for Northern until they were replaced recently. I thought it was my ability to do a convincing Yorkshire accent, but perhaps that was why. :lol:
Exactly this!

All the diversity questions should be removed from any job application, and people employed, male or female, purely on the relevant talent, skills etc that they will bring to the job.

Adrian1980uk

I hate the term positive discrimination because that depends on the candidate, for me positive discrimination would be the candidate has to white male because I happen to fit that demographic.
I still don't really understand how it seems so difficult to give jobs to the best candidate, I can safely say I've never worried what sex or race my train driver was.

JamesT

Established Member
All the diversity questions should be removed from any job application, and people employed, male or female, purely on the relevant talent, skills etc that they will bring to the job.
The diversity information should go nowhere near anyone making a decision whether to hire or not. But it’s important to record to determine if there is an issue with bias in the hiring. Unless there’s some other factor involved, you might expect over time that the proportion of various characteristics would reflect the proportions in the applicants. If it’s wildly different then that suggests an issue.

Established Member
The diversity information should go nowhere near anyone making a decision whether to hire or not. But it’s important to record to determine if there is an issue with bias in the hiring. Unless there’s some other factor involved, you might expect over time that the proportion of various characteristics would reflect the proportions in the applicants. If it’s wildly different then that suggests an issue.

Indeed, that’s always been my understanding of diversity monitoring questions. They shouldn’t have any bearing on the recruitment process, and indeed many companies use “blind” CVs to try and ensure that gender/ethnicity as far as possible isn’t knowable to the recruiters.

ComUtoR

Established Member

You make an excellent point and I fully support your post.

(bold part) However, you will always have the issue where the candidate is in front of you and you see the 'diversity'. Unless interviews are done blind over Teams, with text to speech audio, there will always be some form of bias. It has taken years to get over visible tattoo's. Now we need to overcome *rainbows and thumb rings...

*yes, I know

Coolzac

What about company issuing prayer mats or not giving time off religious matters. Should the 'Call to Prayer' be sounded over the PA ?

Unfortunately I am too much of an Autocrat

What about my Christian beliefs ? They aren't represented and there are certain ways of life that I don't agree with. I feel under-represented my faith is being ignored.

I would say that as long as you don't bully or treat an LGBT person differently, then you have nothing to worry about? I was talking about bullying and discrimination so I'm not sure why you have replied to my post referring to your Christian beliefs. And if course, no one should bully or discriminate against you for having Christian beliefs.

ComUtoR

Established Member
I would say that as long as you don't bully or treat an LGBT person differently, then you have nothing to worry about?

Agreed.

I was talking about bullying and discrimination so I'm not sure why you have replied to my post referring to your Christian beliefs. And if course, no one should bully or discriminate against you for having Christian beliefs.

This is part of the problem. If I wore my crucifix openly there are some who would find that offensive. If my company decides to add the pride flag to a unit, am I allowed to refuse to drive it ?

Coolzac

Agreed.

This is part of the problem. If I wore my crucifix openly there are some who would find that offensive. If my company decides to add the pride flag to a unit, am I allowed to refuse to drive it ?
I mean, I would hope that if someone complained about the crucifix, they would be told that it's none of their business or concern.

The pride flag one is a trickier one but I would say that if you work for a company who supports LGBT pride, you have to accept that you would sometimes have to be around pride imagery. However they should never force you to have to actively support it yourself.

Big Jumby 74

When it comes to symbolism or assumptions (made) by some, I can only speak personally as a straight while male, ex railway. As a non practising Protestant/Christian, I still hold the faith in to which I was born, sacred, as it represents my country and my beliefs. I treat others as I would wish to be treated myself, namely with respect and privacy. The railway being what it is, I have worked with many people from all walks, and for 99% of those I have no problem and respect them, even if I do not personally subscribe to their life style choices etc. People are equal when it comes to showing each other the basic respects that allow us all to muddle on as best we can.

What I find disrespectful and totally out of order are the attitudes and antics of a (hopefully) small minority of people within certain 'groups'. One such person (a railway Manager) from the gay community, for their own reasons (I presume?) made assumptions about me (a relatively recent appointed junior Manager at the time) and made inappropriate (verbal only, thankfully for him!) approaches at a Management Conference.

How or why (or from whom, more to the point) he had taken bad info/been told (untruthfully) about me I have no idea, something that if I ever find out, will be dealt with. But on the occasion of his inappropriate approach resulted in him being told very forcibly of his error of judgement. It came very close to him needing hospital treatment, but with a pension looming I backed off, but that is a demonstration of what can happen if people make ill founded assumptions about others, for whatever reason.

As I say, I get on with, and attend events, involving people from all walks, albeit mostly ex railway, but I will NEVER take kindly to anyone making uninvited assumptions about me, and worse still, trying to act upon same. Treat me with old school respect, and I will treat you the same, no judgements, end of.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
In other shock news it has recently been revealed that the majority of train drivers have a head, two arms and two legs

Purple Train

Established Member
I would say that as long as you don't bully or treat an LGBT person differently, then you have nothing to worry about? I was talking about bullying and discrimination so I'm not sure why you have replied to my post referring to your Christian beliefs. And if course, no one should bully or discriminate against you for having Christian beliefs.
Indeed. As someone who does hold Christian beliefs (and generally identifies as being of the conservative evangelical tradition within the Church of England), I've seen - and heard referenced - more than my fair share of stories about Christians being refused for various jobs for holding conservative views on gender, marriage, etc. Rather than fearing for my own treatment in the workplace, I've taken the assumption that there were underlying factors.

The difficulty is when people assume that my beliefs mean that I entertain ill-will towards them - something that, under the commandment to love one's neighbour, would be deeply un-Christian of me! Rather, I respect the right of people to hold different views to mine regardless of how much I disagree with them - if we were all the same, the world would be very boring. I expect to be treated no differently to anyone else regarding matters unrelated to my beliefs, either for better or for worse.
People are equal when it comes to showing each other the basic respects that allow us all to muddle on as best we can.
Well put, I agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.