• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Becoming a train driver in the UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe88

Hello everyone!
I was wondering how can i be a train driver in the UK if i'm holding an EU driving license and certificate? Anyone has any experience or thoughts regarding this?
Thank you

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Journeyman

Established Member
Hello everyone!
I was wondering how can i be a train driver in the UK if i'm holding an EU driving license and certificate? Anyone has any experience or thoughts regarding this?
Thank you

Unfortunately, I suspect that with the way things are currently going, that will be a fairly useless piece of paper in the UK come January 1st, and you'll have to start from scratch.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
The European license is a bit of a red herring. You would need to start entirely again, as all rules and traction will be completely different.

Joe88

Certainly hold you in good stead I suspect. Definite headstart. 15 months training for stuff you mostly know sounds pretty fun if you can stomach the wage hit.
Thank you. Which train company would you recommend to apply? During the training how big the wage hit approximately?

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Thank you. Which train company would you recommend to apply? During the training how big the wage hit approximately?
Wage hit depends entirely on what you already earn.

Average training salary is £28k - approximately €30k and lasts an average of a year

LCC106

Established Member
15 month training? Pre COVID you were looking at typically 9-12 months. Of course, it depends on availability of mentors, instructors and managers.

theironroad

Established Member
Hello everyone!
Thank you

Your first consideration, as your profile suggests you are in Hungary, is whether you will have a permanent right to live and work in the UK after the end of this year.

Without that right, no train company will hire you as a trainee for mainline driver due to the cost of training.

rakoczigabi

Hi ,

If you live in Hungary you’ll need to get a “pre settled status” before the end of the year to be able to work here, after that it’s a points based system.
You can read more about that here :

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...igration-system-an-introduction-for-employers

I don’t think any uk TOC takes on drivers with EU licences , I know mine doesn’t , I’ve asked this questions a few months ago for a friend.
So you’d need to go through the whole application , assessment , interview process before you get into the training school.

But it’s not impossible to do as a foreigner.
I’m Hungarian and a trainee driver now over 12 months and still a fair way to go due to covid.
But I do know another Hungarian driver who’s qualified and he’s at my depot.

So as long as you go through the process and have the right to work here anything is possible. Good luck.

KlaudiaV43

Hi ,

If you live in Hungary you’ll need to get a “pre settled status” before the end of the year to be able to work here, after that it’s a points based system.
You can read more about that here :

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...igration-system-an-introduction-for-employers

I don’t think any uk TOC takes on drivers with EU licences , I know mine doesn’t , I’ve asked this questions a few months ago for a friend.
So you’d need to go through the whole application , assessment , interview process before you get into the training school.

But it’s not impossible to do as a foreigner.
I’m Hungarian and a trainee driver now over 12 months and still a fair way to go due to covid.
But I do know another Hungarian driver who’s qualified and he’s at my depot.

So as long as you go through the process and have the right to work here anything is possible. Good luck.
Absolutely, this. Get your settled status sorted first and go from there.

(Hungarian trainee driver here too. :D)

Status
Not open for further replies.