• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a train driver

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rakoczigabi

Hi all ,

I'm currently reading through the whole thread and it has loads of information.

Im kinda new to the railway , only just passed my 1st year. I'm working as a rail operator for SWT and applied to become a mainland driver back in February.

Today I've got a letter inviting me for an assasment day for the 25th of this month. According to that it will take around 5 hours.
I've read it in the forum here that others had day 1 and day 2. My letter doesn't mention anything about that.
The below tests will be done :
1 , Trainability for Rules and procedures
2 , Tea OCC paper test
3 , ATAVT
4 , The 2hand coordination test
5 , Group Bourdon concentration test
6 , Test of Vigilance ( WAFV )
7 , Written communication test
8 , Colour vision.

I'm not really sure what to expect. I mean I didn't even expect and answer this quick or to get an assessment. Because been told it takes years to get to this stage.

My invitation letter says I'll get the practice material about 7 days before the test. Is it possible to practice in that short notice ?

I will read through this forum and hopefully will see some practice materials.
I had to do some tests to become an RO2 but that wasn't even close to this, this one sounds and looks much tougher.

Also which of these tests are the hardest ?

Thank you :)

Gabriella

jballz72

Hi Gabriella,

There is already a SWT thread running of which I am currently on, maybe post your questions on there as you'll get clarification from people that work for them, or those that have just completed the assessment process.

Shaggy

Passed my Stage 1 Assessment on Monday and I just wanted to say thank you to all who have contributed to this thread. The information people have shared kindly has been invaluable.

I'm now waiting to have my MMI but irrespective of that outcome, thank you all.

davidteeth

hello all. interested in becoming a train driver , based in south east , where do i find training opportunities?
on south eastern careers portal i can only see qualified driver jobs
regards david

MattB67

Hi everyone, I know there is a separate thread for T&W Metro but in terms of assessments is anyone aware of what is required? I have an interview which states a 45 minute competency based interview and aptitude tests.

Thanks for any help!

Darrenogunbiyi

Hi I'm new to this forum I looking to become a train driver as I have applied and passed the stages but want to know if anyone has any tools or links to where I can download the group bourdon test so that I can practice, any help would be really appreciated.

thank you

George999

Hi I'm new to this forum I looking to become a train driver as I have applied and passed the stages but want to know if anyone has any tools or links to where I can download the group bourdon test so that I can practice, any help would be really appreciated.

thank you

Click on the sticky thread just under the thread you posted on and it's got practice software to download on there.

Darrenogunbiyi

thank you

Hi George999 I have clicked on that sticky thread but as I have a Apple MacBook laptop and computer it won't allow me to open up the download link as it says it requires window.

Brinners81

Hi all

Is it possible for someone to give me a little bit more info on the TEA-Occ test. I know its searching for symbols in a phone book. just want to know a bit more about counting the low tones part of the test.
are the tones in groups and you give an answer or is it like 30sec of scattered tones? Im sitting the tests a week tomorrow. thanks

baz962

Established Member
Hi all

Is it possible for someone to give me a little bit more info on the TEA-Occ test. I know its searching for symbols in a phone book. just want to know a bit more about counting the low tones part of the test.
are the tones in groups and you give an answer or is it like 30sec of scattered tones? Im sitting the tests a week tomorrow. thanks

Ok if I remember correctly the tape says start and you count in your head while circling the symbol's and after a while the tape say's stop and you write the tones down you counted and then the tape say's start and you go again until the tester's say stop. I don't know the timing's as they didn't tell us for each segment but you get a certain amount of time for the whole exercise which was about a minute.

baz962

Established Member
Hoping to be taking the tests soon, advice please?
Practise any material they send you, google group bourdon and print off many copie's but if you got the aptitude you will be fine as a lot of people say that they are designed that too much practise will not help much it is more natural ability.

Bromley boy

Established Member
Sometimes when a driver signs one class of unit/loco they automatically sign another class at the same time. An example being SWTs 444s and 450s. Don't know if it also holds true for 465s and 466s

Yes indeed, exactly the same for 465/466s.

Arty_animal

Hi all, new to the forum, I’m very keen on becoming a driver. I am now working weekends for network rail to gain some work experience and knowledge so have passed my PTS, DCCR, induction, D&A screen and medical. I have booked my assessment privately with DB Schenker and am doing that next month. I’m doing really really well with all the practice tests from How to Become except for Awareness and Recognition (AART). I should have a good visual memory but am not making the pass mark. Is there a good method to practice this part without reusing the same flash cards? Is it overly hard in the How to Become version? Any advice would be greatly appreciated as everything else seems to be a perfect fit for my skill set. Thanks in advance.

Max287

What a great forum. I've literally only just found this! Currently going through the recruitment process for Trainee Depot Driver roles with East Midlands Trains. Waiting to hear how I've got on with the tests. The next step will be some kind of assessment day...

Dynamonic

What a great forum. I've literally only just found this! Currently going through the recruitment process for Trainee Depot Driver roles with East Midlands Trains. Waiting to hear how I've got on with the tests. The next step will be some kind of assessment day...

Welcome to the forum PrincessL92!

Like you, I'm waiting for my Stage 1 results for EMT, having sat my tests last Friday afternoon.

This is a truly great forum, and no doubt you will find it very useful going forward.

Good luck with your application process! :D

James Percival

Hi all,

I'm just starting my journey to become a Southeasten Driver and was hoping you could give me some advice. I'm still waiting for my assessment dates to come though but want to get a head start. Could anyone recommend any sites I could go on to practise these tests? Also any advice all round would be very welcome, things that worked for you and things that didn't.

Many thanks

James

Jose Manuel

Hi guys,

Here is a new one trying to get on the tracks!

I am a Spanish national living in the UK for almost 3 years now, dad worked (retired now) in RENFE at Spain, and mum (also retired) worked on the Underground in Valencia, Spain.

Could anyone just point out where should i start reading and looking into? I do not want any handovers, but there is a lot of information out there and sometimes is contradicting.

Any help will be welcome,

many thanks!

Dynamonic

Hi guys,

Here is a new one trying to get on the tracks!

I am a Spanish national living in the UK for almost 3 years now, dad worked (retired now) in RENFE at Spain, and mum (also retired) worked on the Underground in Valencia, Spain.

Could anyone just point out where should i start reading and looking into? I do not want any handovers, but there is a lot of information out there and sometimes is contradicting.

Any help will be welcome,

many thanks!

Hi Jose Manuel, and welcome to the forum! :)

You're in the right place for all the information you need, and I hugely recommend reading through the entirety of this thread to give you a massive insight into the recruitment process for this role.

The best thing to do to get started, is find out which Passenger Train Operating Companies (TOCs) and Freight Operating Companies (FOCs) have driver depots within a 45 minute drive of where you live. You might find the 'Driver Depot' thread below this very useful for finding that out! (If any are outside a 45-minute radius. You might be asked to relocate)

Then, simply check their recruitment websites daily for 'Trainee Driver' vacancies, then apply. (I mean daily too. Some vacancies are only up for a few days before being removed due to the high number of applicants)

The only way to become a train driver is to apply for the Trainee roles that appear. There are no shortcuts in. Just make sure you have some great examples ready of working with safety-critical tasks for your application forms and interviews.

Another thing to be aware of (just in-case you're lucky to be young) is that you must be 21 years of age before applying for a Trainee Train Driver role.

Every company will put their own 'slant' on the driver recruitment process, be it extra interviews or assessments, which you'll find out as you apply for them (It doesn't mean there's contradictory information though. It's just that people can go through slightly different processes)

Good luck to you, and I hope you find some great opportunities soon!

Last edited:

Mario

Hi all. I have applied for a shunter driver position with Southeastern and have been asked to attend an assessment day in 2 weeks time. They have sent me the revision booklet via email which I've been using, just wondered if anybody has any more info on what to expect really.

Many thanks.
Mario

ESONEULB

Hello from s Newbie to the forum.

I have read most of this thread so hopefully the question I have was not missed by myself.

On most applications there is a question asking : Do I prefer my day to be varied Yes Or No

I've debated this answer and can to be honest choose either.

Some advice would be very much appreciated

Cheers in advance

Dynamonic

Hello from s Newbie to the forum.

I have read most of this thread so hopefully the question I have was not missed by myself.

On most applications there is a question asking : Do I prefer my day to be varied Yes Or No

I've debated this answer and can to be honest choose either.

Some advice would be very much appreciated

Cheers in advance

I’ve not come across that question before, and I doubt it would have a massive impact on your overall application. Obviously, answer it honestly, as you may be asked to explain your answer down the line.

I suppose the answer recruiters would be looking for would depend largely on the role you were applying for.
In a lot of frontline, operational roles, there are a lot of factors that can make your day ‘varied’.

ESONEULB

I’ve not come across that question before, and I doubt it would have a massive impact on your overall application. Obviously, answer it honestly, as you may be asked to explain your answer down the line.

I suppose the answer recruiters would be looking for would depend largely on the role you were applying for.
In a lot of frontline, operational roles, there are a lot of factors that can make your day ‘varied’.
Thanks..

I did answer it honestly and have sent an application in...

Mario

Are you buy any chance filling out a drivers application form for Arriva Rail London? Because they
Thanks..

I did answer it honestly and have sent an application in...

Is this for Arriva Rail London by any chance? They ask that question also..

Jose Manuel

Hi Jose Manuel, and welcome to the forum! :)

You're in the right place for all the information you need, and I hugely recommend reading through the entirety of this thread to give you a massive insight into the recruitment process for this role.

The best thing to do to get started, is find out which Passenger Train Operating Companies (TOCs) and Freight Operating Companies (FOCs) have driver depots within a 45 minute drive of where you live. You might find the 'Driver Depot' thread below this very useful for finding that out! (If any are outside a 45-minute radius. You might be asked to relocate)

Then, simply check their recruitment websites daily for 'Trainee Driver' vacancies, then apply. (I mean daily too. Some vacancies are only up for a few days before being removed due to the high number of applicants)

The only way to become a train driver is to apply for the Trainee roles that appear. There are no shortcuts in. Just make sure you have some great examples ready of working with safety-critical tasks for your application forms and interviews.

Another thing to be aware of (just in-case you're lucky to be young) is that you must be 21 years of age before applying for a Trainee Train Driver role.

Every company will put their own 'slant' on the driver recruitment process, be it extra interviews or assessments, which you'll find out as you apply for them (It doesn't mean there's contradictory information though. It's just that people can go through slightly different processes)

Good luck to you, and I hope you find some great opportunities soon!

Many thanks for your response, Dynamomic!

I really appreciate it.

I have a couple of questions as I am fairly new to the railway industry in the UK.

Do you or anyone here know if the TOC have "discriminate" with non-native speaker? Is it a requirement to be a British national? As I am a Spanish national with just 3 years of residency in the UK.

Also, I have read many of they guys here talk about tests, practicing, etc... as I am a newbie, any list of the different test we would have to go through in an hypothetical process? I don't mind looking for samples on the internet once I know what I am looking for.. :oops:

many thanks!