• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a train driver

Dynamonic

Generally, TOCs will only consider applicants who permanently reside in the UK, and those who don't are often screened out in a pre-application questionnaire. This is because TOCs will make a large time and financial investment to train you up as a new driver, and they will want quite a few years of service out of you in return. As there is always a large pool of applicants to choose from, TOCs will always opt for the candidates who aren't at risk of having their rights to live and work in the UK taken away from them within a few years.

In terms of speaking natively, you are required to have great English communication skills in both speaking and in writing.
Your written communication skills are tested for in the application stage of the process, and any grammatical or spelling errors will often end up with your application being turned down.
Written communication is also sometimes tested for in the Written Communication Test (WCT), which forms part of the assessment process for some TOCs.

Your spoken language skills are tested for in your interviews, of which you can expect at least two of them; The Multi-Modal Interview (MMI) and Driver Manager Interview (DMI). You will often be invited to a a group assessment day too, which will test how you communicate with other people.

It's not 'discriminatory', Train Driving is a safety-critical role, with the lives of potentially many people depending on you having superb communication skills. It's a core competency! :)

If you're a permanent UK resident, and have a great grasp of English, then go for it! You have just as much chance as everybody else! :D

In terms of tests, every TOC will use at least the following:

Stage 1 OPC Assessment

Stage 1 consists of the following paper-based tests:
  • Group Bourdon (Involves highlighting patterns of a set number of dots as quickly and accurately as possible)
  • Trainability for Rules & Procedures Parts 1 & 2 (TRP) (Part 1 involves memorising a fictional procedure and answering multiple-choice questions on it. Part 2 involves prioritising dials for inspection)
  • Test of Everyday Attention for Occupational Assessment Parts 1,2 & 3 (TEA-Occ) (Part 1 involves finding listings that match a criteria. Part 2 involves counting certain audible tones. Part 3 is a combination of Parts 1 & 2)

Stage 2 OPC Assessment

If successful at Stage 1, you'll eventually do Stage 2, which consists of the following computer-based tests:
  • WAFV Vigilance Test (A test of concentration which involves responding rapidly to a change of appearance of an on-screen object)
  • ATAVT Perception Test (A memory and reaction test to see how much information you retain from a short glance at photos)
  • 2Hand Co-ordination Test (A test of your ability to use two hands together to steer an object through a track with mininal error)

You will be informed of the results of your computer tests as soon as you have completed them. If successful, you will then immediately sit the following:
  • Situational Judgement Exercise (SJE) (A test which asks you to grade how effective certain responses would be to a situation. Your answers to this test will influence questions you'll be asked in the Multi-Modal Interview)
  • Multi-Modal Interview (MMI) (A competency based interview in which you'll be asked six set questions about experiences you have had in dealing with different situations, based on the competency profile of a Train Driver. You will be further questioned about your experiences, with your answers to the previous SJE influencing these)
  • (Optional Test) Written Communication Test (WCT) (A test which involves you writing a written report to a person, based on a cartoon strip you are given. This test is only run by certain TOCs, but would form part of this assessment if it is required)

Driver Manager Interview

This interview will be different from TOC to TOC, but expect more competency based questions and your knowledge of your chosen TOC to be tested.

Some TOCs will also ask you to complete additional stages as part of the recruitment process, such as online tests, telephone interviews and group assessment days. You will normally get details of these when you apply.

Hope this helps, Jose Manuel, and others that read this too!

Good luck! :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bromley boy

Established Member
Do you or anyone here know if the TOC have "discriminate" with non-native speaker? Is it a requirement to be a British national? As I am a Spanish national with just 3 years of residency in the UK.

There are many drivers in the U.K. who aren't native English speakers. This should certainly not put you off applying.

So long as you have he right to live and work in the U.K., not being a British National wouldn’t be an issue either.

A problem would only arise if your English wasn’t fluent or your accent was so strong that you couldn’t make yourself understood as effective communication is a core competency for the role.

Jose Manuel

WOw! incredible response! many thanks to both of you. it is really helpful and encouraging to see how people are willing to help just in a "random" forum a total stranger.

I really appreciate the help.

Jose Manuel

There are many drivers in the U.K. who aren't native English speakers. This should certainly not put you off applying.

So long as you have he right to live and work in the U.K., not being a British National wouldn’t be an issue either.

A problem would only arise if your English wasn’t fluent or your accent was so strong that you couldn’t make yourself understood as effective communication is a core competency for the role.

apologies for the double post, as per your nickname, I can assume you´re in Bromley ( East London myseld) would you mind if i DM you ( i cannot at the moment, don´t know why) with a few questions? I am a bit lost on a few aspects and my close circle is not really familiar with the UK railway.

Bromley boy

Established Member
apologies for the double post, as per your nickname, I can assume you´re in Bromley ( East London myseld) would you mind if i DM you ( i cannot at the moment, don´t know why) with a few questions? I am a bit lost on a few aspects and my close circle is not really familiar with the UK railway.

Yes absolutely.

I think you need 5 posts before being able to send a pm.

DA2017

Hi all. I'm not sure I'm in the right forum here . I'm trying to find out if there are any trainee driver vacancies in the London area. Does anyone have any info? Or know where to look.
Many thanks

driver9000

Established Member
Hi all. I'm not sure I'm in the right forum here . I'm trying to find out if there are any trainee driver vacancies in the London area. Does anyone have any info? Or know where to look.
Many thanks

Your local TOC careers pages on their websites should be your first port of call.

Jose Manuel

Stupid question, but I think it could be worth it for people already in different roles but willing to become a driver. Throughout the selection process, are interviews, assessments, etc... arranged during the week working hours?

Thanks in advance.

greatkingrat

Established Member
Yes, all assessments for train driving (or pretty much any other job) would be held Monday - Friday 9-5.

Dynamonic

You may be allocated a slot too, as opposed to being offered a selection of dates to choose from, which means you're likely to be required to get time off work at short notice.

Divermckay

I'm looking for advice regarding the 2 hand coordination test.
I sat the old test and failed the interview by not covering 1 of the 6 points well enough. After coaching by my management and hr team I got sent for the interview again.
The interviewer contradicted her colleague from the first interview by saying one of my previous answers wasn't adequate. So I failed a 2nd time. I realised then that the fate of an applicant is largely down to the interviewer as there are no right or wrong answers, just their interpretation. I think this is unfair but there is no appeal process so I moved on.
As we know, the test was changed and I was invited to sit them again.
My foc and I are keen for me to drive trains.

I passed all the tests and then made a complete mess of the 2 hand coordination. I figured if I went out of the track I should start at the beginning. I am now wondering if I should re-enter the track where I left or do I go really slowly and try and not leave the track.
I bought a drone and borrowed a ps4 to try and improve my coordination.
Ultimately though I still have to please an interviewer who doesn't know me.
I wish the fact that my employer is so keen that they have happily sent me again (4th and final time) meant something to this process.
So should I go slow and accurate, slightly faster and start at the beginning when I leave or try and re-enter where I left?
Anybody I've asked who passed (all gamers) said they thought it was easy and left the track lots of times.
Annoying me about this is the fact I can drive an excavator which is 2 hand and feet and fly my drone but it takes time to learn these skills, time they dont give applicants here.

baz962

Established Member
I sat the old test and failed the interview by not covering 1 of the 6 points well enough. After coaching by my management and hr team I got sent for the interview again.
The interviewer contradicted her colleague from the first interview by saying one of my previous answers wasn't adequate. So I failed a 2nd time. I realised then that the fate of an applicant is largely down to the interviewer as there are no right or wrong answers, just their interpretation. I think this is unfair but there is no appeal process so I moved on.

I passed all the tests and then made a complete mess of the 2 hand coordination. I figured if I went out of the track I should start at the beginning. I am now wondering if I should re-enter the track where I left or do I go really slowly and try and not leave the track.
I wish the fact that my employer is so keen that they have happily sent me again (4th and final time) meant something to this process.
So should I go slow and accurate, slightly faster and start at the beginning when I leave or try and re-enter where I left?
Anybody I've asked who passed (all gamers) said they thought it was easy and left the track lots of times.
Annoying me about this is the fact I can drive an excavator which is 2 hand and feet and fly my drone but it takes time to learn these skills, time they dont give applicants here.

Ok my best shot and opinion, as i passed last july. I am a gamer but thought it was nothing like. Out of the ten times, three times i didnt got out the tracks, seven i did, and one of them i left the tracks four times. The mix between speed and accuracy is in my opinion equal. I believe that they are looking also to see how you cope, so does the applicant panic, or calmly get back in the lines. Hope this helps.

Ash7

Guys just wanted some advice, I'm afraid I do not know the name of the test but it is the one with the keyboard and different coloured buttons along with pedals as well as having to listen out for tones too. If anyone that has been through this could kindly give any advice or tips or share there experiance a little it would be greatly appreciated. I have heard that there is no way to keep up with this test due to the speed that it goes, slightly worried!
Many thanks

Dynamonic

Guys just wanted some advice, I'm afraid I do not know the name of the test but it is the one with the keyboard and different coloured buttons along with pedals as well as having to listen out for tones too. If anyone that has been through this could kindly give any advice or tips or share there experiance a little it would be greatly appreciated. I have heard that there is no way to keep up with this test due to the speed that it goes, slightly worried!
Many thanks

Hi Ash7,

The test you describe is no longer part of the train driver recruitment process. It was discontinued around 2013 I believe. :)

Hi...

I did my assessment centre yesterday and I thought the 2 Hand test would be easier for me as I'm a gamer. I was wrong - it was probably harder because unlike gaming joysticks and probably those on an excavator and a drone, the joysticks on have 2 axis's each - left-right and up and down. I found that I wanted to move the joysticks diagonally and of course you can't which is quite frustrating and caused me to make a few errors. However I managed to get the hang of it but even then I probably only managed to keep it within the tracks completely on just one or two occasions!

Divermckay

Hi...

I did my assessment centre yesterday and I thought the 2 Hand test would be easier for me as I'm a gamer. I was wrong - it was probably harder because unlike gaming joysticks and probably those on an excavator and a drone, the joysticks on have 2 axis's each - left-right and up and down. I found that I wanted to move the joysticks diagonally and of course you can't which is quite frustrating and caused me to make a few errors. However I managed to get the hang of it but even then I probably only managed to keep it within the tracks completely on just one or two occasions!
The fact they have 2 axis and I kept pushing diagonally was where I went wrong. The cursor kept freezing and I couldn't see which stick I had moved wrong so I had to let them go and recentralize to start again. I never completed one lap.

There was certain amount of judder on the screen - I'm not sure if it was deliberate or not, but it made it harder that's for sure

Monopoli

Hi there,
Just needing help from a current train driver or someone who has recently passed the trainee train driver process. I have applied for many TOC but struggle to get to the assessment stage. Is there any advice in regards to hitting key words or what they want me to demonstrate. I am at a loss. As my current job and life experiences would suggest I would be given the opportunity to take the test. Clearly I am missing something :rolleyes:

Hi there,
Just needing help from a current train driver or someone who has recently passed the trainee train driver process. I have applied for many TOC but struggle to get to the assessment stage. Is there any advice in regards to hitting key words or what they want me to demonstrate. I am at a loss. As my current job and life experiences would suggest I would be given the opportunity to take the test. Clearly I am missing something :rolleyes:

I passed the assessment process last week but I'm not sure what I did on the initial application that I didn't on the previous one (which I failed to get through), as they were very similar in format. Apart form all the usual stuff about completing application forms - grammar, spelling, making sure you answer the questions they are actually asking - i.e be relevant, I'm not sure if there is some magic formula to all of this. What doesn't help is that they don't normally tell you why you didn't get to the assessment stage which means its impossible to know where you went wrong. I think that often they have just too many people that tick all the boxes.

I should add that I got rejected initially for the TOC went for last week because I lived to far away (they told me this) but I replied and said I would be prepared to relocate and they said that's fine. The same thing happened to the only other person who passed the assessment day with me.

1812_s

Guys what sort of questions would you get during the mmi stage of application process?

Cheggers

Hi everyone I need some advice on the Stage 1 TEA-Occ test and specifically part 3 (tones and directory).

I went for Chiltern Driver early last year and got enhanced on all tests bar the one above. I totally cocked up becUse I Thought you had to only circle the restaurants with double symbols so I was taking too long checking to make sure they were restaurants. I think I shakily have just circled everything with a double symbol. Can anyone help?

I have Virgin Driver Tests on 27th March in crewe for the Apprentice Driver role and as far as I know I only have to do the TEA-Occ on stage 1.

Thank you in advance.

When I did my test recently I did just circle the restaurants and plumbers that had those titles in their names (and the double symbols of course) and I passed. To be fair there were so many and the time was so short that it wasn't that difficult to pick them out.

Are you saying you have redone the test?

Cheggers

When I did my test recently I did just circle the restaurants and plumbers that had those titles in their names (and the double symbols of course) and I passed. To be fair there were so many and the time was so short that it wasn't that difficult to pick them out.

Are you saying you have redone the test?

27th March I’m ready doing the TEA-Occ. I failed part 3 the pink sheet with restaurants and bleeps. I didn’t know whether just to circle all double symbols as they’re all Restaurants anyway or there are other trades in there with double symbols.

Cheggers

Part 2 to this story. Now been told I have to do Group Bourdon test again as well as TEA-Occ but not TRP. I got an Enhanced pass for Group Bourdon with Chiltern so god knows what the Virgin Pass mark is?