• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bedford -> Birmingham Off Peak time confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

AeroSpace

Hi all,

I need to travel from Bedford to Birmingham New Street. I am planning to buy the Off Peak Return priced at £25.40.

I have looked up the restriction code here on brfares.com. From this, it appears that (Mon-Fri):
  • on the outbound journey, I should be able to use any train departing 0845 or after;
  • on the return journey, there should be no time restriction.
However, when I search for this route on TOC journey planners, they show that:
  • on the outbound journey, I can use the train that departs Bedford at 0829;
  • on the return journey, I cannot use any train that departs Birmingham New Street before 0914.
What is going on here, and which trains can I use?

Many thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It is correct for booking sites to offer you an itinerary providing you do not depart Bletchley between 0430-0844 on the outward portion, and for any train from Birmingham providing it is not booked to arrive into Euston between 0230-0959.

The itinerary is evidence of a contract, entitling you to travel at the booked times. If a member of staff thinks that the ticket should not be valid at those times, they can take a note/photo of the ticket and report it. They could also withdraw the ticket providing they provide you with a zero fare replacement ticket. Under no circumstances can the customer be denied travel or charged an extra fare.

If an extra charge was made incorrectly, your first step would be to write to the train company to lodge a complaint and seek a refund/compensation. If the train company does not co-operate then contact the retailer;they may be prepared to support your case and discuss the matter with the relevant train company.

AeroSpace

Thank you for the speedy reply.

It is correct for booking sites to offer you an itinerary providing you do not depart Bletchley between 0430-0844 on the outward portion, and for any train from Birmingham providing it is not booked to arrive into Euston between 0230-0959.

How could I have figured this out by myself? The restriction code I linked to does not mention intermediate stations, or a 1000 Euston restriction on the return journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.