• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Been away from the scene for years ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DiscoStu

I used to be a regular loco basher in this country until about 1992, and then spread my wings to Ireland, and then Europe. Mainly because of the lack of diesel hauled stuff in this country.

My interest in Railways then vanished completely with the diesel era, but tonight I thought I'd have a quick look and see what's happening in this country, and to my horror almost ALL diesel loco's have been withdrawn (apart from the new 66's etc) and you don't even see electric hauled trains any more!

I'm also amazed that, reading through these forums, the topics of discussion are mainly about trains that were considered "rancid" back in the day. Sprinters, "Vomiters" (whatever they are), HST's (trams when I was a kid) are all discussed as viable and interesting trains.

This isn't a dig at the people who are on here, or their interests, I'm just amazed at how much the scene has changed over the years that I'd been away. It's such a shame. If I turned up at Euston tomorrow morning and brought a ticket for the Glasgow train, I'd still have expected a class 87/90 to be up front! Although that's probably down to my ignorance!! :lol:

I do enjoy reading about memories of days gone by though, so keep' em comin'! :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

class313

There is still the odd class 90 hauled set floating around- the 'Pretendolino', 90+refurb MK3's+DVT

Daniel

Established Member
It is interesting to see how types of trains considered rubbish when first launched end up being favourites of enthusiasts.

I must say it is something I have often thought about - what will come next after the "modern" units such as desiros... and well they every be favourited by enthusiasts? I can't imagine a railtour on a 450... unless you wan't to stand ;D

theblackwatch

Established Member
Things have certainly changed a lot in the past 10-20 years. In the period you've been missing, most things which people considered to be of interest have gone, and people get frothed up now over things you would ignore back then. A lot of people have either given up totally (as you did) or diversified their interests - more people definately go abroad now, others have got involved in preservation, people will go out scratching units (a mate of mine has cleared his 156s and 158s) and there are certianly more people going out doing steam.

There are other 'positive' things that have happened though. Did you imagine that since you gave up, a Class 40, four Deltics and a Western have all returned to the main line - and a Deltic had a regular summer Saturday service train diagram in 1998 and 1999!

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
...and there's the 90 haulage between Liverpool Street and Norwich ( well, most of the time anyway! )

DiscoStu

I'm still reading through some of these threads, and I can't believe I'm reading about a RailTours with 87002 from Watford to Edinburgh and back.

I suppose it's just how times have changed, but I would never have thought I'd see the day when people discussed HST diagrams for summer Saturdays.

I remember when everybody would meet on New Street station at about 4am on a Saturday and somebody would rock up with the gen for the day. Then everybody would shoot off in different directions. Some would go down the Cambrian with 2x37's, some over to Yarmouth, some to Skeggy with the 20's. I once left school in Northampton, shot off to Coventry and took the Brighton-Glasgow/Edinburgh to Carstairs for the 1B29 portion to Waverley with any random 26/37/47 before getting the Overnight back to Rugby/Northampton and straight back into school the next day .... I did this for three weeks running once on an out of date All Line Rover :lol:

Sorry - I know I'm banging on .. just reminiscing a bit I s'pose, and thought there might at least be something of interest on our railways :cry:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Just read your post about the Deltics returning to Main Line use ... are they still used on tours today?

there are a few 57's + 67's on passenger workings down Cardiff way which is always going to be better than a DMU. They run to Holyhead / Taunton / Paignton.

ungreat

We used to gather on the Erewash Valley line in the 70's and watch 20's,24's,25's,31's, 37's, 40's,44's,45's,46's,47's...even the old BR 04 D2258 at Bennerley Opencast,also the NCB owned ex BR Class 10's Simon,David and Robin(D3613,D3618 and D3619) that used to shunt the sidings at Langley Mill.In 1975 3 Class 17 Claytons were towed through en route to Cashmores scrapyard by a class 40..Happy memories!

theblackwatch

Established Member
Just read your post about the Deltics returning to Main Line use ... are they still used on tours today?

Only one (55022) is currently active on the main line. Next tour is on Monday (Stockport-Edinburgh, out via S&C, return ECML), see
http://www.retrorailtours.co.uk/rt4.php for more info. This is followed by a Spitfire train from Preston to King's Cross with an add-on to Oxford, details at http://www.spitfirerailtours.co.uk/Future tours2.htm . Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.