• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Been trying to get a job in the rail industry for a year: is it worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joliver

Not how it is for every TOC though. Mine for example is an average four day 34 hour week. Work 8 weeks on, then off for two weeks (rest days and four days A/L). Within that 10 week period I'm never rostered on for more than six consecutive shifts, unless I do RDW.
Didn't mean to include ComUtor's message in my post above.:rolleyes:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Petersmith36

Can admin please close my post. It has went completely off point and it’s very boring reading petty squabbles

Established Member
Which do you prefer ?

I must admit 'little and often' feels like the perfect description for our shifts.

That’s a very good question. Honest answer? I’m still not sure!

I was dreading the long periods on when I first moved but so far its not been too bad at all. I think the nature of the work makes a big difference: you’re much less knackered after a shift and the start and finish times aren’t as extreme. The predictable five day weekend is also nice.

Then again six on the bounce is a long run of days to get through, especially as a couple of the runs go from early to late. That’s good from a fatigue point of view but not good for the social life.

I also miss having the min two off - which I think should be the gold standard. Single rest days are not good.

For intensive work I’d much rather stick with little and often for recovery. I know GTR and ARL have similar patterns to my place, but with their very intensive work, which sounds like the worst of all worlds!

Whatever the type of work, how you more senior boys used to do this job 5 days a week (average), I’ll never know :D.

Established Member
Can admin please close my post. It has went completely off point and it’s very boring reading petty squabbles

Obvious trolling aside, this thread has generated some interesting discussion of the good and bad points of the job.

ComUtoR

Established Member
I was dreading the long periods on when I first moved but so far its not been too bad at all. I think the nature of the work makes a big difference: you’re much less knackered after a shift and the start and finish times aren’t as extreme. The predictable five day weekend is also nice.

I miss long weekends. Some days I think they are worth the sacrifice.

Then again six on the bounce is a long run of days to get through, especially as a couple of the runs go from early to late. That’s good from a fatigue point of view but not good for the social life.

Fatigue is weird. For me, the most important is the transition from late/early and vice versa and having a consistent start time. We go from 05 - 04 -08 starts and your body clock is up the proverbial creek. Being Metro I am intense from start to finish so fatigue from long weeks and long days can come quite quickly. I'd like to know what the impact of fatigue is from those from the likes of Virgin LNER etc. and the longer distant Mainliners.

I also miss having the min two off - which I think should be the gold standard. Single rest days are not good.

100% argeed

Whatever the type of work, how you more senior boys used to do this job 5 days a week (average), I’ll never know :D.

I started at 9hrs 45mins max and a 5 day week. Currently on 4 day fixed and 35hr average week. TBH the work content hasn't changed. You can still get the same work we had on 9hr 45min into a 9hr diagram. All they have done is reduce the PNBs and cut down the turnaround times. Productivity is through the roof. They have asked for an increase in productivity in the new pay deal. I'm dreading it.

Or all the rostering patterns and variations I've worked under. I liked the fixed/repeating rest day pattern the best. The 5 day weeks for the additional week off certainly interests me. 5 days at 9hr 45mins is a killer but 5 days with an average 8hrs 30mins is quite reasonable and I'd agree that predictable 5 day weekends are pretty sweet.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If anyone sees any post that causes concern, please click the report button and let us know the detail of your concern.

Please never refer to such concerns on any forum thread, for example by referring to incidents of trolling; for the avoidance of doubt any such incidents should be reported immediately using the report button and not replied to.

I have not read this thread but if there is any problematic content contained within it, please ensure it is reported and not responded to in any way.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.