• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Berko power supply,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaztynan

Hi,

I have 6 berko signals on my layout at the moment. I am looking for a 12v dc power supply. My local maplin store has many, although i don't understand the amps bit?

I am currently powering them off a 9v battery, but they are dim and this was a temporary fix.

How many amps do i need? Thanks for your help!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John Webb

Established Member
Hi,

I have 6 berko signals on my layout at the moment. I am looking for a 12v dc power supply. My local maplin store has many, although i don't understand the amps bit?

I am currently powering them off a 9v battery, but they are dim and this was a temporary fix.

How many amps do i need? Thanks for your help!

The Berko signals use LEDs which don't really need more than 10m(ille)A(mps) each - so 6 signals = 60mA. (Or a bit more if any are 4 aspect with two yellows showing.) So a 1amp (1000mA) supply will do.

But I would suggest you get a 2A supply - give you plenty of power for LEDs for lighting buildings, street lights etc. at little extra cost.

DXMachina

If your train PSU has a 12v DC uncontrolled output you can use that; if it has 12v AC you need a single diode (1N4001 is a good choice as its extremely cheap on eBay and can handle more power than you need) in series, and optionally a 1000 microfarad capacitor to smooth the power after the diode.

Connect the diode so the white line end is connected to the Positive (probably red) signals power lead (and the no-white-line end connects to one lead from the AC supply) and the capacitor with its Positive (+) terminal connected to the white end of the diode and its negative (-) terminal connected to negative wire from signals and through to the other AC line.

Alternatively, most people have some dead electrical or electronic devices stored away somewhere. Look for an internet router, portable shaver or radio DC adapter/charger, check the voltage matches and that its DC, and cut the DC plug off and wire in...

Be very careful not to do this with a mains cable - be sure what you have is a DC power adapter. Generally a DC power adapter has a white line printed along the positive wire.

If you have an AC power adapter of appropriate voltage refer to my instructions above for using a diode to make DC power and a capacitor to optionally smooth it.

Gaztynan

Thanks for the advice, i managed to get a 12v dc power suply from maplin for £9.99 this works great. Although after finding a few of these in a draw from old phones/routers, i could have saved a tenna!

Never mind, thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.