• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Berney Arms

Status
Not open for further replies.

JW16

A rare holiday to the Suffolk/Norfolk border this summer will bring me, my wife and 6 month old child to within a few miles of Berney Arms and I am keen to take the opportunity to visit the station.

However, as far as I can see, our options are either to:
1. Catch a train from Reedham to BA (arriving approx 12pm) and have a picnic in the area before taking the return train at approx 3:30pm,
2. Catch a train from Reedham to BA (arriving approx 12pm) then walk back to Reedham, although I'm not sure how long this could take.

Has anyone done either of these, or does either option sound viable? We'd be traveling on a weekday so unfortunately the trains aren't as frequent as on a Sunday.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Option 3: train to Gt Yarmouth, walk to BA, catch train to Reedham etc?
BA is about equidistant between Yarmouth and Reedham, something like 7-8 km along the river bank footpath. I'm not sure I'd want to walk it with a 6-month old child in tow unless you're happy pushing an all-terrain buggy over rough-ish ground for 2-3 hours.

There are some other old threads about BA on here:
https://www.railforums.co.uk/search/1766207/?q=berney+arms&t=post&o=date&c[title_only]=1
Worth a flick through for more tips.

pitdiver

Let's hope they don't suffer like the other family who got stranded at BA and eventually called the Inshore Lifeboat out.

Established Member
Firstly I would recommend going to Berney Arms first and then picnic or walk to Reedham or Yarmouth. If you plan to walk TO Beeney Arms and mis-judge the time you’ll have to keep walking or wait hours for the next train. Neither are a good option.

Walked both ways from BA, but my preference is to walk BA to Reedham, as Reedham is a pleasant village and Great Yarmouth isn’t.

JW16

Thanks for the replies.

Is the windmill open to the public? Are there any other "things to do" (I notice on the map there is a castle)?

Is the walk back to Reedham doable with a pram or would you recommend a child carrier?

JW16

The third option proposed would be difficult as we would have to drive to a station (e.g. Reedham) to catch a train to BA then get back to the origin either by train or walking.

Established Member
Thanks for the replies.

Is the windmill open to the public? Are there any other "things to do" (I notice on the map there is a castle)?

Is the walk back to Reedham doable with a pram or would you recommend a child carrier?

Too wet and a pram gets stuck in the mud. Too dry and every lump and rabbit hole will be felt. It would be a rough ride for the small one in a pram. Wouldn't recommend that, child carrier would be favourite.

Alex Smith

I am also looking to visit BA this Summer. Just out of curiosity if a train was cancelled for any reason at BA what are the contingency plans from the TOC?

AlexNL

Established Member
That does not have to be an issue...

teN5Gqq.png

(Picture of a "Shaman" 8x8 all terrain vehicle)

gcmozart

My wife & I did the walk from Berney Arms to Reedham earlier this year. There were very extensive works going on along the river bank (to the area of Polkeys Mill), which meant the walk was less plesant than expected. The access to the riverbank was blocked for that distance so the views were very restricted. I do not know if they are finished yet.

The walk took us about two hours IIRC, I would think twice about doing that walk if the works are still ongoing

Edit to add date
We travelled 23/03/2018

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
It looks like Berney Arms is completely without train service later this year. I am planning a trip in November to the region and hoped to pass through, but RTT is saying no trains either way all day, any day of the week, for as much of November as I searched for.

Is that line being completely closed, no planned engineering work on the NR website that I could see.

Status
Not open for further replies.