• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best Advice Obtaining a Seat Reservation on ATW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Could anybody recommend my best course of action here please? If it's impossible: not the end of the world, and given I can only access a ticket office managed by Northern my chances they've come across this oddity are slim...

What should I ask for, or if I am told I cannot reserve a seat because the train doesn't have resevable seats (just counted place reservations, which of course someone at Northern would be familiar with)?

Many Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I don't see why you can't get a reservation at your local station, as the ATW website states:

Please note: Arriva Trains Wales Advance Purchase fares don't come with a seat reservation. If you would like a seat reservation, please visit your local staffed station to arrange this.

http://www.arrivatrainswales.co.uk/AdvanceTicket/

tom_h

I normally use the Cambrian line from Aberystwyth to Birmingham. On some journeys seats can be reserved but on some others you can't.

I think booking online would be your best bet as it does give you the option to reserve seats on certain services, or at the very least it will let you know if that particular service has reservable seats.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Yes, Arriva Trains Wales say you can get a Seat Reservation from staffed stations, and maybe you can with a breeze from ATW ticket offices but much less so others. If the member of staff in question is not familiar with any ATW services it's been known for them to get annoyed when you don't accept that they tell you seat reservations are not available on some services. :(

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I expect the main problem is that some services can be reserved, others can't. I don't think there will be a problem in anyone making a reservation as long as it is permitted for that service.

What journey are you making?

Starmill

Veteran Member
The train I was looking at does offer seat reservations, but it is probably just me interpreting the website incorrectly? I want an Advance ticket (it appears I didn't make that clear... sorry) and you can get seat reservations online for the journey I want if you buy an Anytime ticket. But then why the wording on the website about visiting a ticket office? I've bought the tickets now, Crewe to Cardiff Central, and was told at the ticket office that you can only ever get seat reservations on Arriva Trains Wales when you buy a 'full-price' ticket.

I'm confused :-?

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Yes, I thought it was an Advance ticket, but wasn't sure of the route.

Perhaps ther eis a discrepancy with the information within the industry and what ATW have on their own website. Perhaps there is genuine confusion.

It might be wroth emailing ATW and asking for clarification. Their Customer Service dept is quite good in my experience.

One thing's for sure, judging by the number of seat reservations out on some Marches trains, they can't be only Anytime tickets!

Status
Not open for further replies.