• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best app for train tickets with via points and paper collection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnkleBoots

Can anyone recommend a train ticket-buying app which offers the following:

- Via points
- Collection of paper tickets rather than e or m
- Option to buy Plusbus
- Option to vary interchange times (so as to force a non-reservable service on the connection part of an Advance ticket)

I have tried XC, Southern, Chiltern, Northern and TPE but these don't do all the above.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cactustwirly

Established Member

- Via points
- Option to buy Plusbus
- Option to vary interchange times (so as to force a non-reservable service on the connection part of an Advance ticket)

I have tried XC, Southern, Chiltern, Northern and TPE but these don't do all the above.

The Trainline app allows you to set via points, and doesn't charge a fee if you book on the day of travel.

Otherwise I suspect your best bet is to use a website.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member

- Via points
- Option to buy Plusbus

Other than PlusBus, TrainSplit or TrainsCanBeCheaper (the latter being useful if you want to force the use of a specific through ticket), does all of those.

PlusBus can be bought from the conductor onboard or any open ticket office.

mirodo

The Trainline app allows you to set via points, and doesn't charge a fee if you book on the day of travel.

Otherwise I suspect your best bet is to use a website.

The other benefit I've discovered with Trainline is that it allows you to add the ticket to your Apple Wallet if you're using an iPhone. This means you can access the ticket from the lock screen of the deice without having to unlock it and go into the ticket app to display the barcode.

Joe Paxton

Established Member
Other than PlusBus, TrainSplit or TrainsCanBeCheaper (the latter being useful if you want to force the use of a specific through ticket), does all of those.

PlusBus can be bought from the conductor onboard or any open ticket office.

The TrainSplit app unfortunately doesn't offer the ability to specify a 'via' point (and there is no TrainsCanBeCheaper app).

Both the TrainSplit and TrainsCanBeCheaper websites use responsive design so render sensibly on mobile devices, but I find they are still somewhat clumsy to actually use on a mobile.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
The TrainSplit app unfortunately doesn't offer the ability to specify a 'via' point (and there is no TrainsCanBeCheaper app).

Both the TrainSplit and TrainsCanBeCheaper websites use responsive design so render sensibly on mobile devices, but I find they are still somewhat clumsy to actually use on a mobile.
This is true - the desktop mode version of the site is fairly usable though, and there is no other booking engine out there that I'm aware of that does the same level of flexibility for calling points and the like.

philjo

Established Member
The Thameslink app will let you enter a via point.
However you have to enter origin and destination first and run the search. then edit the search - the via option now appears!

Transpennine and virgin trains used to offer the via/avoid option but it has been removed in recent updates.

Joe Paxton

Established Member
The Thameslink app will let you enter a via point.
However you have to enter origin and destination first and run the search. then edit the search - the via option now appears!

The same applies for the other Govia "On Track" apps (Southern and Southeastern).

The booking process in those apps is however basically a framed link to the respective mobile websites' booking process.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
- Option to vary interchange times
On Trainsplit/Trainscanbecheaper, change the "via" point to "calling at", enter your station (3-letter codes accepted), then add the interchange time if you like. Any additional interchange time is added to the minimum interchange times.

Jurg

I see the XC Android app has now been updated to include via or avoid options.
IMG_20190608_073431.jpg

philjo

Established Member
The LNER app has the via/avoid and no changes options. The layout is the same as the desktop version.

Joe Paxton

Established Member
The LNER app has the via/avoid and no changes options. The layout is the same as the desktop version.

The only LNER app at present is the LNER Travel Buddy app. On Android at least this does not feature a ticket booking function, rather it just provides a link to the LNER mobile site (not via a frame in the app, but just as a conventional link that opens in your device's web browser).

Marton

GWR does all but interchange time change.

I haven’t seen any that do it anymore, EC used to, which is a problem sometimes.

philjo

Established Member
The iOS version of the Virgin Trains app was updated last week and the ability to specify via/avoid points has been restored. it also has a filter to show direct trains only (& an option for VT services only).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.