• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

best device for accessing internet whils on a train.

Status
Not open for further replies.

I Already have a phone for texting and phoning but was wondering what is the best Laptop tablet, pad, phone for accessing say just the internet and my emails? I'm not right keep on tablet devices, just a small laptop so on long journey's i can watch films , music ect just something like a small laptop .

thanks Andy.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Yew

Established Member
I'd say a google nexus 7, I know you're not sold on tablets, but generally net books perform poorly with their limited specs when running a full pc operating system. (Although maybe this has changed with windows8?) but I find my tablet is perfect for watching a film, and basic net browsing, yet can easily fit in a coat pocket.

I'd say a google nexus 7, I know you're not sold on tablets, but generally net books perform poorly with their limited specs when running a full pc operating system. (Although maybe this has changed with windows8?) but I find my tablet is perfect for watching a film, and basic net browsing, yet can easily fit in a coat pocket.

I was looking at tablets when your watching a film do you just hold the tablet or can you get a stand to put on the train table ? cheers for your info.

gswindale

Hi,

You can get stands/cases for most tablets that are useful for watching films etc.

Muzer

Established Member
I was looking at tablets when your watching a film do you just hold the tablet or can you get a stand to put on the train table ? cheers for your info.
You'd have to have downloaded the film in advance, mind - unless you just commute on suburban rail services in a big city, you're not going to have a good HSDPA (3G) connection on most of it.

For general web browsing, I personally just tether my phone to my laptop - only one SIM card to pay for, that way; I don't have to separately pay for my calls and my internet, and I do also frequently use the internet on my phone itself if I just need to check something. I am, however, a complete computer nerd.

musicking1306

A chromebook 3G but only if you enjoy using the Chrome Browser. I have one and I have to say they are excellent at everything on the web but with no disk drive and no capability to hold programs outside the browser it may not be the thing for you. (office is incorporated into Google Docs/Drive)

Clip

Established Member
Your budget will determine what is best for you really. I still love me Nexus 7 and its not too big so can pop in jacket pocket too

Status
Not open for further replies.