• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best fish & chips near a station?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gg1

Established Member
The best chips I've ever had were from a chippy just outside Dudley Port station (and yes they did orange chips) which sadly closed about 3 years ago.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

james60059

Wales chippy near Nuneaton Station, or the one round the corner from Water Orton, both have satisfied my hunger over the years.

ash39

Established Member
The best chips I've ever had were from a chippy just outside Dudley Port station (and yes they did orange chips) which sadly closed about 3 years ago.

I was told about orange battered chips when working in Birmingham briefly a couple of years ago, but never manged to try any :(

I'm still intrigued by them, so if anyone can recommend a chippy within reach of a station which does orange chips, I'm all ears!

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I’ve also never had any issues with Papa’s on the pier at Cleethorpes. We get about 45 minutes there on Sunday evenings and it’s nice to walk up there and eat your chips on the pier before heading back. It’s also open fairly late, unlike some of the other chippies.

In Lincoln, there’s The Sign of the Fish on Sincil Street not far from the station. It’s mostly a lunchtime establishment and under normal circumstances it’s really busy in the day.

Another vote for Carrington’s at Nottingham too.

GiT™

Capturevc.JPG

1.1 Miles from Great Coates to Wybers Chippy. Might not be super close, but well worth the walk/cycle.

gg1

Established Member
I was told about orange battered chips when working in Birmingham briefly a couple of years ago, but never manged to try any :(

I'm still intrigued by them, so if anyone can recommend a chippy within reach of a station which does orange chips, I'm all ears!

They're not as common as they used to be, the one place I know with absolute certainty still does them is 'Black Country Chippy' (I last went a about a month before lockdown) in Great Bridge, probably a 5-10 minute bus journey from Dudley Port station, the 74 bus drives right past both the station and the chippy.

ash39

Established Member
Scoffs in Paignton does. 2 mins from the station on Torbay Road (walk towards the seafront from the station).

Interesting, I was under the illusion they were a West Midlands/Black Country thing?

A near-miss there - my mate and I picked up some chips in Paington a couple of years ago on a HST move, but from somewhere else!

Sheddyone

Majors in Bilston - close to Bilston Central tram stop - are probably the best known in the Black Country.

dave87016

Established Member
About 10 years back I used to get a West Yorkshire Day Rover and go Knottingley about 5 mins walk from station there is a chippy eat in and takeaway called the Fishery Dishery I think it is called , that was a brilliant place Fish Chips peas bread and butter and a brew for less than £5 the food was brilliant went about 2 years ago wasn’t the same quality

Around the same time ( 10 years ago) I went to a chippy about 2 mins from South Elmsall Station that was another brilliant one

robbeech

Established Member
One that got away - Village Fisheries - Dronfield (Derbyshire). I read somewhere, possibly on this forum, that these guys did superb fish and chips. The word must be well known locally, as the Friday evening queue was out of the door. Sadly, we didn't have enough time to queue before our next train.

Certainly an excellent place. Not open all day (like many) so if you plan on a trip in the future, make sure you get current opening times. Dronfield is permitted on a South Pennines Day Ranger.

Also, a little closer to me, the next village to be precise, "Creswell Fish Bar" in Creswell, a couple of minutes walk from the station.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Interesting, I was under the illusion they were a West Midlands/Black Country thing?

A near-miss there - my mate and I picked up some chips in Paington a couple of years ago on a HST move, but from somewhere else!

The South West mingles with any part of the country. Some chippies down there offer gravy too. The South West is a halfway house between London and more northern parts of the country culture-wise

D6975

Established Member
Scoffs in Paignton usually have someone outside offering a sample chip to passers-by. If you just have one, it tastes nice. But don’t be tempted to buy a full portion. You will soon discover that they are very high in fat content and lie very heavily on the stomach. My son and I regularly go to Paignton and much prefer the chips from Rooses café on the corner a few metres further down towards the prom. We usually go in and sit down as the prices are only slightly higher than takeaway and I can have a pot of tea.

Nearer to my home, from Lawrence Hill it’s a short walk to Hamblins which is very good. Not on the main road, you’ll need to look up the route.

notabasher

Trencher’s Whitby.

And almost any other with every further step taken from the station, particularly honourably including Mr. Chips on Church Street.

However, even having sampled Gordon Ramsay’s Cod and Chips at his Heddon Street Kitchen back to back with Trencher’s (well, one Saturday to the next), Trencher’s remains the one to beat IMHO.

Seconded. Trencher's best I've ever had although some philistine members of my family prefer No 1 in Cromer where they fry in oil, and is about half a mile from the station so doesn't qualify anyway.

nr758123

Hill Top Village Fisheries, up a flight of 74 steps from Slaithwaite station. In Fry magazine's top 50 fish and chip takeaways in seven out of the past 8 years. Not sure what went wrong in 2017.

robbeech

Established Member
Seconded. Trencher's best I've ever had although some philistine members of my family prefer No 1 in Cromer where they fry in oil, and is about half a mile from the station so doesn't qualify anyway.
I must admit that No 1 in Cromer is very good but doesn't really qualify as you say.

Meole

Arnside chip opp the station although long queues especially when a steam service is to cross the scenic viaduct.

Status
Not open for further replies.