• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best in the World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
At yesterday's annual "The Metros" awards London Underground was awarded the Best Overall Metro award. This follows 2 consecutive years of being awarded as the Best Metro in Europe.

Very well deserved! :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ivo

Established Member
how the **** did that happen? berlin, Munich & nuremberg are way better

I can't speak for Berlin or Nuremberg, but - without meaning to start an argument - London beats Munich easily in my opinion. The S-Bahn is OK, and has some lovely stock, but the U-Bahn is outdated and dull.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Berlin?! You're kidding. When I was there I thought it was awful. Unstaffed stations (even those underground), filthy, covered in graffiti, much more infrequent than the Tube off-peak (never had to wait 10 Min for a Tube in central London) and had a large number of vagrants and other undesirables hanging around.

It's not a surprise in my opinion and is a testament to its staff more than anything. Definitely the best railway system I've ever used.

SS4

Established Member
Berlin?! You're kidding. When I was there I thought it was awful. Unstaffed stations (even those underground), filthy, covered in graffiti, much more infrequent than the Tube off-peak (never had to wait 10 Min for a Tube in central London) and had a large number of vagrants and other undesirables hanging around.

It's not a surprise in my opinion and is a testament to its staff more than anything. Definitely the best railway system I've ever used.

I agree, whenever I've been to London it is a blessed relief to have the tube running what is virtually all day and frequently too, especially in central parts. I've never had a problem either (except when people at Green Park were too thick to realise the next train would shortly be behind which is not the tube's fault). I've not used any other underground railway so I can't make a fair judgement.

WestCoast

Established Member
how the **** did that happen? berlin, Munich & nuremberg are way better

Speaking a huge fan of the mass transit systems in continental Europe - there's no way the U-Bahn in Berlin beats the London Underground - I found there was hardly any staff, broken ticket machines, comparatively infrequent services, graffiti and etched windows everywhere, very tired looking older stock and dodgy stations in suburban East Berlin.

DB's S-Bahn and Regional Bahn of a good standard as usual but the BVG run U-Bahn did not impress me at all.

Munich is far better but it just hasn't got the coverage or charm that the London Underground has.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.