• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best looking London Underground stations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Busman

Clapham South (and Also Gants Hill) for it's 'still in situ' grotty features at lower escalator level going up, giving you the impression you're still in the 70's.
Clapham North and Common for the tiny island platforms
Canary Wharf for its breathtaking modernistic features

And of course .... Baker Street.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Basil Jet

On Moderation
The old Angel station was decrepit, as well as being dangerous with that really overcrowded central platform! The station building was tiny also.
Angel was in the 1990s the closest station to a charity for the blind, making it a particularly catastrophic place to have a narrow island platform.

AM9

Veteran Member
Angel was in the 1990s the closest station to a charity for the blind, making it a particularly catastrophic place to have a narrow island platform.
The first time that I went to Angel was as a child- say aged 7 or 8 to see Coppelia at Sadlers Wells. It was also my first time on the Northern Line. I was used to rumble of Central Line trains arriving at Gants Hill. They were 'standard' type stock and their tunnel sounds included a lot of clatter, so it was easy to guess when they would actually emerge from platform tunnel. However, arriving on the Central at Bank that day, first there was a walk down the spiral staircase to the Northern Line platforms, - giving a feeling of decending to a great depth, then there was the noise of the approaching train, a deep hollow sound totally unlike what I was used to which seemed to be coming for much longer than at Gants Hill. The 38 stock also looked way different, almost spaceship-like*, compared to the flat-fronted central line offering. On arriving at Angel, the narrow platform looked very precarious, especially when there were no trains, I was well aware of the dangers of electrified track by then. Also, I was used to the normal single track platforms of deep tube stations, but not the cavernous twin track type like Angel's.
*Sci-fi images were very much 'artists impressions' in the '50s.

urbophile

Established Member
I remember in the '60s that the Piccadilly Circus booking hall/gateliine area was still quite fresh with it's pseudo art deco presentation
What is 'pseudo' about it? I was entranced by this station as a child on our annual visits to London. To a small child from Yorkshire it conveyed an atmosphere of metropolitan sophistication.

AM9

Veteran Member
What is 'pseudo' about it? I was entranced by this station as a child on our annual visits to London. To a small child from Yorkshire it conveyed an atmosphere of metropolitan sophistication.
I maybe wrong here but I don't think it passes as genuine art deco. That isn't a criticism at all, it looked really good. I used to go there to get red bus, country bus, tube and 'London'* maps. Oh how that has changed.
These were the best of all, they had roads with red. Green line and country buses as well as tube and BR lines on them.

sprunt

At platform level, Gants Hill is very impressive, with its Moscow Metro feel.
Yes, and it's always fun to make the short trip from there to the feel of the New York Subway at Mile End, which won't win any beauty contests but certainly has a unique feel.

Hendon Central is a pretty good building.

Morden looks as though it might once have been a good building - the entrance portico is impressive but the rest of the building is neglected generic 70s.

Strathclyder

Established Member
13 of my picks (in no particular order): Southgate, Canary Wharf, Westminster (Jubilee), East Finchley, Baker Street, Gants Hill, Chesham, Earl's Court, Morden, Arnos Grove, Cockfosters, Lambeth North & Maida Vale.

So many to pick from, it's impossible for me to narrow it down any further than that. But the JLE, Charles Holden and Leslie Green all feature heavily on my favorites list.

Status
Not open for further replies.