• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

best model railway magazine

Status
Not open for further replies.

anglia.rail

I've recently started to think about buying a railway magazine. I would like one possibly with UK news, fleet changes, livery information, and diagrams. Any ideas on what magazine too buy, where they sell it, how often and how much.

Sorry about putting "model railway" in the title, I didn't mean that and is a mistake of mine

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John Webb

Established Member
A model railway magazine will NOT give you regular news on UK railways, fleet changes etc. It will only deal with models that it has chosen to talk about, and while some of these may be modern, the majority won't be.

If you want up to date info on the current railway scene, then 'The Railway Magazine', 'Modern Rail' and 'Rail' are the best bets. The first magazine covers both modern and heritage matters and I have bought it for many years because of the broad coverage. The other two deal almost entirely with the present rail scene, usually in rather more detail than the Railway Magazine does. I sometimes buy 'Rail' as well when it has an item in it of particular interest to me.

Best bet is to go into a local shop/supermarket/Smiths or the like and do a bit of browsing.

shiftapplethre

If you're into modern traction (as opposed to steam) Rail Express covers both 'proper' railway news and has a 30-40 page modelling section in the middle, thus offers a good mix of both things

Condor7

Rail Express was going to be my suggestion as well. That should give you both of what you want.

anglia.rail

Thanks everyone for their advice, it is much appreciated.
I have decided to Get the "modern rail" magazine as its website on what it includes appeals to me most, but thanks everyone for your help :)

Last edited:

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
I would put a vote in for Rail Express also, I haven't seen a copy of Modern Rail to comment on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.