• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best place to change, Norwich to London tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owen

On Moderation
Northern Ireland & East Anglia for University.
The Great Eastern Mainline is under works tomorrow, so trains will terminate at Shenfield. I'm not prepared to go through the hassle of getting on a Bus Replacement service.

So, i'm going to have to go on the WAML or the Great Northern service. However, the last two times i've changed at ELY on a Saturday Morning, i've been unable to get a seat until Cambridge or after.

What is the best route for me to be guaranteed a seat? Change at Cambridge, Peterborough or Ely? Go to Liverpool Street or Kings Cross? Or is the likelihood of me getting a seat low with the People's Vote March?

If it's not recommended that I go, I won't go.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Change at Ely and get one of the trains that start there would be the best bet, surely?

Metal_gee_man

It's the simplist suggestion but maybe not what you'd planned, Norwich to Peterborough is 1h25 then Peterborough to King's Cross/St Pancras is 1h20 on a cheaper GTR (Great Northern/Thameslink service) or 50m on an LNER service! Each time because you jump on the train at a terminating station you'll get a seat

Owen

On Moderation
It's the simplist suggestion but maybe not what you'd planned, Norwich to Peterborough is 1h25 then Peterborough to King's Cross/St Pancras is 1h20 on a cheaper GTR (Great Northern/Thameslink service) or 50m on an LNER service! Each time because you jump on the train at a terminating station you'll get a seat

Isn't the LNER service though a passing service? It's a good idea.

Metal_gee_man

Isn't the LNER service though a passing service? It's a good idea.
Neither of the GTR services pass through so they start at Peterborough, the LNER services obviously pass through so get booking ASAP and book a seat reservation on LNER

LAX54

Established Member
Or .. get the now well oiled and slick RRB Ingatestone to Newbury Park :)

Haywain

Veteran Member
You can't do that with a Norwich - London ticket though, as it isn't a permitted route.

Metal_gee_man

Who said it needed to be permitted, buy two returns, £22.70 to PBO then £20.10 from PBO to KGX which is £42.80, which is £13.90 cheaper than the through ticket cost of £56.70

Established Member
Or .. get the now well oiled and slick RRB Ingatestone to Newbury Park :)

Yes, it is well organised and no great hassle in the grand scheme of life. We even got the executive coach used by Essex Cricket Club a few weeks ago. Very nice vehicle :)

Owen

On Moderation
Yes, it is well organised and no great hassle in the grand scheme of life. We even got the executive coach used by Essex Cricket Club a few weeks ago. Very nice vehicle :)

I think i'd rather just get on a train the whole way there, considering that's what i'd be paying for. Anyway, the quickest option looks to be changing in Ely. Although connection times aren't great.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Who said it needed to be permitted, buy two returns, £22.70 to PBO then £20.10 from PBO to KGX which is £42.80, which is £13.90 cheaper than the through ticket cost of £56.70
If you are going to suggest using non-permitted routes, I think it is best to point out the fact so as not to cause problems for the unwary.

And if travelling via Cambridge it is cheaper to split there than to buy a through ticket, as well as being cheaper than splitting at Peterborough.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.