• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best preserved *genuinely* disused station?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
I just looked Errol up and it’s a bit of a beauty.
Just found this photo online (i.e not mine). Lovely footbridge too.

View attachment 56362
Good heavens, I think those platforms are actually even lower than Dunkeld's!

If you're looking for a moribund but complete building then you could do worse than Dunkeld. The fact that it's really quite a busy operational station seems to have nothing to do with its very appealing 1850s structure.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

exsignalman

I'd go for Star Crossing Halt. Star Crossing Halt 4 March 2011 | Another one of those rare … | Flickr
Disused Stations: Star Crossing Station

Closed in 1962 it's in more or less untouched condition, despite being just yards from the main A541 located between Mold & Nannerch in North Wales.

The station is stiil there, just frozen in time hidden in the trees, totally untouched & almost forgotten about.

I understand that there's still a faded LMR timetable & closure notice inside the platform shelter.

GLC

Strathpeffer station in the Highlands. The station building now contains shops and cafes, but the building and platforms remain https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strathpeffer_railway_station

1527282_b8982d86.jpg

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Haven't been in person but Seaton Junction is a good candidate.
That’s a good shout.
It has (especially the down platform area) become quite overgrown over the last twenty years or so.
I’d love to go up there and set about it with my chainsaw and strimmer for a weekend. I bet most of it’s still there under the foliage.

Jagdpanther

Although not the best preserved it may be the most untouched. It's as if everyone just walked away in 1965 and let nature take over - Broomielaw in County Durham, the Queen Mothers own station.

LUYMun

Watford West, Croxley Green and Watford Stadium Halt in my opinion, because the Met Line Extension doesn't seem likely to happen.
Croxley Green is bound to be demolished, but what will happen to Watford West or Stadium Halt?
Watford West:
watford(nc5.2014)west40.jpg
Croxley Green:
croxley(dave_dew2004)green8.jpg
Watford Stadium Halt:
Watford_Stadium_May2014.JPG

Last edited:

bramling

Veteran Member
Watford West, Croxley Green and Watford Stadium Halt in my opinion, because the Met Line Extension doesn't seem likely to happen.
Croxley Green is bound to be demolished, but what will happen to Watford West or Stadium Halt?
Watford West:
View attachment 56588
Croxley Green:
View attachment 56589
Watford Stadium Halt:
View attachment 56591

I'd say that if the Croxley link doesn't go ahead then eventually the route is likely follow the way of many others and become a cycle path. Whether the platforms survived that would remain to be seen.

LUYMun

the route is likely follow the way of many others and become a cycle path
I doubt so since the Croxley Green branch is in a built-up area, and I luckily used to live right near Stadium Halt for about ten years, however not whilst it was open. From my knowledge, it could become a bus guideway or a tram/light rail shuttle.
I'm not trying to go off-topic, but there are proposals to extend the Bakerloo to Watford Junction, but would require a depot to stabilise the northern section. The original Croxley Green depot was located on the CG curve south of High Street, but due to a new road (Thomas Sawyer Way) and some commercial development, this may not come to fruition.
For now, the entire branch line will slowly rot away.

Last edited:

Halsebee

Highgate station on Ally Pally branch in London, buildings platforms all extant, stairs to tube station below, tunnel mouths. Lots to see, although access rarely permitted

Status
Not open for further replies.