• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best scenic routes in Wales

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
I have plans to do the First 2B, 3A, 129, X1, X11 and X13. Any other good routes worth riding around the area?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
I have plans to do the 2B, 3A, X1, X11 and X13. Any other good routes worth riding around the area?
The X1 is really pretty dull IMHO.

If you want some impressive hills, then the 11 to Maryhill or 12/13 Townhill Circulars - as this photo from local bod and occasional poster @Bristol LH shows

The X13 is ok for the first bit but much nicer north of Ammanford though that's obviously less frequent, and it is a bit of a dead end. A loop that I think is still doable is the X1 Swansea to Port Talbot, X3 to Maesteg, then 70/71 to up and out of the Llynfi Valley to Cymmer in the Afan Valley where there's a well established rural connection with the bus back to Port Talbot.

If you want to be really clever, you can leap off the Cymmer to Port Talbot bus at Pontrhydyfen and do another valley hop on the 59 to Neath and then back to Swansea.

Hope this helps

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
Thank you, this seriously helps. I might in fact consider a trip involving the X3, 70/71, 83 (Cymmer to Port Talbot bus) and 59 at somepoint too!

RELL6L

Agree on a circuit including the 70/71 and Maesteg. The eastern dead-end arms of the 83 are scenic too. The 59 and 83 are supposed to connect so you can plan to do this to include Neath. Oystermouth and Mumbles is a must. Agree the X13 is only really attractive north of Ammanford. X11 is OK and Kidwelly is a great place to stop off at. Of course the best routes are the 349 and the T1 but both are rather out on a limb!

Do explore First Cymru but if you really want scenery you need to go a bit further. The Adventure Travel routes on the Gower, 115-119 are spectacular. If you like a walk then you can do Llangennith to Rhosili in an hour or so.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
Now I'd like to slightly move towards the Cardiff-Newport area, and was wondering, what routes operated by Stagecoach South Wales, Cardiff Bus, New Adventure Travel, Newport Bus etc. are very scenic and worth riding?

I have ridden the 6, 18, 27, 28 and 61 of Cardiff Bus routes, and the 61 was my favourite because of nice scenic views of the Welsh capital (Cardiff) at the Pentrebane terminus.

Of Stagecoach routes I'd like to do the 26, 43, 151, 172, T4, T14, X3, X4, X24 and X43.

Last edited by a moderator:

rcro

Merthyr-Bargoed via Fochriw (1/2?) and Anslow 31 Brynmawr-Blaenavon get you quite high up, as per 172.

151, southern X3 and most of X24 are much more urban, not bad but largely un-scenic. 56 is my pick for the best of the Blackwood routes.
If it’s a nice day with no wind, T4/T14 to Storey Arms is a good place to break for lunch with burger van, ice cream vans and well established walks. Personally, I think both routes get better north of Brecon.

X43 probably offers better views than 43 as it goes over the Bwlch - so “over” looks Pen Cerrig Calch, as well as the main road having less obstructed views of the Beacons. Miss out on some interesting villages but they’re best done walking/cycling/sailing the canal.

RELL6L

The most scenic Merthyr-Bargoed route is the 1 via Deri and Fochriw. I agree with the 56 especially north of Blackwood. 172 Aberdare to Maerdy is a must. T4 north of Merthyr is very good, you can then go from Brecon to Abergavenny. X4 is pretty urban and longwinded (1hr 40 mins Abergavenny to Merthyr) - it is about to be withdrawn (from 29 May) and replaced by an extension to the 78 between Merthyr and Abergavenny, but only hourly. The timetable for the 1 changes then as well but it still runs hourly. I also agree the Phil Anslow 31 from Brynmawr to Blaenavon is scenic on a sunny day.

rcro

Re: Newport Bus routes, not a lot to get excited about. 60 does some typical Monmouthshire terrain along the old road, and all the towns and castles along the way are quite nice. Worth keeping your eyes out for the National Welsh NBC bus stop flag that seemed to appear during the 2020 lockdown(s).

Caerwent and Chepstow are both interesting places but the 73 and X74 routes aren’t! Recommend visiting Chepstow from Bristol (T7), or Gloucester (24), or Monmouth (69) rather than from Newport/South Wales!

RELL6L

The Adventure Travel 303 from Bridgend to Llantwit Major - where it becomes a 304 and continues to Barry - is scenic. I agree there's nothing much in the Newport area. The 60 to Monmouth is a good idea and you could then take the Phil Anslow 69 to Chepstow, via Tintern, that's good. The 73 and X74 are certainly not scenic or interesting. Heading east - perhaps another time - into the Forest of Dean (ie Chepstow/Monmouth eastwards) is better. Or, further afild, the Gower peninsula, that's really good.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Feels like I'm repeating @RELL6L and @rcro in many ways but their suggestions are excellent; as has been said, the 1 from Bargoed to Merthyr (that direction) is wonderfully bleak. Definite one to do. Similarly, the 172 is a corker though I'd go a bit further from Aberdare and say to go to Tonypandy so you also get the climb up and over Penryhs.

I missed out on the 31 last time and as a consolation prize (and a cute little route), I did the 21 from Pontypool to Blackwood. That's a decent one. Agree with the 56 but also the 50 isn't bad as you head from Caerphilly towards Newport.

Moving westwards, the 303 is a corker on a sunny day. For a bit of variety, the 321 from Talbot Green is a rather nice trundle through the Vale of Glamorgan.

Of the urban routes, it's not really that interesting though perhaps head up to Caerleon from Newport.

iantherev

It may be familiarity breeding contempt but I'm not sure the 26 is that scenic now that it doesn't go north of Blackwood especially now that it spends an inordinate amount of time faffing around Heath Hospital. The 86X from the hospital to Caerphilly is much more scenic as it goes over Caerphilly mountain with good views over the Rhymney Valley.

Adventure Travel's T6 north of Ystradgynlais is also highly recommended.

anthony263

Established Member
Adventure travel services 320 Cardiff to Talbot green and Easyways 32A Cardiff to St fagans are worth a trip

peterblue

I have plans to do the First 2B, 3A, 129, X1, X11 and X13. Any other good routes worth riding around the area?

I will echo the suggestions for doing the 1 between Bargoed and Merthyr and the 303 between Llanwit and Bridgend - both of which are stunning routes I've been on.

As for other ideas, I don't think there's anything too exciting in Swansea itself. The first 'X' routes are fairly dull. I'd stick to the valleys further east or around the coast.

If you are not aware, there is an £8.50 dayticket for multiple operators in and around south east wales (covering Newport Cardiff Bridgend Merthyr Abergavenny and others- but not as far as Swansea). This may be a good ticket for you, depending on where you wish to travel

Last edited:

TravelDream

South Wales does have some stunning bus routes.

The 172 over Maerdy mountain offers spectacular views. The T4 north of Merthyr is also spectacular
NAT's 303 from Lantwit to Bridgend also has some beautiful views.

There is a bus ticket that covers basically all bus operators in South Wales, including the routes I have mentioned, apart from Swansea and most Neath Port Talbot area.
It costs £9 and can only be bought onboard the bus. You'd need to work out whether it works out as good value - but if you are on two plus different operators all day, I would say definitely.
(The £8.50 ticket is Stagecoach only)
The T&Cs say:
  • unlimited travel on buses operated by: Cardiff Bus, Capital Links, Newport Bus, Harris Coaches, Phil Anslow & Sons, Easyway, Edwards Coaches, Globe, First Cymru (East of Plye Cross), N.A.T. Group (not available on TrawsCymru T9 Airport bus, Powys, Neath or Swansea area services), Connect 2, Henley's Abertillery, Monmouthshire County Council, Glyn Evans, Peyton Travel, Rees Travel, Thomas of Rhondda, Watts Coaches
  • also vaild on First Cymru buses covering the County of Bridgend and in the Vale of Glamorgan (Cowbridge)
  • unlimited travel on Stagecoach in South Wales buses (except TrawsCymru T4 in Mid Wales between Newtown and Felinfach / Three Cocks in Powys)

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
Thank you very much for your suggestions! Always much appreciated. I also want to do the 303, 304 (both are New Adventure Travel routes), and the 132 from Maerdy to Cardiff, are they also good?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Thank you very much for your suggestions! Always much appreciated. I also want to do the 303, 304 (both are New Adventure Travel routes), and the 132 from Maerdy to Cardiff, are they also good?
The 132 is turgidly dull from Cardiff to Pontypridd. It's better as you go up the Rhondda but I'd not go out of my way for it.

303 has already been mentioned - IIRC, the 303/4 interwork but, to be honest, the 303 is the scenic one.

peterblue

The 132 is turgidly dull from Cardiff to Pontypridd. It's better as you go up the Rhondda but I'd not go out of my way for it.

303 has already been mentioned - IIRC, the 303/4 interwork but, to be honest, the 303 is the scenic one.

In November when I did it, there was a vehicle changeover at Llanwit, but from what I can gather it was a guaranteed connection as the driver was waiting, and a lot of people including myself transferred between the two.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
In November when I did it, there was a vehicle changeover at Llanwit, but from what I can gather it was a guaranteed connection as the driver was waiting, and a lot of people including myself transferred between the two.
Last time I did it, I caught it in Barriy and it ran throughout to Bridgend. Stunning views across to Somerset and around Ogmore

markymark2000

On Moderation
South Wales does have some stunning bus routes.

The 172 over Maerdy mountain offers spectacular views. The T4 north of Merthyr is also spectacular
NAT's 303 from Lantwit to Bridgend also has some beautiful views.

There is a bus ticket that covers basically all bus operators in South Wales, including the routes I have mentioned, apart from Swansea and most Neath Port Talbot area.
It costs £9 and can only be bought onboard the bus. You'd need to work out whether it works out as good value - but if you are on two plus different operators all day, I would say definitely.
(The £8.50 ticket is Stagecoach only)
The T&Cs say:

The Network Rider fare is completely different depending on the operator that you buy it on. £8.50 on Cardiff Bus or First or £8.30 with Newport Bus. Everyone accepts the tickets but just different prices.

TravelDream

The Network Rider fare is completely different depending on the operator that you buy it on. £8.50 on Cardiff Bus or First or £8.30 with Newport Bus. Everyone accepts the tickets but just different prices.

Oh wow. Didn't realise that!

Sort of bizarre that different operators can charge a different amount for exactly the same ticket with exactly the same validity.

A quick Google shows...
Adults:
£9:
£8.50:
£8.30

Children:
£6
£5.65
£5.50

anthony263

Established Member
Network riders are £8.50on easyway services

Adventure travel service 89 Aberdare to Merthyr Tydfil does offer some nice views too

TravelDream

Adventure travel service 89 Aberdare to Merthyr Tydfil does offer some nice views too
The NAT 89 service only runs a couple of times on a Sunday.

The Monday to Saturday service runs half-hourly and is operated by Stagecoach. The route is very slightly different as it doesn't go up to the hospital as the NAT service does, but the bits with the nicer views are the same.
Note there's a lot of road construction at the moment though.

woolos

There are some nice scenic journey from chepstow to pontypool monmouth via trelleck.
Monmouth to Abergavenny.

Dai Corner

Established Member
I did the 132 Pontypridd-Maerdy and back to Taffs Well today, mainly because there are some deckers on it at the moment. The views aren't bad from upstairs as you see can often see the mountains over the buildings but I wouldn't have bothered if I wasn't time rich and a concessionary card holder.

It's basically an urban route, but the loadings I saw don't seem to justify a 15min frequency.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I did the 132 Pontypridd-Maerdy and back to Taffs Well today, mainly because there are some deckers on it at the moment. The views aren't bad from upstairs as you see can often see the mountains over the buildings but I wouldn't have bothered if I wasn't time rich and a concessionary card holder.

It's basically an urban route, but the loadings I saw don't seem to justify a 15min frequency.
As I said earlier...
Think we're in agreement :lol:
There are some nice scenic journey from chepstow to pontypool monmouth via trelleck.
Monmouth to Abergavenny.
Not done Monmouth to Aber but remember doing the 65 Chepstow to Monmouth many years ago - it was quite a pleasant route IIRC

PeterC

Established Member
Not done Monmouth to Aber but remember doing the 65 Chepstow to Monmouth many years ago - it was quite a pleasant route IIRC
I haven't done Monmouth to Chepstow by bus but have done both routes by car. Going via Trellech (other spellings are available) is a pleasant route but the run straight down the Wye Valley, followed by the 69, is spectacular.

Dai Corner

Established Member
I haven't done Monmouth to Chepstow by bus but have done both routes by car. Going via Trellech (other spellings are available) is a pleasant route but the run straight down the Wye Valley, followed by the 69, is spectacular.
I did the 69 Chepstow-Monmouth yesterday. It was a very pleasant ride climbing up past the racecourse, passing the ruins of Tintern Abbey and crossing the Wye to enter England for a few miles. The vegetation blocks many views of the river at this time of year. I prefer the autumn when the leaves are changing colour and falling.

From a 'bus-spotter' point of view, after arriving slightly early at Monmouth bus station for the 1435 60 to Newport (Newport Transport) I also saw vehicles from Phil Anslow, Stagecoach West, Stagecoach South Wales and Monmouthshire County Council. Quite a variety.

Oh, yes, I did spot the National Welsh flag near Llangybi!

Cambrian Lad

You really need to get upto our area the coast of Cardigan Bay & North Wales if you want scenery at it's best. the Strumble shuttle from St Davids to Fishguard, The Poppit Rocket from Fishguard to Cardigan , the Cardi Bach From Cardigan to New Quay & the T5 to Aberystwyth. Then going north the T2 from Aberystwyth to Porthmadog.

padbus

Encouraged by the advice on this thread, I took a trip up and between the South Wales valleys yesterday. The price of the SE Wales Network Rider ticket is discounted for for holders of English or Scottish bus passes. Mine cost me £5.50 on a Cardiff Bus. I believe Stagecoach charge 50p more.

S&CLER

I enjoyed a run on Traws-Cambria from Llandrindod Wells to Newtown via Llanbister and back last week. The bus from Llandrindod to Aberystwyth is also a fine scenic ride (though it goes via Capel Bangor and not the even more scenic route via Devil's Bridge). Most of the mid-Wales routes from Llandrindod and Rhayader are scenic.

Status
Not open for further replies.