• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

"Best Selling" or "Most Popular" products that don't deserve it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

E27007

So much commercial food is lacking, tomatoes, in my modest garden, I grow "Tumblimg Toms" cherry tomatoes from hanging baskets, an easy to grow fool-proof specimen, their flavour is a delight to the palate, beating the expensive "gourmet" shop-bought tomatoes by a country mile.
I give away a good part of the crop to friends and neighbours, "do you have any more of those wonderful tomatoes" is a regular request.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dgl

Established Member
Always disappointed. Find the bread very sweet no matter which one I choose. Would prefer a crunchier baguette, but I guess that wouldn't be a sub roll.
as I understand for tax? reasons Subway bread is not legally allowed to be classed as bread in Ireland as it has too much sugar.

SteveM70

Established Member
as I understand for tax? reasons Subway bread is not legally allowed to be classed as bread in Ireland as it has too much sugar.

It is for tax reasons but the other way round. The franchisee would love to be able to call it bread, as it would then be exempt from VAT, but that would require a maximum of 2% sugar (by weight in the uncooked dough) but the Subway bread-alike is 10% sugar

E27007

It is for tax reasons but the other way round. The franchisee would love to be able to call it bread, as it would then be exempt from VAT, but that would require a maximum of 2% sugar (by weight in the uncooked dough) but the Subway bread-alike is 10% sugar
10% sugar, at what % does it become taxable as cake?
Is the VAT requirement due to Northern Ireland having to follow Eu rules under the Northern Ireland Brexit protocol?

SteveM70

Established Member
10% sugar, at what % does it become taxable as cake?
Is the VAT requirement due to Northern Ireland having to follow Eu rules under the Northern Ireland Brexit protocol?

This was the Republic, not Norn iron, as far as I can recall, and the 10% sugar content meant it was classified as confectionary. The case was about 15 years ago (based on who told me about it and when I worked with them). I'm sure Mr Google will know far more than me.

And before a pedant corrects me, it should be VAT at 0%, not zero VAT

jfollows

Established Member
This was the Republic, not Norn iron, as far as I can recall, and the 10% sugar content meant it was classified as confectionary. The case was about 15 years ago (based on who told me about it and when I worked with them). I'm sure Mr Google will know far more than me.

And before a pedant corrects me, it should be VAT at 0%, not zero VAT
Yes, Republic of Ireland, not UK, so not applicable here (I don't believe, because it hinges on an interpretation of Irish VAT law). However in the UK VAT is payable on heated sandwiches but not on cold ones, so if you get one of the ones that gets heated up, you pay more (for a while, Subway priced them the same but absorbed the cost difference).
In Ireland, if the sugar plus or fat content is greater than 2% of the flour content, by weight, or something like that it's liable for VAT.

EDIT A 2020 ruling, by the way (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54370056), although the issue dates back to 2006.

Subway rolls ruled too sugary to be bread in Ireland​

• Published
      1 October 2020
The rolls used in Subway's hot sandwiches contain too much sugar to be considered bread, according to Ireland's Supreme Court.
Ireland's highest court made the ruling in a case about how the bread is taxed.
An Irish franchisee of the US company had claimed it should not pay VAT on the rolls it uses in heated sandwiches.
But the court ruled that because of the level of sugar in the rolls they cannot be taxed as bread, which is classed as a "staple product" with zero VAT.
Under Ireland's VAT Act of 1972, ingredients in bread such as sugar and fat should not exceed 2% of the weight of flour in the dough.
The five judges, who were considering an appeal by Bookfinders Ltd, a Subway franchisee based near Galway, concluded that in Subway sandwiches the sugar content is around 10% of the flour in the dough for both white and wholegrain rolls.
"Subway's bread is, of course, bread," said a spokesperson for Subway.
"We have been baking fresh bread in our stores for more than three decades and our guests return each day for sandwiches made on bread that smells as good as it tastes."
In Irish law, bread is considered a staple food and has a zero rate of VAT. Following the ruling, the rolls are subject to tax at 13.5%.
The case stems from a decision by Ireland's tax authority in 2006 to refuse Bookfinders' request for a refund on VAT payments made between 2004 and 2005.
After an appeal commissioner upheld the tax authority's refusal of a refund, Bookfinders took its case to the High Court which it lost before going to the Court of Appeal, where it was also unsuccessful.
It is not the first time Subway's bread has been in the spotlight. In 2014, the company announced it was removing azodicarbonamide - the so-called "yoga mat" chemical - from its rolls.
The chemical is used to whiten flour and improve the condition of dough. It is also used to make vinyl foam products such as yoga mats and the underlay for carpets.
Subway stopped using the agent six years ago but the US Food and Drug Administration continues to approve the use of the chemical in produce.

Last edited:

SteveM70

Established Member
However in the UK VAT is payable on heated sandwiches but not on cold ones,

Indeed, which is why the takeaway baked stuff from Greggs is generally lukewarm at best, unless you can drop lucky and order just as a batch comes out of the oven. The definition of "heated" is more to do with how the product is maintained once it has been prepared, rather than how it is made. Not that VAT law is arcane and overly complicated. Perish the thought

Thirteen

Wouldn't say it's Best Selling or Popular but I have a new found love for Leon. It's what I would describe as alternative fast food.

Chipotle is another good one but not cheap although they have fewer stores compared to their rival Tortilla.

E27007

I'm not a big fan of Subway, i find the sandwiches sloppy and fall apart too easily.
The ingredients in Subway are weak on flavour,and the flavour is, being kind, tap-water, Subway probably buy the lowest cost / unsalable ingredients from wherever / whenever.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The ingredients in Subway are weak on flavour,and the flavour is, being kind, tap-water, Subway probably buy the lowest cost / unsalable ingredients from wherever / whenever.

Nowt wrong with l'eau du robinet municipale.

As for Subway, it's not haute cuisine and doesn't claim to be but is nicer, with more variety, than a greaseburger.

DustyBin

Established Member
In regard to Greggs, it’s the apparent popularity of their savoury mince pies that amazes me. They’re absolutely awful! The rest is generally ok in a get-what-you-pay-for kind of way.

Two that haven’t been mentioned: WD-40 and Hammerite. Very poor (or in the case of the former, arguably more misunderstood) products sold at extortionate prices to unsuspecting DIYers. T-cut is another one actually.

Puffing Devil

Established Member
In regard to Greggs, it’s the apparent popularity of their savoury mince pies that amazes me. They’re absolutely awful! The rest is generally ok in a get-what-you-pay-for kind of way.

Two that haven’t been mentioned: WD-40 and Hammerite. Very poor (or in the case of the former, arguably more misunderstood) products sold at extortionate prices to unsuspecting DIYers. T-cut is another one actually.

What's wrong with Hammerite - I've found it a great cover-up fix.

dangie

Established Member
If it moves and it ain’t meant to….. Duct Tape
If it don’t move and it’s meant to….. WD40

All you need…… oh maybe a lump hammer as well……

DustyBin

Established Member
What's wrong with Hammerite - I've found it a great cover-up fix.

It contains no active corrosion inhibitor, it doesn't adhere particularly well, it's easily chipped (or otherwise damaged) and it can't be overpainted.... None of which matters too much I suppose if you're painting an old garden gate, but people use it on all sorts of things where it's wholly unsuitable (on the underside of cars in particular). Whilst you could argue that it's mis-used, you really can't blame laypersons when it's marketed in the way it is!

If it don’t move and it’s meant to….. WD40

Or correctly, if it's wet and it isn't meant to be.... WD-40. :D

philthetube

Established Member
Tried Coke once when I was a kid - and wondered would drinking p*ss be any worse? Found it revolting. Much preferred apple juice or orange juice, but had to give those up, because most seem to get overloaded with sugar.
Apple or orange juice doesn't need overloading with sugar, a pint of fresh unadulterated orange juice contains around 50g approx 2oz sugar.

Puffing Devil

Established Member
It contains no active corrosion inhibitor, it doesn't adhere particularly well, it's easily chipped (or otherwise damaged) and it can't be overpainted.... None of which matters too much I suppose if you're painting an old garden gate, but people use it on all sorts of things where it's wholly unsuitable (on the underside of cars in particular). Whilst you could argue that it's mis-used, you really can't blame laypersons when it's marketed in the way it is!

Rusty metal working requiring a short-term facelift is my go-to use case. I would never have thought about the underside of a car!

Butts

Veteran Member
This may not be an entirely universal view....outside the confines of LHR...I don't know if anybody else on here as ever read "Pravda" as their in house magazine was widely referred to but the name may give you a clue. Or, you could ask people at BFS / MAN / BHX (ignore GLA and the token gesture) about the redundancies and closure of the bases....even LGW, eventually, got hit, but, all hail " the base ! "

You can blame the likes of Easyjet and Ryanair and the advent of the low fare era for that ?

341o2

Established Member
So much commercial food is lacking, tomatoes, in my modest garden, I grow "Tumblimg Toms" cherry tomatoes from hanging baskets, an easy to grow fool-proof specimen, their flavour is a delight to the palate, beating the expensive "gourmet" shop-bought tomatoes by a country mile.
I give away a good part of the crop to friends and neighbours, "do you have any more of those wonderful tomatoes" is a regular request.
Agree, what are marketed as salad tomatoes are, in my experience, totally tasteless, nothing beats homegrown.
A story from the Minack Chronicles, is that the EU demanded that tomatoes be graded by size, no mention of taste.
Eventually, the Taynges gave up grading, and placed tomatoes of all sizes together with the slogan "grown for flavour"

dangie

Established Member
…….but people use it on all sorts of things where it's wholly unsuitable (on the underside of cars in particular….
When was the last time anyone here under sealed their car (ok I know there will be someone, there always is).

I think the last one I did was an Austin Maxi….. :D

DustyBin

Established Member
Rusty metal working requiring a short-term facelift is my go-to use case. I would never have thought about the underside of a car!

Hopefully I haven't given you any ideas.... It's no good on brake callipers either incidentally! :lol:

When was the last time anyone here under sealed their car (ok I know there will be someone, there always is).

I think the last one I did was an Austin Maxi….. :D

Not undersealed, but we give ours a thorough clean every now and then and a quick spray with ACF-50. Well, I say "we"....

Acey

Agree, what are marketed as salad tomatoes are, in my experience, totally tasteless, nothing beats homegrown.
A story from the Minack Chronicles, is that the EU demanded that tomatoes be graded by size, no mention of taste.
Eventually, the Taynges gave up grading, and placed tomatoes of all sizes together with the slogan "grown for flavour"
Yes, I remember reading that many years ago ,my opinion is that a lot of fruit/veg is grown because it looks the part,is disease resistant and is heavy cropping ,taste seems to be the last thing they consider in many cases !

Ediswan

Established Member
For a few years around 1970, family holidays were in Guernsey. The tomato trade was still flourishing. The guest house had its own vinery. That set my expectations for tomato flavour high. Rarely met.

johnnychips

Established Member
Yes, I remember reading that many years ago ,my opinion is that a lot of fruit/veg is grown because it looks the part,is disease resistant and is heavy cropping ,taste seems to be the last thing they consider in many cases !
No, sorry, I can’t stand ‘sweet’ tomatoes. Bland supermarket ones with a bit of salt do the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.