• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best station to get tones?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Class 92

What is the best station to go to where you can get tones without needing to ask for them?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

starrymarkb

Established Member
Anywhere with a whistle board/crossing near by :) Locally I can think of Starcross (foot crossings near the station) - Most services departing Exeter St Davids will hoot before going over the crossing

Searle

Established Member
Garforth has one at the end of one of the platforms. Alternatively you could stand by a foot crossing outside Starcross station, where they have to horn for you :D

scotsman

Established Member
Kudos for going to find places where you don't have to make daft signs at the driver to get a horn blast!

Class 92

I've noticed Stone has a lot of whistle/horn boards but it doesn't get much freight.

LowLevel

Established Member
Well, I'm completely non plussed as I hadn't realised there was such thing as a horn enthusiast, must be because the engines themselves sound so boring now <D

That said, you could get the same effect with ten times less effort by buying a hand held air horn :p

Beveridges

Established Member
Who cares about horn noises - It's the engines that are worth listening to not the horns!
You need to make the effort to get to places where engines power up. Even a class 70 sounds reasonable on full power, a class 60 even better, and there are a few 56's out there still. No need to mention how great they sound. Also don't forget about the classic fleet which is still just about hanging on - loud, clagging, thrashing 20s, 31s, 37s, 47s and 57s can still be found and heard. Engine noises do not start and end with 66s.
On the more modern side the 92s still sound great when the fans are roaring on full tap. Also don't forget the Paxman VP185 engined HSTs on the Midland Mainline. Its not all MTU just yet.
If you can't find the engine noises you want on the railway then I suggest you try the airfield, large air plane engines can sound impressive.
It has always been about the engines - horns will never be a substitute as far as I'm concerned!

Last edited:

Class 92

Well I would prefer to get horns then nothing at all. Although I do agree engines sound better.

rogger13

I had no idea this strand of the hobby excisted.........and whats with the strange hand signs mentioned earlier.....?

I reckon the OP should fill all of us horn virgins in on this one.....

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
The hand pumping is what the really stupid people do. I see no problem with wanting tones without having to ask for them. Those that appear to have an orgasm when the driver has to blow the horn for safety reasons because they are acting foolish, are those that give rail enthusiasts a bad name.

Status
Not open for further replies.