• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best ticket combination for my journey?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trainfan344

Established Member
I'm looking at travelling from Doncaster to Sheffield, then Sheffield to Leeds before returning to Doncaster.

I wish to stop in Sheffield and explore the tram system before continuing to Leeds.

I am traveling on my own and gave a 26-30 Railcard.

What's the best ticket(s) for my journey?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Is the proposed trip all on the same day?

Will you be travelling during off peak or peak hours? (These can vary).

During the week, or at the weekend?

Do you want flexible tickets, or would advance (train specific) tickets be acceptable?

Trainfan344

Established Member
All taking place on a Friday Afteroon/evening, flexible tickets as unsure on my exact timings yet

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
It's a difficult one - if you were starting in Sheffield, going up to Leeds, then down to Doncaster and back to Leeds, it would be simple as you could just buy a simple return to Leeds and that would cover everything. Unfortunately, you can't do that given you're starting in Doncaster, since you must use outward and return portions in the correct order (i.e. you can't use an outward portion after you have started using the return portion).

Buying an Advance ticket on the day from Doncaster to Sheffield (once you know which train you want to catch) and then a return from Sheffield to Leeds, may be the cheapest option. They tend to be available for quite low prices if you're happy to use a Northern service.

On the other hand, if you're happy to also use Northern services from Sheffield to Leeds and Leeds to Doncaster, you could even use Advance tickets for all three legs. Again, these tend to be available at reasonable prices even on the day, so it's not imperative to plan ahead.

Kite159

Veteran Member
If you weren't travelling in the peak then maybe a combination of a South Yorkshire day ranger (whatever it's called these days) and a West Yorkshire daysaver. Although would limit you to using stopping services (as I believe the South Yorkshire ticket can't be used for a nonstop split as part of the T&Cs unless that's changed).

Would have the benefit of including tram travel in Sheffield but the West Yorkshire one at least can't be used in the evening 'peak'.

Haywain

Veteran Member
It's possible that a 1 Day SY Connect ticket may go some way to meeting your needs, with appropriate add-on ticket(s), noting that you can't use a non-stop split.

Veteran Member
Buying an Advance ticket on the day from Doncaster to Sheffield (once you know which train you want to catch) and then a return from Sheffield to Leeds, may be the cheapest option. They tend to be available for quite low prices if you're happy to use a Northern service.
Bear in mind that the cheaper return fares SHF-LDS are routed NOT DONCASTER so you'd have to try for an excess for the return.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Bear in mind that the cheaper return fares SHF-LDS are routed NOT DONCASTER so you'd have to try for an excess for the return.
Indeed, though this can be paid on the train without penalty, if the OP can't (or would prefer not to) obtain the excess at a ticket office.

Status
Not open for further replies.