Best tips/advice on MMI anyone???

Discussion in 'Railway Jobs & Careers' started by Jaytrains, 9 Jul 2019.

1. Quin79

Quin79 Member

Thanks. Is the SJT the M7 one the OPC use? If so I've passed this with another TOC so hope will not have to do again

2. strangemonk

strangemonk Member

No is different it's not pass fail it's for generating a personalty in how you would react in scenarios.

3. Quin79

Quin79 Member

Nice one. Thanks for the heads up

4. Peeler

Peeler Member

What is your current role? Sounds very similar!

5. Daz1310

Daz1310 Member

I'm a engineer In transport industry so really different. Health and safety side I under stand well just not sure on the similar to a train driver question

6. Peeler

Peeler Member

Tough one as there are not many roles which are exactly the same because train driving is unique but on first thought I would imagine there would be a lot of cross over competences. Perhaps you just didn’t sell them clearly? Hope you get another shot soon!

7. Daz1310

Daz1310 Member

If I was to say when I used to travel far in my previous job I understand the fact of saying harards weather and so on

But when they ask how did you keep concentration?? What can I say?? What do they want to hear? I'm guessing loud music windows open isn't the correct answers

8. GG96LFC

GG96LFC Member

In my MMI I just said I maintained concentration by scanning the road ahead, preparing myself for any accidents, and looking out for road signs, road markings and overhead gantries on the motorway

9. Daz1310

Daz1310 Member

Ok brilliant gives me a start point to work off thank you GG

10. Peeler

Peeler Member

As GG says.But remember it has to be the truth they will catch people out quite easily and apparently if they have any doubt of confidence in your answer they’ll fail.

You probably do a lot of things in your job to maintain your concentration without realising it! Especially as you work shifts.

11. GG96LFC

GG96LFC Member

No problem friend, feel free to message me if you have any questions

12. S-Car-Go

S-Car-Go Member

As others have posted, I used my MMI lone-working example from when I used to drive in on early shifts to Waterloo. So *safety* should be at the top of your list.

Prepare in advance. Get a good night's sleep. Set the alarm to have adequate time to get up, shower, dress, prep work lunchbox etc. so you don't rush, to reduce stress. Leave enough time to drive the route, within the speed limit and prevailing conditions. Safety again, advance prep again. To maintain concentration, start saying out loud your actions, or directions, and repeat back what the satnav says.

Avoid 'I sink a family bucket of triple shot frappadabbacappucino to keep my eyes open on the M1' :smile:

13. Quin79

Quin79 Member

If I get that far I'm planning on using a surveillance operation where lone working in back of a van gathering and securing evidence as mine. Obviously concentration is covered, preparation re food, a spare empty bottle if get caught short , rest, good night's sleep, no alcohol night before, maintaining operational updates via radio. Other than that will probably struggle and same as most would be left with a long journey

14. Daz1310

Daz1310 Member

S-car-go thanks for all the info really good stuff to

15. strangemonk

strangemonk Member

It's describe a task or role you've undertaken that is similar to a task within the train driver role so it dosent have to be 100% the same.

Do you fault find when operating machinery,
    Do you do monotonous work over and over needing to maintain high levels of concentration
    Do you need to be aware of risks and be proactive in pursuing them and taking action

16. Daz1310

Daz1310 Member

Hi what sort of answers would the examiner be looking for... describe a time when you have been on a training course over 2 weeks?

I understand the STAR method, explaining what I done, what it was, what my result was. But what key words would help me. I'm looking at using my 3 year apprenticeship as an example on day release

17. Stigy

Stigy Established Member

Not specific to your question in terms of a course you’ve attended for a long period of time (I wasn’t asked that at MMI); I’m not sure exactly what they scoring process is, but I’d imagine they’re looking for words to describe safety, confidence, perseverance, calmness and levelheadedness.

18. Jaytrains

Jaytrains Member

Is the DMI straight after the MMI ? Or on a different day?

19. GG96LFC

GG96LFC Member

Depends on the company. I once applied to a company who did both on the same day. I’ve also applied to a company who did MMI, then DMI exactly a week later

20. Andi-H27

Andi-H27 Member

Do lots and lots of prep on possible questions but also be prepared for the interviewer to try to lead you away from any of the 6 questions! You have to think fast on your feet and be ready to give additional / alternative answers with different situations. I had an answer written down for "What have you done that's like driving a train" but she didn't want to talk about my answer she wanted something else and said it could even be a hypothetical answer what I thought was like driving a train!