best type of glue ?

Discussion in 'Modelling, Simulations & Games' started by jgwilliams2009, 27 Mar 2018.

1. jgwilliams2009

jgwilliams2009 Member

I have a requirement to glue down a flock of modelscenes sheep on to a field,i have already finished the field complete with static grass etc.
    What would be the best glue to use PVA,Scenic cement etc any suggestions or has anybody any experience.
    cheers

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. plarailfan

plarailfan Member

I've built many compact exhibition layouts over four decades and always used Evo-stik PVA wood glue (interior in the green bottle / not exterior in the blue bottle) this glue can be released by adding water at a later time if you need to remove the sheep from the layout to put on another one.
    Superglue liquid or gel gives the best bond if the sheep can be a permanent fixture. I fix everything to the wooden baseboard with PVA, plastic buildings and the lot, but it's not a strong bond unless its more wood, such as a balsa wood station platform, then it's almost impossible to seperate them ! but to be honest, using PVA on plastic, means some things have fallen off from time to time while setting up, or packing away after the show.

4. jgwilliams2009

jgwilliams2009 Member

It is to be used on an exhibition layout.To be exact ,the model i am building is a tunnel to disguise the entrance to the fiddle yard and is independent and stand alone from the boards.
    Q1 Am i correct in thinking that the green PVA wood glue dries clear and is difficult to distinguish once it has set.
    Q2 Would using PVA be an issue on static grass. ie would it clog and spoil the effect of the static grass

I'd rather ask these questions first having spent many enjoyable hours building it and then go and spoil it at the last minute by using the wrong adhesive.
    cheers

5. plarailfan

plarailfan Member

Yes, the glue is clear when it dries and the grass that I use, are scatter, made by Javis and Woodland Scenics, while the sheets of grass, made by Noch, are brilliant ! There's a static grass video on you tube, (not one of mine) which you may find helpful

6. jgwilliams2009

jgwilliams2009 Member

I took the plunge and stuck the sheep down with superglue from Boyes, vitalbond CA thick dries clear and my sheep are going nowhere.
    cheers for the advice

7. plarailfan

plarailfan Member

You're welcome buddy :)