• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best view from a station platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

W230

Established Member
I quite like that.
I really like it. Yes it's industrial but it's still interesting.

Mintona said:
I like the view from Nunhead.
Also a very good view of London and probably a far less common place to be sightseeing. :lol:

asylumxl said:
I also see it every day, so that probably doesn't help matters.
That's the problem for the commuters out there! ;)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nag67

I would suggest Montrose, looking west at about sunset, over the mudflats of the Basin with the tide out.

At this time of year, it is accompanied by the sight and sound of migrating geese.

Gathursty

Established Member
You may giggle but I actually like East Midlands Parkway's scenery. The power plant is very imposing!

fowler9

Established Member
You may giggle but I actually like East Midlands Parkway's scenery. The power plant is very imposing!

Nothing wrong with that. I remember the first time I got a train from Middlesbrough out to Redcar and I was very impressed with the industrial landscape.

Buttsy

Established Member
Nothing wrong with that. I remember the first time I got a train from Middlesbrough out to Redcar and I was very impressed with the industrial landscape.

The industrial landscape around the Tees at night was Ridley Scott's inspiration for the start of Blade Runner. Ridley is a smog-monster, so not surprising really.

fowler9

Established Member
The industrial landscape around the Tees at night was Ridley Scott's inspiration for the start of Blade Runner. Ridley is a smog-monster, so not surprising really.

I thought I had read that somewhere before, as you say Ridley Scott is from around that way so I can understand the inspiration. I used to love coming home from days out with the family around the Weston Point Expressway by Runcorn after dark. That ICI plant is very impressive.

W230

Established Member
As you power on through the list of British stations, which is your favourite (for the view not the pies)? ;)

fowler9

Established Member
I quite like Corrour. Its been in a film as well! Well, just down the footpath was in the film Trainspotting.

Gathursty

Established Member
As you power on through the list of British stations, which is your favourite (for the view not the pies)? ;)

Bear in mind I've not yet gone beyond the M3-M25-M4-River Thames line, my opinion may change as time goes by but my favourite view is from Achnasheen or from a couple of metres from the station, Barrow Haven (for the Humber Bridge).

bAzTNM

I must be the only one that likes the view from Platform 1 of Crosshill Station in Glasgow. Lovely.

Bowling is another one.

ANDYS

My favourites:-
1. Edale or Bamford on the Hope Valley Line. Stunning views and, in the case of Edale, right next door to a decent pub.
2. Lelant, Carbis Bay and St.Ives on the branch line from St.Erth. Beautiful whatever the weather and time of year.

Andy S

RichmondCommu

Established Member
My favourites:-
1. Edale or Bamford on the Hope Valley Line. Stunning views and, in the case of Edale, right next door to a decent pub.
Andy S

I concur but the pub up the lane (the Nags Head) is much nicer. Spot on when you come off Kinder having run out of water.

gnolife

Established Member
I think Knaresborough is a pretty good one, if you stand at the Leeds end of the York Platform, looking towards Leeds.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Wemyss Bay (or any of the Clyde coastal stations).
Oban (view across to Mull).
Whitby.
Any of the Cambrian coastal stations (views across to the Lleyn peninsula).
Colwyn Bay had a good view until BR bricked off the northern platform.
Sheffield is pretty good too.

Warrington Bank Quay has a fantastic industrial view westwards and that je ne sais quoi aroma of expensive cosmetics (ie soap ;)).

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I was quite impressed by Blaenau Ffestiniog when I was there earlier in the year, quite a unique landscape. When it comes to urban landscapes I quite liked Battersea Park, and for pure railway views I think Clapham Junction takes some beating. I've also got to agree about Blackfriars - though it was freezing cold over the river when I was there last December.

davetheguard

Established Member
Clearly I have been missing something for all these years. Whereabouts should I be standing to take in the view?

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has not been able to see the view from inside a cutting.....

However, the view of trains is not bad; I particularly like seeing them from inside the Sheffield Tap pub!

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Clearly I have been missing something for all these years. Whereabouts should I be standing to take in the view?

I just think the sandstone frontage is splendid, plus all that cascading water.
Much better than most grimy forecourts.
And better than, say, Leeds, despite all the money spent there.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Dovey Junction is impressive I think. Just an example from Geograph:

1043049_ceaa9d91.jpg

Enjoyed this quote too:
When I told the train conductor that I wished to get off at Dovey Junction, his response was "Are you sure?".

SemaphoreSam

Every time I pass through (as a tourist), I try to stop for up to an hour at Durham...beautiful setting overlooking the city and the viaduct, with the park area rising above the station with even more spectacular views. Sam

davetheguard

Established Member
Rannoch?

Attachments

• 16. Rannoch. 08.43 to Glasgow Queen Street.jpg
    16. Rannoch. 08.43 to Glasgow Queen Street.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 80
  • 18. 06.03 Mallaig to Glasgow leaves Rannoch.jpg
    18. 06.03 Mallaig to Glasgow leaves Rannoch.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 81

Gathursty

Established Member
From the south east and London, I'd say that Cooden Beach, Swale, Amberley and Barnes Bridge come out on top.

nowananorack

Attachments

• IMG_0464.jpg
    IMG_0464.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_2924.jpg
    IMG_2924.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 64

Strathclyder

Established Member
A few of my favorites:
Dalmuir: The Anniesland platforms offer good, distant views looking in the direction of Singer.
Maxwell Park: A downsized version of Gleneages in the suburbs of Glasgow. Also has some splendid tenements in full view.
Kennishead: This might not appeal to everyone, but the sight of five 22 story tower blocks looming over the station never fails to impose.
Glasgow Central: Platform 11 is the best vantage point to watch the comings & goings, of which there is no shortage. The architecture is a definite bonus.
Corrour: Need anything be said?
Dalmany: Spectacular views of the Forth Rail Bridge make this one a winner in my book.
That's all for now.

Last edited:

fowler9

Established Member
A few of my favorites:
Dalmuir: The Anniesland platforms offer good, distant views looking in the direction of Singer.
Maxwell Park: A downsized version of Gleneages in the suburbs of Glasgow. Also has some splendid tenements in full view.
Kennishead: This might not appeal to everyone, but the sight of five 22 story tower blocks looming over the station never fails to impose.
Glasgow Central: Platform 11 is the best vantage point to watch the comings & goings, of which there is no shortage. The architecture is a definite bonus.
Corrour: Need anything be said?
Dalmany: Spectacular views of the Forth Rail Bridge make this one a winner in my book.
That's all for now.

Corrour is ace, and surely not many people change trains there, or maybe they do like I did back in the day. Ha ha.

Status
Not open for further replies.