• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best way of getting from Stockport to Leeds during North TPE engineering works.

northwichcat

Veteran Member
A bright spark at my company booked a training session in Leeds w/c 22 April. It seems there's no North TPE services from Piccadilly to Leeds that week. While even Victoria has a limited North TPE service with services being diverted. I'm presuming Northern's Calder Valley services will be busier than normal.

I'm wondering if the best option would be Stockport to Sheffield and Sheffield to Leeds on separate tickets?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
The section actually affected is between Ravensthorpe and Leeds via Dewsbury meaning that the actual diversion doesn't add that much time to the journey. Travelling via Sheffield can offer competitive journey times but is somewhat more expensive. Unfortunately there will be no TPE service via the Ordsall Chord meaning that crossing Manchester city centre will not be included in the ticket price unless splitting at Stalybridge is worthwhile (I haven't checked). As for capacity my own previous experience of peak hour travel during a planned weekday diversion on TPE North suggests it will not be an issue. YMMV of course.

class 9

There's 2 TPEs a hour from Vic taking just over an hour, the Saltburn services start there, so you'd probably OK getting a seat.
Via Sheffield takes around 2 hours providing you make the 12 min connection with XC.
I'd go via Vic.

northwichcat

Veteran Member
The section actually affected is between Ravensthorpe and Leeds via Dewsbury meaning that the actual diversion doesn't add that much time to the journey.

I noticed Saltburn services are showing as going via Wakefield with the Huddersfield to Leeds journey time being 35 minutes https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:G62361/2024-04-23/detailed

It might be less than 15 minutes additional, but combined with the cross-Manchester additional time it does add quite a bit to the total journey time.

There's 2 TPEs a hour from Vic taking just over an hour, the Saltburn services start there, so you'd probably OK getting a seat.

I will also be travelling back from Leeds. I've experienced even the new 5 car trains departing Leeds in the evening with a large number of standing passengers.

Via Sheffield takes around 2 hours providing you make the 12 min connection with XC.
I'd go via Vic.

I make it 1 hour 50 via Sheffield.

To get into Victoria for the Saltburn train (that leaves just before or on the hour), I would need to get the 10:36 Metrolink service from Piccadilly to Victoria (or start walking at a similar time). That means catching quarter past Northern service from Stockport to Piccadilly. So a 09:15 departure from Stockport would result in a 11:07 arrival in Leeds. That's how bad it is!

class 9

I noticed Saltburn services are showing as going via Wakefield with the Huddersfield to Leeds journey time being 35 minutes https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:G62361/2024-04-23/detailed

It might be less than 15 minutes additional, but combined with the cross-Manchester additional time it does add quite a bit to the total journey time.

I will also be travelling back from Leeds. I've experienced even the new 5 car trains departing Leeds in the evening with a large number of standing passengers.

I make it 1 hour 50 via Sheffield.

To get into Victoria for the Saltburn train (that leaves just before or on the hour), I would need to get the 10:36 Metrolink service from Piccadilly to Victoria (or start walking at a similar time). That means catching quarter past Northern service from Stockport to Piccadilly. So a 09:15 departure from Stockport would result in a 11:07 arrival in Leeds. That's how bad it is!
Was reading the post without my glasses, missed the Stockport bit!! My bad.
I'd go via Sheffield eg 0724 to Sheff, change onto XC arrive Leeds 0903.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
A bright spark at my company booked a training session in Leeds w/c 22 April. It seems there's no North TPE services from Piccadilly to Leeds that week. While even Victoria has a limited North TPE service with services being diverted. I'm presuming Northern's Calder Valley services will be busier than normal.

I'm wondering if the best option would be Stockport to Sheffield and Sheffield to Leeds on separate tickets?
Have you tried our ticketing website? You can specify advanced options for any journey preferences you may have. We will identify an appropriate combination of tickets.

Yes, Northern's Calder Valley services will no doubt be busier than normal. However, I found the TPE services between Victoria & Leeds were not as busy as I thought they might be (0750 from York and 1733 from Man Vic).

northwichcat

Veteran Member
I'm not too bothered about via Sheffield costing more.

I suppose any TPE service should have seat reservations available, but the Northern services won't. I have always found westbound TPE services leaving Leeds in the evening peak are the worst.