• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best way to do London - Liverpool - Manchester triangle

Status
Not open for further replies.

cookie365

Hello, a friend wants to go from London to Liverpool, then to Manchester, then back to London.

Or possibly the other way round.

She needs flexible tickets so no Advances.

Since Manchester isn't a permitted route for London to Liverpool any more, what's the 'best' way to do that?

I know both Lon-Liv and Lon-Man are valid via Warrington, so I assume she can get Lon-Liv plus War-Man (or Lon-Man plus War-Liv)?

I also see that Lon-Liv is valid via maps NR+RM+RG so could she buy that plus a single from Stockport to Crewe to fill in the gap and create an extra connection between NR and RM on the return journey? I'm not sure if you're generally allowed to do that.

Or is there some third option I've missed?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Romilly

Established Member
An £83.90 offpeak return from London to St Helens Junction might be the answer. It's valid via Liverpool and via Manchester (according to National Rail Enquiries and Virgin Trains East Coast).

That ticket would cover London-Liverpool, SHJ to Manchester, and Manchester to London (or London-Manchester, SHJ to Liverpool, and Liverpool to London) as there is no restriction on break of journey once one is on the return portion of the ticket.

Whether it also covers Liverpool-SHJ (or Manchester-SHJ) depends on whether that leg is done on the same day as the leg down from London. If done on the same day (or on the next day and it wasn't possible to complete the journey to SHJ on the first day) then it is covered. Otherwise, a single will be needed.

NB the journey between Liverpool and Manchester would have to go via SHJ. And, obviously, there are time restrictions as it's an offpeak ticket.

Last edited:

cookie365

An £83.90 offpeak return from London to St Helens Junction might be the answer. It's valid via Liverpool and via Manchester (according to National Rail Enquiries and Virgin Trains East Coast).

That ticket would cover London-Liverpool, SHJ to Manchester, and Manchester to London (or London-Manchester, SHJ to Liverpool, and Liverpool to London) as there is no restriction on break of journey once one is on the return portion of the ticket.

Whether it also covers Liverpool-SHJ (or Manchester-SHJ) depends on whether that leg is done on the same day as the leg down from London. If done on the same day (or on the next day and it wasn't possible to complete the journey to SHJ on the first day) then it is covered. Otherwise, a single will be needed.

NB the journey between Liverpool and Manchester would have to go via SHJ. And, obviously, there are time restrictions as it's an offpeak ticket.

That could be the perfect answer @Romilly , thank you :)

I never realised St Helens was valid via Manchester but it does look like it is through the Earlstown routing point and NRE prices it the same via Piccadilly or not, good spot :)

She didn't say how long she'd be in Liverpool for but even so a single from Lime St to St Helens should be cheap enough.

When I know when she's doing the middle leg I'll get her a list of trains she can take that'll avoid both Warrington and Victoria :)

Edit: Looks like Saint Helens - Victoria - Piccadilly - Euston is valid too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.