• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best way to get to Manchester Oxford Rd from Chester - WCML work

Status
Not open for further replies.

leejayd

I need to get to Manchester Oxford Road by 9:30 for the 2 weeks the WCML work is going on at Acton Grange Junction. The best I've heard from station staff is getting a bus from Chester to Newton-le-Willows but i do not fancy this (Warrington is a nightmare during peak time). Note, I plan on getting an all routes Manchester season ticket. Hence in theory I can go via Crewe into Piccadilly and get the bus to Oxford Road. This is the best I can come up with. Are there any other options other than getting the bus. I can also get a car for the 2 weeks and drive to an intermediate station.

Here's the NR page listing the work https://www.networkrail.co.uk/runni...s/london-north-western/acton-grange-junction/

Would appreciate any ideas. Driving to Manchester is not an option.

Best

Lee

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

leejayd

I think the best is 7:35 Chester to Crewe - Manchester Picc - Manchester Oxford Road.

Should work okay. Not so lucky for passengers going to other stations like Warrington.

Last edited:

kieron

Established Member
For your return, the options seem to be via Crewe or Northwich (as mentioned), or via Liverpool South Parkway and Runcorn. Choosing tickets for the last option may be a bit awkward.

Depending on where you're starting from, driving to Widnes and getting a train from there may be quicker. There's an 8:15 train from there which reaches Manchester at 9:03.

Status
Not open for further replies.