• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best Websites for planning international trips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moonshot

Established Member
Looking for suggestions as I am planning some trips overland in Europe.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Chris999999

Seat61 is the obvious starting place, particularly for trips starting from the UK.

For inter-European countries, you cannot beat DB (German Railways) timetable for reliable information.

You do however need a European Railway Timetable. There is now an online version available, but in my experience researching interesting and alternative itineries you cannot beat the paper version, where you can turn forward and back, and investigate all sorts of options and stop offs.

Veteran Member
you cannot beat DB (German Railways) timetable for reliable information.

Except that changes during the timetable period, especially due to engineering work, are not always incorporated. Always double check with a national website AND at the last minute! Even in Germany engineering works are often added at a late stage....

Last edited:

fowler9

Established Member
The Lonely Planet Thorntree Forum, sadly not as good as it once was. Hostelworld is a good site for cheap accommodation.

NSE

Established Member
I agree with seat61. Never used it for Europe mind, but its Asia advice was wonderful.

I personally find that PDF timetables online are the best and easiest way to plan journeys across Europe. If you look carefully they are available for pretty much all companies throughout Europe.

Gordon

Except that changes during the timetable period, especially due to engineering work, are not always incorporated.

I think it's a bit of a red herring to devalue the 'power' of the Bahn.de German Railway (aka hafas) web timetable search engine, especially at this (presumably early) stage in the OP's planning process.

The Bahn.de site famously includes some outlandish station destinations, and for Germany, Switzerland and a few others offers literally house number to house number itineraries)
The OP doesn't give us their location in the UK so I can't offer a bespoke example but I input Garsdale (Settle and Carlisle Line) to Vladivostok (Asian Russia not far from the shores of Japan...

the result:
distance: 12,300 km / 7,600 miles
journey time: 195 hours
6 changes: Leeds, Kings Cross/St Pancras, Brussels, Frankfurt/Main, Berlin, Moscow
types of train: Northern DMU, ECML 91 or HST, Eurostar, Thalys or ICE, EN sleeper, Trans Siberian Express

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.