• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Between West London and Penzance by local bus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samuel88

On Moderation
I have the whole of August off and having not explored the South West I've decided to go on a trip all the way to Lands End by local bus, does anyone have an idea how exactly I could go about this, which routes to take etc? I have a concessionary pass so as long as I travel after 9:30 on weekdays I won't have to pay a penny on travel!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

kernowvectis

I have the whole of August off and having not explored the South West I've decided to go on a trip all the way to Lands End by local bus, does anyone have an idea how exactly I could go about this, which routes to take etc? I have a concessionary pass so as long as o travel after 9:30 on weekdays I won't have to pay a penny on travel!

Apparently in Cornwall you no longer have to wait until 09:30, as I discovered when I was down there a few weeks ago. The concessionary pass is available at all times.

richw

Veteran Member
As above Cornwall council have removed the time restriction for using concession passes so you don’t need to wait until 0930 once you’re here

peterblue

A1 Lands end to Penzance
Tinner Penzance to Truro
27 Truro to Bodmin
11 Bodmin to Plymouth
X38/Falcon Plymouth to Exeter

Then from here you have a few options

If you have time, and want a scenic journey, i'd recommend going via the Jurassic coast (exeter-exmouth, exmouth-sidmouth, sidmouth-lyme regis, lyme regis-poole)

I think you'd probably need about three overnight stays (more depending on if you want to explore too) so prepare for that in your budget even if your bus travel will be free

It's a nice part of the country, I hope you enjoy yourself!

Last edited:

LAIRA

The above takes a day.
Stagecoach 4 to Axminster
First 31 to Dorchester
Then you would have to make up your mind which way to go via Swindon or Southampton

jcrwey

I would recommend the X53 from Weymouth-Axminster via the coast road rather than the X51. A lot more scenic! You could then link up with the X54 to Poole via Lulworth Cove and Durdle Door.

jay38a

Your talking about 9 years ago but i have done Kingston to Newquay in a day but three of the buses i used no longer run and others are split into two:

715 (was 515 at the time) from Kingston to Guildford
65/64 from Guildford to Winchester
68 from Winchester to Salisbury
X12 from Salisbury to Weymouth
X53 from Weymouth to Exeter
510 from Exeter to Newquay.

Unfortunately with all the cuts i think now the limit you can get to is Axminster. As you now require a diversion via Andover between Winchester and Salisbury (unless you get the twice a day college 68 but then you cant get to winchester in time for the morning journey anyway) then the 20 between Salisbury and Blandford only runs 4 times a day and then X53 longer reaches Exeter.

richw

Veteran Member
Your talking about 9 years ago but i have done Kingston to Newquay in a day but three of the buses i used no longer run and others are split into two:

Unfortunately with all the cuts i think now the limit you can get to is Axminster. As you now require a diversion via Andover between Winchester and Salisbury (unless you get the twice a day college 68 but then you cant get to winchester in time for the morning journey anyway) then the 20 between Salisbury and Blandford only runs 4 times a day and then X53 longer reaches Exeter.

X53 only goes as far as Axminster now. Change at Lyme Regis for a Stagecoach 9 to Exeter via Seaton and Sidmouth

embers25

Established Member
A1 Lands end to Penzance
Tinner Penzance to Truro
27 Truro to Bodmin
11 Bodmin to Plymouth
X38/Falcon Plymouth to Exeter

Then from here you have a few options

If you have time, and want a scenic journey, i'd recommend going via the Jurassic coast (exeter-exmouth, exmouth-sidmouth, sidmouth-lyme regis, lyme regis-poole)

I think you'd probably need about three overnight stays (more depending on if you want to explore too) so prepare for that in your budget even if your bus travel will be free

It's a nice part of the country, I hope you enjoy yourself!

Falcon is not free with the pass but the X38 is.

Wirewiper

Just some comments on what would be your route today:

- The X12 still runs between Blandford (Forum) and Weymouth, operated by Damory.
- The X53 now terminates at Axminster (Rail Station). For onward travel to Exeter you can catch Stagecoach 9A at Lyme Regis or Stagecoach 4 at Axminster.
- The 510 no longer operates. Stagecoach now runs a route 6 between Exeter and Bude. At Bude you can switch to First Kernow's 95 to St Columb Road where you can switch to the 21/91/92 to Newquay.
- An alternative from Exeter is Stagecoach X38 to Plymouth, Plymouth CityBus/Go Cornwall Bus 11/11A to Padstow, First Kernow A5 to Newquay.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Just some comments on what would be your route today:

- The X12 still runs between Blandford (Forum) and Weymouth, operated by Damory.
- The X53 now terminates at Axminster (Rail Station). For onward travel to Exeter you can catch Stagecoach 9A at Lyme Regis or Stagecoach 4 at Axminster.
- The 510 no longer operates. Stagecoach now runs a route 6 between Exeter and Bude. At Bude you can switch to First Kernow's 95 to St Columb Road where you can switch to the 21/91/92 to Newquay.
- An alternative from Exeter is Stagecoach X38 to Plymouth, Plymouth CityBus/Go Cornwall Bus 11/11A to Padstow, First Kernow A5 to Newquay.
So, realistically, how far west can you get from Kingston in a day now, starting at 09.30? If it's only Axminster rather than Newquay, it speaks volumes about the decline of bus travel in the last decade.

richw

Veteran Member
An alternative from Exeter is Stagecoach X38 to Plymouth, Plymouth CityBus/Go Cornwall Bus 11/11A to Padstow, First Kernow A5 to Newquay.

You’d get further in a day by going 11A as far as Bodmin, then First Kernow 27 to Truro.
The last A5 is 1735 from padstow

Typhoon

Established Member
So, realistically, how far west can you get from Kingston in a day now, starting at 09.30? If it's only Axminster rather than Newquay, it speaks volumes about the decline of bus travel in the last decade.
I think you are right - particularly for the rural bus. I tried this on Traveline, by including an intermediate destination (direct told not possible), I got as far as Weymouth at 20:27. Route was similar to #7 but involved eight buses (as opposed to 4), largely, as suggested above, as routes have been split up. As I don't have the local knowledge of, say, services that run on certain days, frequencies, direct routes etc, others can probably improve on this but whether you can get to Cornwall, I would suggest is doubtful.

(Route: Kingston - 715 - Guildford - 65 - Alton - 64 - New Alresford - 67 - Winchester - 68 - Salisbury - 20 - Blandford - X8 - Poole - X54 - Weymouth. Seems to be a lot of messing about to get to Winchester, and going 'backwards' to Poole. I have found a version that misses Blandford but time is no better.)

Statto

Established Member
Unless it has changed recently Falcon is free Plymouth - Cullompton and Taunton - Bristol.

Going by the Falcon website, it's not free, you get a discount though.

Below you can find ticket prices for various Falcon routes, with our discounted rates available to concessionary pass holders, people under 25 and those aged 60 or above. And don't forget, if you're travelling in a group you're likely to benefit from our group return tickets! Groups of up to 5 people can travel together for just twice the price of a regular adult return ticket.

https://www.stagecoachbus.com/promos-and-offers/south-west/south-west-falcon

Status
Not open for further replies.