• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bi-modes and half done electrification.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
An opinion I have about electric trains going beyond the wires is this. If the non-electrified end of a route is not electrified then it will get electrfied at some point later. The point at which it gets electrified is a combination of when it becomes cost effective (fuel prices), when demand grows (as more people use the service through from the electrified end or local services start cluttering the route up) and/or when new stock is required. If these factors don't come into play then the inferior performance of an electric train being dragged by a diesel does not matter - yet.

An example of this is Edinburgh to Inverness/Aberdeen. I would prefer to see a 67 (or pairs) waiting for the 91+Mk4s at Edinburgh to take them on to Aberdeen or Inverness. When the lines become busy enough and cluttered with stopping services to say Dundee then that gets electrified from Edinburgh and the 67s live at Dundee. Same for Perth on the way to Inverness.

I do feel that Cardiff to Swansea is short enough to warrant not bothering with a half done electrification and should get done as part of GWML. But perhaps something like Paddington-Worcester could continue with limited stop lumbering diesels to Oxfrd that have electrics keeping out of their way on the stopping/semi-fast services to Oxford. For Swansea the problem is the capacity beyond Cardiff seems to already be stretched by local services.

My same argument goes for NE-SW. Once the Midland main line is electrified then Doncaster/York to the MML is an infill or TPE gets there first. Then Derby past Birmingham to the bottom of the Lickey is an infill. Then Bi-modes in the form of Voyagers with pantograph coaches become tempting. These Bi-mode voyagers might have come second hand from say Paddington-Worcester (or Paddington-Swansea).

I feel that we could have a load of ADAPTED trains for bi-mode not new trains. These dont have to have a long service life on the route they first get used on (I wish !). Once one route gets electrified in its entirety they can move on to the next half done route in the hierarchy. Candidates are Edinburgh - north, Cardiff - west (though I hate that), Oxford -west, NE-SW (Yorkshire, Midlands, Severn vale, beyond Bristol), Bristol - southwest, Birmingham-Bristol.

I dont see why we should build brand new bi-mode trains for what I hope is a limited life. Instead build new purpose built electric trains for new electric routes and use the older stock for bi-mode jobs. If a route deserves better than second hand Mk4s+67s or adapted Voyagers then why is it not getting electrified already ?. We do need to electrifiy enough routes to warrant new electric trains and then cascede. An example is the Midland main line - the Voyagers for example can become bi-mode, thats plenty of them.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Oswyntail

Established Member
For myself, the important element - that has been missing largely to date - is a co-ordinated programme. Electrify your trunk, followed by feeders and in-fills, but recognising that a piece of work in one area may have an effect on provision in another apparently quite distant. Keep the programme rolling, to maintain, retain and develop a skilled workforce, even if that means putting up the wires before electric stock becomes available. Plan the introduction of stock, so that, rather than have several incompatible small fleets, we have a massive order for standard types that can be built over many years.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Well Oswyntail that was well put. It is the lack of a longterm co-ordinated plans that has got us where we are now. There was a hope of a rolling program of electrifiction following on from the ECML. You're right - what I am saying relies on some sort of continuity AFTER GWML electrification. Maybe thats TPE ?, but what next.

Instead of going for long term economies we, in the UK, seem to go for short term cost savings. We have only just got HS1 but Italy, Germany and France each built more new lines last century than we can dream of in this century. We have p*c*rs they dont (I know the excuse was they kept lines open but how many equivalent lines got closed in those countries ?, lame excuse).

We can only hope.

starrymarkb

Established Member
The french did have pacer like basic railcars I believe the Germans still do.

In France a lot of branches have lost their rail service - replaced with an SNCF Bus - Morlaix to Roscoff is now a 2 hourly bus. Others have a very limited service - 2 trains per day in some cases!

But I agree that more knitting is needed. Bi Mode can work for regional units, I can't see Bi-Mode Voyagers doing on the move changes anytime soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.