• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bicester London Road Level Crossing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andyjs247

Some of the issues surrounding this crossing have been discussed elsewhere. However I have started a new thread for the latest updates as it is outside of the scope of the East West Rail Phase 2 and current consultations. Equally it didn't seem appropriate for the previous thread. EWR2 covers the works beyond Bicester Gavray Junction and the route towards Bletchley, MK and Bedford as well as the line from Aylesbury. London Road crossing is not a part of this - ideally a solution should have been found as part of Phase 1 which has linked Oxford with Marylebone and is now complete. But we are where we are.

Three and a half years ago, before the line closed for rebuilding, there were no more than 10 freight trains a week through Bicester Town. Drivers would have been unlucky to be stuck at the level crossing. Soon - hopefully by about 2022 - there will be 10 or even 12 trains each hour. Experience of the current 4-trains-an-hour confirms the barriers are often closed for about 15 minutes in every hour. But when the line to Bletchley opens the crossing will be closed for longer, up to 39 minutes each hour. That’s according to a study by Network Rail and the highways authority i.e. Oxfordshire County Council (OCC). In all 37 level crossings were closed between Bicester and Oxford. London Road crossing could then be the only one remaining between Oxford and Bletchley.

OCC had said again in November that there were no plans to close the crossing permanently. (There was local uproar when a map was published suggesting the crossing would close by 2019 without an alternative route into town). Yet they are still looking at various options for a tunnel or bridge and, subject to funding, the hope is to get a solution in place before the line opens through to Cambridge i.e. about 2030 or so. I don't think anyone wants the road and crossing to be closed without a suitable alternative in place though.

Local councillors have been having private discussions with NR as the present level crossing is not really satisfactory - there have been several crossing failures recently adding to the delays and problems locally. There is pressure for a solution as the gridlock is only going to get worse. Bicester is growing rapidly - there's plans in the pipeline for 3700 homes south of the railway by 2031.

A report earlier this year outlined some options and makes interesting reading. It can be downloaded from OCC's website here.

An underpass seems to be the favourite although not the cheapest option. According to the report, estimates for anticipated final costs vary between £61 million and £65 million for the underpass options. An overbridge option - which has not been significantly developed could cost up to approximately £44 million. The next step depends on what money will be made available. Though "Do nothing" is not really an option, I know there are no easy solutions.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John Webb

Established Member
I assume that the barriers have to be brought down as an Oxford-London train is coming into the adjacent station in case of an over-run?
I also assume that A41 traffic is considered too busy to divert the B4100 traffic via that and Oxford Road?
But looking at maps, there doesn't seem to be much room for an alternative to the crossing, either under or over!

John Webb

Andyjs247

I assume that the barriers have to be brought down as an Oxford-London train is coming into the adjacent station in case of an over-run?[\quote]
No. A London-bound train will normally run in with the barriers up. The platform is set back some way from the crossing and the closure sequence begins almost as soon as the train has come to a stand. The typical delay to road users is maybe 2.5-3 minutes vs 4.5-5 minutes with an Oxford-bound train.

I also assume that A41 traffic is considered too busy to divert the B4100 traffic via that and Oxford Road?
It is very busy already. It doesn't really cope if the crossing is closed for any length of time but, more importantly, also represents quite a detour.

But looking at maps, there doesn't seem to be much room for an alternative to the crossing, either under or over!

John Webb
Yes, that's the exact problem - hence the current price tag!

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
A number of potential options for level crossing closure were also shown in the Chiltern Evergreen 3 statements of case for the TWA Order.

I suspect their main aim was to highlight the difficulty involved and make sure it wasn't required for their project, but the drawings are there anyway.

Will try and find a link to it, but am finding the links are no longer valid. Unfortunately the pdf is 105 Mb so I cannot attach it...

Last edited:

Muzer

Established Member
I assume that the barriers have to be brought down as an Oxford-London train is coming into the adjacent station in case of an over-run?

John Webb
Because of Historical Reasons (mostly, I believe, the sheer number of stations with adjacent LCs), level crossings are not counted when considering signal overlaps.

mr_jrt

Established Member
A number of potential options for level crossing closure were also shown in the Chiltern Evergreen 3 statements of case for the TWA Order.

I suspect their main aim was to highlight the difficulty involved and make sure it wasn't required for their project, but the drawings are there anyway.

Will try and find a link to it, but am finding the links are no longer valid. Unfortunately the pdf is 105 Mb so I cannot attach it...

Have you tried archive.org? What is the filename of the pdf?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

snowball

Established Member

Andyjs247

I remember the monster PDFs and downloading them at the time. Essentially other options were seen as 'too difficult/expensive' and the decision at the time (not unreasonable IMO) to keep the crossing open to road traffic was acceptable. That was of course before the prospect of EWR and extra trains that will bring.

From the Oxford Mail today...

Bridge or tunnel needed to solve looming level crossing problems

A CALL has gone out to rail bosses to find a solution to a busy Bicester level crossing as part of the multi-million pound East West Rail project.

Council chiefs have asked for a bridge or tunnel to be considered in order to allow cars, cyclists and pedestrians to bypass the London Road level crossing.

The plea came as part of Oxfordshire County Council's response to the latest consultation on plans for upgrading and connecting the railway from Oxford through to Milton Keynes and Cambridge.

The response, to be formally approved by the council's cabinet next week, said current 'barrier down' times at the London Road crossing are about 14 minutes each hour, which includes two trains in each direction.

This 'down time' is expected to roughly double as barriers are expected to be down between 30 and 34 minutes an hour with the introduction of the core East West Rail (EWR) service of an additional four trains in each direction.

The trains could start running in the early 2020s once phase two is complete.

More frequent trains could run once future phases are complete, which would mean the barriers being down for even longer.

The council wants rail bosses to commit to finding a solution for the crossing before this happens.

County council leader, Ian Hudspeth, said: “It’s crucial we find a solution when it comes to London Road crossing or half of Bicester will be cut off.

“The crossing could be down for as much time as it is up – we need a solution to it.”

The council response said the EWR project is 'contingent upon a solution for London Road level crossing being approved and funded.'

It added that because crossing improvements in London Road are not part of the scope of phase two, they are unlikely to happen until the mid to late 2020s.

Oxfordshire county councillor for Bicester West Les Sibley said: "With all the development going on in the area it is a vital route into the town and every minute those barriers are down increases the pressure on Bicester's road network.

"So it is good news in regards to the barrier down time, which they seem to have made some small improvements to from what was previously predicted.

"It raises the question of freight trains and whether that will cause longer down times.

"It is good news short term but again just leaves us in a cloud of uncertainty.

"It is a critical through road and we need to make the right decision and make it soon."

The council response is part of the latest consultation being staged by Network Rail on plans for the western section phase two...

Now with hindsight and the knowledge that EWR will bring extra trains **and** considering the planned extra housing and development locally, I don't think the decision to keep the level crossing would have been acceptable. Again with hindsight you would also want to minimise disruption and cost, e.g. build the tunnel before the line was reopened.

IF we accept that the current situation is not sustainable, what realistically should be done to provide an alternative crossing solution here?

I think one quick win would be to open the existing Bicester Village station footbridge to non-rail users officially. What I envision is something similar to the pedestrian access at Reading or Birmingham New Street. Access would allow new safe walking routes linking Langford Village / Talisman Business Park south of the railway and the town centre or the designer outlet on the north side. (Ideally the walk /cycle route continues to link with Kingsmere, the new Tesco Extra, future business park, and Park&Ride). Ticket barriers currently prevent access to non rail users though.

Although longer than the route into town via London Road, it is shorter / preferable to the alternative footbridge at Tubbs Lane by Gavray Junction when the level crossing is closed. An opportunity missed IMO. But a solution for all road users is what is urgently needed here.

Last edited:

L&Y Robert

Bearing in mind "andyjs247”s points about the reasons for this thread, I think it is the proper place to consider the curious situation that will arise (it already exists) where the Bletchley line crosses the A4421 Bicester NE by-pass, also on a level crossing. The 4421 is quite a 'fast' road, and busy as well, and I can not imagine the road traffic being held up for long minutes four times (four – is that right?) an hour when the line becomes the E-W route to Bletchley, MK etc. At present the road may well be carrying added local traffic avoiding a closed London Road whilst making short trips to other parts of Bicester. A bridge solution here is certainly possible, the site is not so constrained, but the costs would be considerable. I think London Road and A4421 are related problems, and just one part can not be considered in isolation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.