• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Big Stations with no Ticket Barriers

Status
Not open for further replies.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
I would be shocked if there is enough room in there to accommodate enough barriers for the large volumes of passengers that use York. Also, presumably that would mean closing off access to all of the car parks too, which I doubt would be feasible.

Barriering York off would be a major installation, as is evident when revenue exercises are carried out on race days. Gate lines would be needed at royal York ajacent to the York tap and platform 4, sets either side of the old signalbox on 3, next to platform 1 and the south subway, and at the bridge end of platform 11. This would also require additional ticket machines and extensive barrier installations. With 5 gate lines to man staff would also be needed. But seeing how they currently (lack of) man the barriers at darlo and Newcastle would be a complete waste of money and persistent evaders could still exit by walking off end of platform 1/3 and into car park anyway.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Callum

Inverness doesn't have ticket barriers. I was there in September and it was nice to be able to stroll the length of the platforms and have a look at the sheds/works etc in the middle of the "tri-angle"

Status
Not open for further replies.