• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Birmingham Moor Street gate line

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Russel

There was a thread last year (now closed) about the lack of ticket barriers at Birmingham Moor Street (https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/gate-lines-at-marylebone-and-moor-street.248346/post-6212664).

There looks like some activity at the gate line at Moor Street. An area of the concourse has been fenced off. Can I assume this is the planned extension to the gate line work actually starting?

Thanks.

I saw this a few weeks ago and thought the same.

It's long overdue.

TheTallOne

Yes, had the fun of going through moor st this morning, must have been 10+ people in front of me in the queue for a gate, and many queues. More queues than gates, everyone trying to merge.

birchesgreen

Established Member
Yes, had the fun of going through moor st this morning, must have been 10+ people in front of me in the queue for a gate, and many queues. More queues than gates, everyone trying to merge.
Yeah thats quite normal, had that fun last Saturday afternoon. :E

Russel

I brought a Birmingham Stations - Stourbridge return last week from Snow Hill, it was printed on the plain white till roll type of paper with a QR code thing on, on the return journey the barriers at Moor Street wouldn't accept it, so if that's a common problem, then it's no surprise there is gateline issues at Moor Street.

giblets

Yes, the ticket barriers to the left (on the below diagram) are the existing ones, (though they seem to be replacing the wide exit at the top judging by the diagram).

They have inserted the fence (in blue), so awaiting the barriers (along the bottom of the diagrams) to be installed (these will be facing platform 2)

Attachments

• 1684326537000.png
    1684326537000.png
    33 KB · Views: 229

8stewartt

The barriers on P1 at the bottom of the stairs near the main road have been removed and replaced with wooden boxes, so you can currently access the station via the stairs to P1 with no ticket at all. The P2 side is overdue widening, be good to have two sets one as in and one as out to try and seperate the crowds.

giblets

The base of the gates were in Situ yesterday, so hopefully complete soon. That being said, I'm not sure if there is a plan to upgrade the existing gates (i.e open the new gates, then shut and upgrade the older gates) as there seems to be some issues with all the gates having optical readers (unless I missed them installing the extra part already)

BanburyBlue

The base of the gates were in Situ yesterday, so hopefully complete soon. That being said, I'm not sure if there is a plan to upgrade the existing gates (i.e open the new gates, then shut and upgrade the older gates) as there seems to be some issues with all the gates having optical readers (unless I missed them installing the extra part already)

I'm fairly sure that not all the gates have optical readers - not sure what's involved in fitting these though?

barbette165

The barriers on P1 at the bottom of the stairs near the main road have been removed and replaced with wooden boxes, so you can currently access the station via the stairs to P1 with no ticket at all. The P2 side is overdue widening, be good to have two sets one as in and one as out to try and seperate the crowds.
New gates have been installed, although open when I came through this afternoon. The previous 2 wide gates, one for entry and one for exit, have been replaced by 3 gates - two normal width gates, one for entry and one for exit and a bi-directional wide gate.

BanburyBlue

New gates have been installed, although open when I came through this afternoon. The previous 2 wide gates, one for entry and one for exit, have been replaced by 3 gates - two normal width gates, one for entry and one for exit and a bi-directional wide gate.

I’m quite surprised how quickly they are being installe.

giblets

The gates 'appear' to be in and fully installed since the end of last week, not sure what is stopping them opening them up (the surrounding area (railings, pavement etc) also seems complete, maybe its a software thing, and need all the gates sorted first?

Lets see what they do with the old barriers, the diagram posted above insinuates the wider gate in the existing line ( at the top of the 'vertical' set in the image, post #6 above) will be swapped for a narrow gate, and as mentioned they don't all have optical scanners.

That's good news. Now close the street exit barriers on platform 1 and have the exit permanently closed except for loft failure. So many fare dodgers use that exit and when BTP assist it splits their resources too far.

D1537

I mentioned this in another thread, but when I use the train to go to work (once or twice a month) I buy a Coventry-Hawthorns Anytime DR. It is inevitably accepted by the New Street gateline, and inevitably rejected - in both directions - by the Moor Street one.

That's good news. Now close the street exit barriers on platform 1 and have the exit permanently closed except for loft failure. So many fare dodgers use that exit and when BTP assist it splits their resources too far.
I would just turn it into a fire exit from Platform 1. But agree it needs to be closed.

barbette165

I would just turn it into a fire exit from Platform 1. But agree it needs to be closed.
I disagree, the gateline on platf one provides a very convenient entrance when travelling towards Tyseley and the train is due. I think it’s probably a minute quicker from crossing Moor St to the platform than going via the main entrance and overbridge. Once HS2 and Curzon Street is open, it will provide a much quicker interchange in both directions. (a quick play with calcmaps.com suggests that it is about 250 metres from the rear of platform one topassing the platform one entrance on Moor St if going via the main entrance - 250 metres is about 3 to 4 minutes walk)