• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Birmingham to Sheringham W\C 4th Apr

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewolf

Hi all,

Nipping over to Norfolk to do a bit of a reccy ahead of my university fieldwork, however I need a bit of help and advice to get me there.

I'm going from Birmingham down to Sheringham, but also stopping off in Cromer on the way there or back. Wouldn't mind nipping to Great Yarmouth if I had enough time, but thats not vital.

I'd be going at some point during the week starting the 4th April - Probably the 6th.

Want to try and get there as early as possible - although I'm doubtful that won't be very early at all with peak restrictions and whatnot - and would like a good few hours there.

If you could offer some advice on where to split the journey and so on to get the price down, that would be very useful.

Would getting to Ely on XC advances and then using an 'Anglia Plus' day ranger be a reasonable idea?

Also, I have a 16-25 railcard.

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Hi all,

Nipping over to Norfolk to do a bit of a reccy ahead of my university fieldwork, however I need a bit of help and advice to get me there.

I'm going from Birmingham down to Sheringham, but also stopping off in Cromer on the way there or back. Wouldn't mind nipping to Great Yarmouth if I had enough time, but thats not vital.

I'd be going at some point during the week starting the 4th April - Probably the 6th.

Want to try and get there as early as possible - although I'm doubtful that won't be very early at all with peak restrictions and whatnot - and would like a good few hours there.

If you could offer some advice on where to split the journey and so on to get the price down, that would be very useful.

Would getting to Ely on XC advances and then using an 'Anglia Plus' day ranger be a reasonable idea?

Thanks

Try a saver out via Euston (priced by Virgin so no time restrictions on a railcard). You can't leave Liverpool St before 0930, but you'll be in Norwich long before XC.
You can come back either way.

thewolf

I don't seem to get anything of that description come up when I do a search on the LM website.

If I put in going via EUS it comes up with an off-peak return (via London) priced at £56.45, which although getting me there a damn sight earlier, is a fiver more than a Not London off-peak return, which again is much more than advance singles and an Anglia Plus.

Could do with something in the middle really - not silly money (for a poor student, especially) but something with a degree of flexibility at least...

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
The point is you can go via Euston anytime on Virgin, but you are limited to after 0930 on XC, or pay a lot more to travel earlier.
Another possibility via London is a cheap advance from Liverpool St.
I see there are £5.30 fares (each way) to Liverpool St to Sheringham off peak on the NXEC website (with a railcard).

Best of luck.

Richard
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Sorry I meant the NXEA site.
http://www.buytickets.nationalexpresseastanglia.com/combinedmatrix.aspx?Command=TimeTable.

SS4

Established Member

Thanks

Changing in London seems easiest although I don't know how it will affect an "Anglia Plus". Presumably you could buy one from Norwich?

How early is early? The 0529 and 0550 from New St to Euston are designated off-peak and have advances on them for £12.55 <D
Other than that you still get a reasonable deal on Virgin because of their railcard easement. From EUS to BHM there are £4.95 tickets available on the 21:43 and others around that time.

As has been said there are advances between Liverpool St and Sheringham for £5.30 each way
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

That being said XC cost £31.35 from BHM-ELY and £6.95 back if you leave late enough. Also, the £31.35 is an advance and available on morning trains, the first at 0522

Therefore you're probably going to be better off (in terms of funds) sticking with your original plan IMO

Last edited:

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
You can get a Anglia Plus Rover from any staffed ticket office :)

If you want to go (out) via London and back via Peterborough & XC then a change of route on the outward journey is OK, this is half the difference between the two prices.

OwlMan

Established Member
Anytime day returns from
Birmingham - Leicester
Leicester - Stamford
Stamford - Ely
all cost £12 with a railcard before 1000 (you save about a £1 on each after 1000)
so with a Anglia plus day tickrt total cost £51

This means you can get the 0622 to Ely and be in Sheringham before midday

Peter

thewolf

Aha... Advance singles via London seem very much to be my friend.

Can do it for £24 that way and get there for 12.45, which is much earlier than with XC.

Could even make it there an hour earlier - but I'm guessing a 25 minute connection from EUS - LST at 8am is probably a bit of a risk.

SS4

Established Member
Aha... Advance singles via London seem very much to be my friend.

Can do it for £24 that way and get there for 12.45, which is much earlier than with XC.

Could even make it there an hour earlier - but I'm guessing a 25 minute connection from EUS - LST at 8am is probably a bit of a risk.

You should be alright. I would suggest walking (~200m) to Euston Square and then getting a direct tube to Liverpool St as the subsurface lines are much closer to the NR platforms than the Central line (always a nightmare regardless of the time of day)

edit: tfl suggests 19minutes, it depends just how fast you can get to Euston square (IMO 8 minutes is much longer than necessary)

Last edited:

thewolf

Yeah, I always head for Euston Square anyway as its so much quieter than Euston, especially if it has a direct connection.

I still reckon 25 minutes might be pushing it a bit. Especially being completely unfamiliar with Liverpool St. How long is it on the circle,etc from Euston Square round to Liverpool St?

Can always use that extra hour to get a Sausage McMuffin :p

Ivo

Established Member
Euston Square to Liverpool Street is ten minutes if running correctly.

NR recommend a rather ridiculous 43 minutes between the two; half of that will suffice if you have a short wait at Euston Square. Liverpool Street isn't the hardest station to get around; Norwich trains leave from roughly Platform 12. Anywhere from 9 to 12 from the looks of it; the Underground entrance is opposite 6/7.

thewolf

Nah, don't think I'll risk that. Even though it means having 90 minutes to kill - Can't see me making it off the train at EUS (assuming its on time in the first place), down to Euston Square, around to Liverpool Street and onto the Norwich train in 25 mins.

If everything went off like clockwork, it'd probably just be on, but I don't want to end up missing it then being nailed for £29 for an off-peak single.

SS4

Established Member
Nah, don't think I'll risk that. Even though it means having 90 minutes to kill - Can't see me making it off the train at EUS (assuming its on time in the first place), down to Euston Square, around to Liverpool Street and onto the Norwich train in 25 mins.

If everything went off like clockwork, it'd probably just be on, but I don't want to end up missing it then being nailed for £29 for an off-peak single.

Fair enough, you could probably walk to Liverpool Street in that amount of time and save yourself a tube ride ;)
Bear in mind that you'll have to pay for the tube as it won't be covered by the NR, it's £4 each way on paper or £1.90 each way via Oyster

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Fair enough, you could probably walk to Liverpool Street in that amount of time and save yourself a tube ride ;)
Bear in mind that you'll have to pay for the tube as it won't be covered by the NR, it's £4 each way on paper or £1.90 each way via Oyster

Or the 205 bus (towards Bow), £2 cash fare, £1.30 on Oyster). Goes from Euston Bus Station.

thewolf

Probably have a stroll across to Liverpool St in the hour and a half or so I have to change.

Not looking forward to the early start mind you - booked on the 0550 BHM - EUS - Shocker! :o

Status
Not open for further replies.