• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Birmingham Trams

Buzby

I’m spending a couple of days in the WM, and was aware that some services were curtailed due to network enhancements - but in all this time even out to Dudley to see the new bit up Castle Hill, I‘ve not managed to see a single tram. Streets that have been cleared for tram use are like deserts - unless the buses can use them too, and even a question of where could I go to see a tram in operation, resulted in a shoulder shrug. Does anyone know?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dvboy

Established Member
Trams are running between Wolverhampton and Wednesbury Great Western Street only until 9 April, and between Wolverhampton and Wednesbury Parkway only on 2 April

The line towards Dudley isn't open yet.

Chris 76

even a question of where could I go to see a tram in operation, resulted in a shoulder shrug. Does anyone know?
Tram stop electronic displays inform that the service is only running between Wolverhampton and Wednesbury, and there are posters also. The extent of the shutdown is severe. I assume access to the Wednesbury depot is very restricted, but couldn't they have removed a few trams for a Birmingham city centre shuttle, perhaps stabling them at Edgbaston Village?

Northerngirl

but in all this time even out to Dudley to see the new bit up Castle Hill, I‘ve not managed to see a single tram. Streets that have been cleared for tram use are like deserts - unless the buses can use them too, and even a question of where could I go to see a tram in operation, resulted in a shoulder shrug. Does anyone know?
You've got HS2 to thank for that, the idiots won't let Birmingham open the extention it until the station is finished

Buzby

I assumed it was the links around Moor St Station? It just a great pity for such a large city to have one its arteries severed for a seemingly unspecified period of time - the Dudley extension looks good it’s such a shame everything’s ground to a halt.

JJmoogle

I noticed how absent they where visiting yesterday, given the expansion of the network in recent years it's a bit surprising they still only have one depot that can be cut off like that, doesn't seem like they have any sidings or bays either to run a skeleton service if there's plans like this one.

Have they announced any plans to do anything about this?

Chris 76

given the expansion of the network in recent years it's a bit surprising they still only have one depot
One depot is ok for now. The expansion has been by short extensions, and the new Dudley/Brierley Hill line is close to the Wednesbury Depot. If/when the Eastside line is planned beyond Curzon Street and Digbeth through East Birmingham to North Solihull (Chelmsley Wood/Airport/HS2 Interchange) then a new depot should be included. Operational flexibility and resilience are reasons enough, but also spreading job opportunities from network expansion across the region.