• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bishops Stortford to London Terminals Route Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miken

This may seem obvious but after reading the Prosecutions threads I want to be sure of my ground. I have an Anytime Day Single, Bishops Stortford to London Terminals which is marked "Valid via any permitted route". As I want to go to Euston can I take the Victoria line from Tottenham Hale to save me having to go all the way into Liverpool St and then use the Circle/Met to Euston Square or is this ticket only for Liverpool St. Many thanks in advance...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
This may seem obvious but after reading the Prosecutions threads I want to be sure of my ground. I have an Anytime Day Single, Bishops Stortford to London Terminals which is marked "Valid via any permitted route". As I want to go to Euston can I take the Victoria line from Tottenham Hale to save me having to go all the way into Liverpool St and then use the Circle/Met to Euston Square or is this ticket only for Liverpool St. Many thanks in advance...
National Rail tickets are only valid on the London Underground for the purposes of cross-London transfer (where permitted, this is normally indicated by a Maltese Cross ✠), or where the route in question is designated an 'interavailable route', or where they are specifically issued to one or more London Underground Zones.

If you hold a ticket to London Terminals then there is obviously no cross-London transfer included. And whilst there are some interavailable routes involving the Victoria Line, none would apply to this journey.

So if you want to take the Victoria Line from Tottenham Hale to Euston, you could either buy a Bishops Stortford (BIS) to Zone U123* ticket, or split at Tottenham Hale and buy a BIS to Tottenham Hale (TOM) ticket, plus a TOM to Zone U123* ticket - or simply use Oyster/contactless for the Underground.

However, you mention Euston - are you actually making a journey to further afield? If so, this may change which option is cheapest.

Miken

That's really helpful; in this particular case I'm terminating the journey at Euston, indeed a hotel in Tottenham Court Road so in fact Euston Sq (using an oyster card from Liv St) will be slightly closer at the other end. Very useful info for the next time I do this journey, much appreciated, Mike

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
That's really helpful; in this particular case I'm terminating the journey at Euston, indeed a hotel in Tottenham Court Road so in fact Euston Sq (using an oyster card from Liv St) will be slightly closer at the other end. Very useful info for the next time I do this journey, much appreciated, Mike
No problem.

Incidentallyu, faremap.ml indicates that, at times that the Super Off-Peak fare is valid (after 12pm M-F or anytime at weekends/BHs) it would be possible to make this journey slightly cheaper by splitting at Cheshunt (using Oyster/contactless thenceforth). Before 12pm M-F it is cheaper to split at Theobalds Grove (with Oyster/contactless to Euston).

Obviously both of those options are likely to take longer as you will have to exit the station and touch back in, meaning you'll have to wait for the next train.

Status
Not open for further replies.